PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

zoe111
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I think Ashley is actually taller than what is listed on her bio. There are pictures on her facebook from JGP Romania i think next to McKinzie Daniels and she looks to be just a whisker taller than McKinzie, who lists herself as 5' 6".

Possibly the situation is simply that Ashley has grown and is tall enough that she makes josh look shorter than he is. If that is correct, i agree with the poster above that the pairs elements may have been getting more difficult and he may have felt that they had taken it as far as they could, despite their success.

olympic
02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Just thought I'd note that for some reason - both Tim Leduc and Josh Reagan feel that they are skating with Caitlin Y, I'm sure this had something to do with the break up.

Ashley is an amazing skater and if in fact Josh does skate with Caitlin Y, I would hope that she finds a good partner. Tim's nice lines and good jumps may be a good fit for her btw!

Thought I'd throw my quote in from a few weeks ago :)

I just strolled over to IN to re-watch Andrews/LeDuc's LP at Nats, focusing on him. He's got really decent basics - stroking, extension, and he can also jump. He's also listed as 6-1 :shuffle: He was born in 1990 (young), and a move to MI from IA probably wouldn't be a big move.

But, he's not listed on Ice Partner Search [is that the name?] So, maybe he doesn't want to continue skating?
----

ETA - I also rewatched C/R, focusing on him. I think Josh has less flair and a little less extension than Tim, but he looks stronger in lifts and throws. I imagine he would have good core strength lifting/throwing Ashley who is 5-5 or 5-6

yfbg722
02-25-2012, 03:46 PM
But, he's not listed on Ice Partner Search [is that the name?] So, maybe he doesn't want to continue skating?

Not all skaters use IPS. The pairs/dance world is actually pretty small and connected. Many just use their connections to forge new partnerships.

bek
02-25-2012, 04:07 PM
i don't know anything about the situation, but my knee jerk reaction (aside from going into mourning, as a cain/reagan fan) is... this sounds like a convenient excuse to dump somebody. and it depresses me that so many people are already excitedly cheering a yankowkas/reagan pairing. i felt as sympathetic to yankowkas as anyone here last year, but now i just... whatever. pairs shmerrs. i've given up.

perhaps next year, in this thread, we'll read about a yankowkas/reagan split. who will be excited then?

I don't think height difference and her dual committments are convenient excuses they are perfectly valid reasons for the split. The height difference can make pairs element more difficult and I suspect could make injuries easier too. Being well matched IS important. Unless she finds another partner, she truly does have a better future in singles.

pinky166
02-25-2012, 04:16 PM
On the ice it looked like there was at most a 5 inch difference between Josh and Ashley. If I had to guess, Ashley is probably 5'6" and Josh 5'11".

skfan
02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think height difference and her dual committments are convenient excuses they are perfectly valid reasons for the split. The height difference can make pairs element more difficult and I suspect could make injuries easier too. Being well matched IS important. Unless she finds another partner, she truly does have a better future in singles.

someone--just a few posts up--say both reagan and leduc feel they are skating with yankowkas.

if he has a better offer, this would be a good way to send his old partner packing. how did rudy feel at the time when kristi dumped him, even if all these years later they all get along and he's coaching her daughter?

granted, cain has more options. and quite a few people felt emily samuelson's ex partner was right to dump her, now that they've seen him skate with shorter, skinnier partner. perhaps some folks are waiting to see where the dust settles before saying anything.

i should have refrained. it's just the gleeful speculation of his partnering with yankowkas rubbed me the wrong way-- a bit like dancing on someone's grave, in a way.

but that's all right. i'm already done with it. reagan, great name, has the right to get the most out of his sore muscles and coaching dollars, to advance his career, fulfill the american dream. this doesn't hurt me one tenth as much as when artur d. said that maybe he will skate with another partner during m & d's interview and made natalia m. cry on camera.

pairs schmerrs.

blue_idealist
02-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Artur Dmitriev said he might dump Natalia in an interview, in front of her? I never knew that.. wow.

blue_idealist
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I can totally see where Joshua is coming from that he wants a partner to soley dedicate themselves to the pairs discipline. In an Icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110829&content_id=23895384&vkey=ice_news)from late August of last year, it said he lifted car tire during practice when Ashley was not present (I guess during her single skating competitions). He then said that using the tire was never fun.

It's still sad to see them break-up when they had a promising future. Here's wishing both Joshua and Ashley the best.

Wow, a car tire?! lmao. I can see how he wouldn't like that!

bek
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
someone--just a few posts up--say both reagan and leduc feel they are skating with yankowkas.

if he has a better offer, this would be a good way to send his old partner packing. how did rudy feel at the time when kristi dumped him, even if all these years later they all get along and he's coaching her daughter?

granted, cain has more options. and quite a few people felt emily samuelson's ex partner was right to dump her, now that they've seen him skate with shorter, skinnier partner. perhaps some folks are waiting to see where the dust settles before saying anything.

Rudy may have hated it but things DID turn out okay for him in the end he's a National champion/and a world bronze medalist. Kristi wasn't wrong to make the decision she did; and to be quite frank whose to say if Ashley's singles career picked up she wouldn't pull a Kristi?

And as for the shorter/thinner comment. The fact of the matter is that being a good physical match matters. Its easy to dismiss this when you don't have to do the lifting, or be lifted. Ashley is an absolutely gorgeous girl but her height might very well be an issue in pairs. Too bad they weren't a dance team.

At the end of the day its not a marriage, and everyone has to do what works best for them... The issue I found with the whole Caitlynn/Denny thing was not that I didn't think John had the right to switch partners; but that the decision to leave didn't make sense.

skfan
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Artur Dmitriev said he might dump Natalia in an interview, in front of her? I never knew that.. wow.

yup. i think it was at landover / world pro, or maybe it was challenge of champions? one of those pro competitions. i would say i have it on tape, but i may have deleted it in a rage :lol:

anyway, it's par for the course. reagan and yankowkas and many other fine skaters in the pairs division have talents that the world deserve to see.

i feel sad, because i liked cain/reagan, i like their close heights--it gave me a protopopovs feel, as opposed to the gorilla and flea feel.

when it comes to pairs, i just have to remember not to get attached.

Vash01
02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
At the end of the day its not a marriage, and everyone has to do what works best for them... The issue I found with the whole Caitlynn/Denny thing was not that I didn't think John had the right to switch partners; but that the decision to leave didn't make sense.

:encore::respec:

I agree that on the surface it did not make sense for Y&C to split. We don't know what went on behind the scenes- could be personality issues that could not be resolved. It is always shocking when a pair splits after a successful season. Another example is Ina & Dungjen splitting after a 4th place finish at the 98 Olympics.

For C&R it is understandable for two reasons- 1)Ashley spending part of her time on singles, 2)Ashley is a tall girl, which makes it more difficult to lift her.

Like you said, it's not a marriage, so splitting is not such a big deal. I just wish it would not happen so often, but that's just me.

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I always wondered with the Coughlin / Yankowskas split whether the Denney's weren't better able to provide needed funds than the Yankowskas's.

That could certainly be a motivator that would not be obvious to the fans.

madm
02-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I always wondered with the Coughlin / Yankowskas split whether the Denney's weren't better able to provide needed funds than the Yankowskas's.

That could certainly be a motivator that would not be obvious to the fans.

I hate to comment on anyone's financial matters, but money did not appear to be an issue for Caitlin's family when she was skating with John. Her dad is a dentist in NH/MA, and her older sister is mid 20s and working. Denney's are maintaining two households in CO and FL, with the dad working as a sales manager at a Toyota dealership in FL. The Denney's have a lot of financial strain with two teenagers skating at the elite level, two homes to lease/own, and airfare for family visits.

Here's a Tampa article about the Denney family: http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article1071094.ece

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Then the split really makes no sense at all to me.

5Ali3
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Rudy may have hated it but things DID turn out okay for him in the end he's a National champion/and a world bronze medalist.

I think this underplays how devastated Rudy was when Kristi decided to focus on singles - and "devastated" is an understatement. During my years in the skating community, I've witnessed some awful breakups, but Rudy is only one that I can recall who became suicidal. He had given up his own successful singles career and followed Kristi to Edmonton, Alberta, among other sacrifices, and the way the situation was handled was truly awful. Rudy has admitted that he became so depressed that he had a "death wish" and knowingly engaged in risky sexual practices - which in the early 1990s in certain circles or geographic locations was akin to playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Rudy is enormously lucky that protease inhibitors became available in 1995 and non-nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in 1996. It's easy to forget what HIV treatment looked like before the current antiretrovirals were available, but I can never forget the first time that I went to say good-bye to a skater dying of AIDS and saw his medication: horse-sized pills that needed to be taken every eight hours, that triggered gag reflexes and diarrhea, which merely meant that another dose of the medication had to be taken. The medication regimes were a full-time job and prolonged life only by a few years. It was an absolute horror. And it was an absolute horror to watch skater after judge after coach succumb to some of the most horrible deaths imaginable. It was a nightmare, waiting to hear who was next, who was gone before we knew, watching amazing, talented people be struck down - and none of us could do anything. The only thing that could have been done - skater education - was routinely quashed by TPTB. You see, we don't have a gay problem in this sport, so no need to acknowledge that gay disease.

I frequently wonder what many of those young men would be doing now. We lost enormous talents: would they have become coaches, choreographers, judges? would they be accountants, plumbers, auto workers, lawyers - even spouses and parents? For all that the Association has done to memorialize the generation lost in 1961, I wish that we could do something to memorialize those lost in the first decade of the HIV epidemic - but that would involve acknowledging what and who we lost, and I'm not sure we're there yet.