PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Theatregirl1122
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
And quite a few people felt emily samuelson's ex partner was right to dump her, now that they've seen him skate with shorter, skinnier partner.

People saw Chock and Bates and thought Evan was better off? Madison may be shorter and skinnier but she is not Emily's equal in technique.

(Sorry, off topic)

johndockley92
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
someone--just a few posts up--say both reagan and leduc feel they are skating with yankowkas.

if he has a better offer, this would be a good way to send his old partner packing. how did rudy feel at the time when kristi dumped him, even if all these years later they all get along and he's coaching her daughter?

granted, cain has more options. and quite a few people felt emily samuelson's ex partner was right to dump her, now that they've seen him skate with shorter, skinnier partner. perhaps some folks are waiting to see where the dust settles before saying anything.

i should have refrained. it's just the gleeful speculation of his partnering with yankowkas rubbed me the wrong way-- a bit like dancing on someone's grave, in a way.

but that's all right. i'm already done with it. reagan, great name, has the right to get the most out of his sore muscles and coaching dollars, to advance his career, fulfill the american dream. this doesn't hurt me one tenth as much as when artur d. said that maybe he will skate with another partner during m & d's interview and made natalia m. cry on camera.

pairs schmerrs.

Yeah right. From what I hear, he's a spoiled rich kid who doesn't work hard at all. He ended all the pairs sessions early because he didn't want to work anymore, meanwhile she was doing the singles in addition to the pairs.

ALSO, I've heard from a few people down there that he had the guts to call Ashley FAT on two occasions in the past week, once leading up to the breakup, and another time when he was giving her reasons on why he was dumping her. Not a fan of this kid, if you can't tell :P

aftershocks
02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I think this underplays how devastated Rudy was when Kristi decided to focus on singles - and "devastated" is an understatement. During my years in the skating community, I've witnessed some awful breakups, but Rudy is only one that I can recall who became suicidal. He had given up his own successful singles career and followed Kristi to Toronto, among other sacrifices, and the way the situation was handled was truly awful. Rudy has admitted that he became so depressed that he had a "death wish" and knowingly engaged in risky sexual practices - which in the early 1990s in certain circles or geographic locations was akin to playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Rudy is enormously lucky that protease inhibitors became available in 1995 and non-nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in 1996. It's easy to forget what HIV treatment looked like before the current antiretrovirals were available, but I can never forget the first time that I went to say good-bye to a skater dying of AIDS and saw his medication: horse-sized pills that needed to be taken every eight hours, that triggered gag reflexes and diarrhea, which merely meant that another dose of the medication had to be taken. The medication regimes were a full-time job and prolonged life only by a few years. It was an absolute horror. And it was an absolute horror to watch skater after judge after coach succumb to some of the most horrible deaths imaginable. It was a nightmare, waiting to hear who was next, who was gone before we knew, watching amazing, talented people be struck down - and none of us could do anything. The only thing that could have been done - skater education - was routinely quashed by TPTB. You see, we don't have a gay problem in this sport, so no need to acknowledge that gay disease.

I frequently wonder what many of those young men would be doing now. We lost enormous talents: would they have become coaches, choreographers, judges? would they be accountants, plumbers, auto workers, lawyers - even spouses and parents? For all that the Association has done to memorialize the generation lost in 1961, I wish that we could do something to memorialize those lost in the first decade of the HIV epidemic - but that would involve acknowledging what and who we lost, and I'm not sure we're there yet.

Thanks very much for your post, 5Ali3. I for one appreciate your speaking up on behalf of all those in the fs community who died of AIDS and HIV.

ITA re how poorly the Kristi/ Rudy split was handled -- the fact that Kristi was not allowed to speak with Rudy directly was perhaps the most devastating for him. Rudy reveals some of what happened and his emotions in his biography.

ETA:
From what I heard at the time and have read since, I don't think it was Kristi's decision to split with Rudy. The decision was made for her, and I suppose she was convinced that it was the only way she would be able to achieve her dream of winning Olympic gold. However, I find it hard to believe that Kristi would not have been upset about not being allowed to speak directly to Rudy (albeit Rudy admits his moodiness, especially during the time their pairs coach was ill and things weren't going smoothly. It is pretty awful that Rudy was pressured during the partnership to forget about the fact that he realized he was gay).

Skittl1321
02-26-2012, 12:05 AM
He's also listed as 6-1 :shuffle: He was born in 1990 (young), and a move to MI from IA probably wouldn't be a big move.

But, he's not listed on Ice Partner Search [is that the name?] So, maybe he doesn't want to continue skating?
----

Is the eye roll because you don't think he is actually 6-1? Tim is REALLY tall. I'd believe 6-1. It is uncomfortable to talk to him standing because I have to look up so much (I'm quite short though).

He plans to continue skating. I don't know if he knows what his actual plans are yet or not. He lives in IN right now, his is just from IA. I can't imagine he plans to stay there though, since he moved for Cassie.

He needs an artistic partner- he is very powerful, but quite artistic- I think that style brings out the best in him.

hippychick
02-26-2012, 12:06 AM
FAT[/b] on two occasions in the past week, once leading up to the breakup, and another time when he was giving her reasons on why he was dumping her. Not a fan of this kid, if you can't tell :P

If he was having a difficult time lifting Ashley I find it hard to believe that he would have an easier time with Caitlin. Caitlin is at least 5'3 possibly a little taller and has a much more womanly figure than Ashley who was very slender. Neither girl is "fat" or heavy in any way. Ashley definitely was the star of that team. From what I have seen of Reagan he would definitely have to work on his lines and extensions and more consistency in his jumps.

Hopefully both Ashely and Caitlin can fin partners worthy of them.

Also so happy to hear about Donlan and Speroff winning the EDI award for their LP to Sleeping Beauty. It is a gorgeous program. Saw it posted on You tube so for those of you who don't have icenetwork access take a look.

Skittl1321
02-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Just thought I'd note that for some reason - both Tim Leduc and Josh Reagan feel that they are skating with Caitlin Y, I'm sure this had something to do with the break up.

Have you heard this from them? Or just from fans? I've seen fans say they hope either of them end up with Caitlin, but it would be a really unfortunate situation if they both thing they have a partner...

olympic
02-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Is the eye roll because you don't think he is actually 6-1? Tim is REALLY tall. I'd believe 6-1. It is uncomfortable to talk to him standing because I have to look up so much (I'm quite short though).

He plans to continue skating. I don't know if he knows what his actual plans are yet or not. He lives in IN right now, his is just from IA. I can't imagine he plans to stay there though, since he moved for Cassie.

He needs an artistic partner- he is very powerful, but quite artistic- I think that style brings out the best in him.

The shuffle was for the fact that heights listed for skaters always seems to be wrong.

Living in IN is quite close to MI. Seriously, he may want to look up Caitlin if he's interested in continuing to skate. Especially if an 'artistic partner' would bring out the best in him

johndockley92
02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Have you heard this from them? Or just from fans? I've seen fans say they hope either of them end up with Caitlin, but it would be a really unfortunate situation if they both thing they have a partner...

Heard this from a usfs source.

Rafter
02-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Then the split really makes no sense at all to me.

I thought it was because Denney and Coughlin are a couple?

olympic
02-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Does this source indicate that BOTH Tim and Josh coincidentally split with Cassie and Ashley for this reason [skate with Caitlin], or just Josh??

johndockley92
02-26-2012, 12:31 AM
^^ Just Josh.

Skittl1321
02-26-2012, 12:31 AM

That is really unfortunate... I hope they both find partners. (If Josh ends up with Caitlyn, maybe Tim could skate with Ashley... But I think Tim would look fantastic with Cailtyn.)

Rather than a USFS try out maybe we could have all the US pairs stand in concentric circles each year and rotate one to the right- everyone gets a new partner! No one is left out.

madm
02-26-2012, 12:46 AM
I thought it was because Denney and Coughlin are a couple?

AFIK Denny and Coughlin started dating after the pair team split, not before.

GarrAarghHrumph
02-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Pair-lifts-with-a-tire-and-other-such-exercises are extremely valuable and are underutilized as training tools in the U.S., IMHO. Two non-human-lift-improvement-tools that I think are particularly useful are a sandbag, because the weight is unstable/unpredictable, and a cup of water, because there's no motivator to improve one's mohawks quite like getting soaked while in a freezing ice rink. :lol:

Oh, goodness. If my coach made me carry a cup of water while doing my mohawks, I'd soak the entire rink.

Yukari Lepisto
02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Is the "Tim trying out with Caitlin" a speculation? or did it really happen?

I don't think either Tim or Josh is the perfect partner for Caitlin, there are pros and cons for both guys I think, but I'd give the slight edge to Tim after watching the videos on Icenetwork closely again.