PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Vash01
02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
On the ice it looked like there was at most a 5 inch difference between Josh and Ashley. If I had to guess, Ashley is probably 5'6" and Josh 5'11".

That sounds more like an ice dance couple than a pair. IMO you really need a bigger difference in heights for pairs, considering the complex lifts they are doing these days. Babilonia-Gardner were almost equal in heights and it always amazed me how Randy was able to lift Tai. Not everyone can do it.

judgejudy27
02-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Babilonia-Gardner were almost equal in heights and it always amazed me how Randy was able to lift Tai. Not everyone can do it.

Their lifts were never that strong though, and their twist was very weak. Probably due to the hieight issue. That is the main reaosn they probably would have never beaten Irina Rodnina.

bek
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I think this underplays how devastated Rudy was when Kristi decided to focus on singles - and "devastated" is an understatement. During my years in the skating community, I've witnessed some awful breakups, but Rudy is only one that I can recall who became suicidal. He had given up his own successful singles career and followed Kristi to Edmonton, Alberta, among other sacrifices, and the way

Rudy is enormously lucky that protease inhibitors became available in 1995 and non-nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in 1996. It's easy to forget what HIV treatment looked like before the current antiretrovirals were available, but I can never forget the first time that I went to the situation was handled was truly awful. Rudy has admitted that he became so depressed that he had a "death wish" and knowingly engaged in risky sexual practices - which in the early 1990s in certain circles or geographic locations was akin to playing Russian Roulette with your life. say good-bye to a skater dying of AIDS and saw his medication: horse-sized pills that needed to be taken every eight hours, that triggered gag reflexes and diarrhea, which merely meant that another dose of the medication had to be taken. The medication regimes were a full-time job and prolonged life only by a few years. It was an absolute horror. And it was an absolute horror to watch skater after judge after coach succumb to some of the most horrible deaths imaginable. It was a nightmare, waiting to hear who was next, who was gone before we knew, watching amazing, talented people be struck down - and none of us could do anything. The only thing that could have been done - skater education - was routinely quashed by TPTB. You see, we don't have a gay problem in this sport, so no need to acknowledge that gay disease.

I frequently wonder what many of those young men would be doing now. We lost enormous talents: would they have become coaches, choreographers, judges? would they be accountants, plumbers, auto workers, lawyers - even spouses and parents? For all that the Association has done to memorialize the generation lost in 1961, I wish that we could do something to memorialize those lost in the first decade of the HIV epidemic - but that would involve acknowledging what and who we lost, and I'm not sure we're there yet.

I'm not in the know so I don't know devestated he was. But now at least in terms of his career, it turned out okay for him in the end. He was always an incredibly talented skater.. I can't help thinking though if loss of a job, or significant other, etc will make someone turn to risky behaviors that there's something more perhaps wrong going on than just losing that job, or that signficant other. From what I heard his life was extremely tough, and so seemingly skating success was something he really clung too, makes sense. That was taking away. Add in as I just read losing his coaches, brother, mother father, and well. Perhaps it wouldn't have happened if him and Kristi had stayed together; since he would have had skating to clean too. But also then again perhaps if the other things hadn't happened but Kristi/him split it would have been fine too, hence "my more was going on."
I'm really glad though that Rudy seems to have found peace. This being said I can't believe Kristi didn't talk to Rudy herself about it; the least she could have done.

Vash01
02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I have not read Rudy's book 'Icebreaker'. May be that explains everything that happened to him, what he was going through. He was very young (19-20?) when his coach died, then another coach, his brother, and other family members. That's too much to handle at any age. Rudy won the nationals when he was 26, so I am guessing that between 19 and 25 he had experienced more tragedy than most people experience by the time they are 50. Skating pairs with Kristi was one of the few good things in his life, so it is very understandable if he was totally devastated when she decided not to skate pairs anymore.

I am happy that Rudy's story has a happy ending, but he went through a lot of pain and suffering before he got there.

olympic
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Speaking of now single male pairs skaters, I see that Ivan Dimitrov is now available. I watched him on IN. He brings a lot of power to throws and lifts, but seems a bit unrefined, even wild! Yet, hits a decent position when he can.

He's listed as being only 5-9? He seems a little taller than that. Rockne is 5-9 and Ivan looks bigger.

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Ivan Dimitrov lists his height as 5'11" in his icepartnersearch bio.

Here's a summary of U.S. pair skaters currently listed on icepartnersearch.com who have competed at US Nationals in Novice-Senior within the last few years:

Ivan Dimitrov (his partner, Alexa Scimeca, was listed earlier but not now)
Caitlin Yankowskas (2011, Senior)
Lindsay Davis (2011, Senior)
Cassie Andrews (2012, Senior); Timothy LeDuc is not listed
Joe Lynch (2011, Senior)
Drew Meekins (2009, Senior)
Adam Civiello (2010 JGP competitor)
Chad Phillips (2012, Novice)
Danielle Viola (2012, Novice)
Lianna Thomas (2012, Novice)

Rochelle
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Interesting that while Cain/Reagan have already been removed from the US Figure Skating International Selection Pool and Team Envelopes, that Andrews/LeDuc are still listed.

Perhaps their split is not certain yet, and instead is just still TBD?

Not that a TBD circumstance usually (ever?) pans out for a partnership to continue, particularly if one is already listing themselves on a partner search... but perhaps other issues are at play (injury/health concerns, etc. -- which could improve, or take a turn for the worst -- and may cause a team to start looking but not announce to US Figure Skating that they're officially splitting).

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
AFAIK, Skaters aren't removed from USFS' Team Envelope and/or ISP listings unless they officially notify USFS headquarters of their split. Just being listed on IPS is not considered an official notification.

ETA: The final envelope funding check for this season reportedly is scheduled to go out at the end of April, according to someone in the US Ice Dance splits thread, and Andrews/LeDuc are likely waiting until then before officially notifying USFS.

pinky166
02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
That sounds more like an ice dance couple than a pair. IMO you really need a bigger difference in heights for pairs, considering the complex lifts they are doing these days. Babilonia-Gardner were almost equal in heights and it always amazed me how Randy was able to lift Tai. Not everyone can do it.

Josh and Ashley never did a 3twist in competition did they? So I think that element in particular is hard to accomplish when the size difference is smaller between a pair. They were able to complete throw triples nicely probably because Ashley is a strong jumper on her own and as she is very thin, not very heavy to throw in the air. But I imagine the height of a skater comes in to play a lot more in a twist, even if one is very light, the extra length makes it difficult to pull the twist off.

winterone
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
IMO Josh has come a long way but he is not exactly ready for being one of the top pairs guys. Josh's skating skills are very average.He is an average jumper at best, its a big deal when he lands a trip that is not under rotated. Ashley has had to fast inorder for him to lift her. She is tall but not heavy. I don't think he spends much time in the gym.

I agree with the previous post that said She was the "IT" factor in that team. It's a shame she will have to stay in Dallas.

Lacey
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
ETA: The final envelope funding check for this season reportedly is scheduled to go out at the end of April, according to someone in the US Ice Dance splits thread, and Andrews/LeDuc are likely waiting until then before officially notifying USFS.

I must have missed something, then why did Cain/Reagan not wait too?

kwanfan1818
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
It does seem odd, because not announcing doesn't seem to stop skaters from becoming engaged to someone else before the divorce is final.

Skittl1321
02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I must have missed something, then why did Cain/Reagan not wait too?

I didn't see their list on the Team USA envelopes, so they weren't getting funding (unless I missed them). Andrews/LeDuc were in envelope Team C.

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Cain/Reagan were in Team B this season before they were removed after their official press release was published yesterday.

shan
02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe finding a new partner took precedence over the final check?