PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pinky166
02-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Amanda Dobbs trains at the same rink as Ashley and Joshua and didn't qualify for nationals in ladies this season, I wonder if she'd ever consider just doing pairs and teaming up with Joshua. She doesn't look nearly as tall as Ashley so it probably would be a good match size wise.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 03:01 AM
I rather doubt Reagan will stick around since Ashley Cain's father was one of their coaches.

I think this was bound to happen, as Ashley Cain is extremely tall for pairs. Josh is not a short guy, but looked small next to her. There were elements that they would have had major troubles improving strictly because of the big lack of height difference. It's really unfortunate because Ashley is a very strong, beautiful pair skater, and with more of a height difference, I think she and Josh would have become a top US pair. But she's really more suited height-wise for singles. I'm surprised Josh, supposedly, told her he split just because of her singles skating. Her height seemed like a far more glaring issue, and I don't think it would have been insulting to her if he told her he was seeking a shorter partner.
I agree. Nice worded post!

ryanbfan
02-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Ashley posted on her fb that Josh told her it was because of her competing in singles.

Ashley is 5'4" or 5'5". She told me once, it's one of the two.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Ashley posted on her fb that Josh told her it was because of her competing in singles.
It's the same message she tweeted earlier (see post #581 in this thread, one page back).

ryanbfan
02-25-2012, 03:53 AM
It's the same message she tweeted earlier (see post #581 in this thread).

It's in the other thread (the have any pairs split yet one) ;), and yes it is the same message. Poor girl, she seems so sad about it.

oleada
02-25-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm really happy Donlan/Sperof got the PSA award for their free skate. It was a beautiful performance :)

shan
02-25-2012, 03:59 AM
I love that Gretchan and Andrew were awarded the Professional Skaters Association EDI Award for Best Pairs Performance at the 2012 U.S. for their free skate.

:cheer2: Beautiful performance!!
The last throw in the program was :swoon:

feraina
02-25-2012, 06:21 AM
This would never happen, and I'm not wishing for another breakup, but Eric Radford and Ashley Cain would make a *beautiful* couple on ice. Can you just imagine the stunning image they'd strike together?! Too bad he's Canadian... and Duhamel/Radford is a sentimental favorite (for me).

HeatherC
02-25-2012, 06:23 AM
So happy that Gretchen & Andrew's beautiful LP was rewarded with the PSA award! :cheer:

Vash01
02-25-2012, 07:03 AM
It is tough to be skating both pairs and singles. Kristi Yamaguchi ended her promising pairs career to focus on singles (although in her case distance was a big issue- San Jose/LA? for pairs vs. Edmonton for singles). May be Reagan felt that he could not get enough practice time with Ashley because she had to spend time on her singles skating. It's hard to tell if they had discussed this, but the split is understandable although it disappoints me. May be Ashley can now focus on her singles skating and move up.

johndockley92
02-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Just thought I'd note that for some reason - both Tim Leduc and Josh Reagan feel that they are skating with Caitlin Y, I'm sure this had something to do with the break up.

Ashley is an amazing skater and if in fact Josh does skate with Caitlin Y, I would hope that she finds a good partner. Tim's nice lines and good jumps may be a good fit for her btw!

Thought I'd throw my quote in from a few weeks ago :)

I know we're talking about break-ups and how they're bad and all, but does anybody else think that Ashley Cain would be better suited with a different partner? Only thing Josh is really good at is jumps in my opinion

rfisher
02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I love that Gretchan and Andrew were awarded the Professional Skaters Association EDI Award for Best Pairs Performance at the 2012 U.S. for their free skate.

:cheer2: I'd be far more upset if this team had split than I am re Cain/Reagan. They are my favorite senior team.

reese
02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
:cheer2: I'd be far more upset if this team had split than I am re Cain/Reagan. They are my favorite senior team.

The posters is this thread, myself included, would need therapy if D/S split. :)

5Ali3
02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
[Reagan's] IN profile lists him as 6-1. Is that correct?

:shuffle:

(To be fair, pair skaters' heights have built-in error terms. It's like how every woman tends to subtract 10 pounds from weight when asked.)

I can totally see where Joshua is coming from that he wants a partner to soley dedicate themselves to the pairs discipline. In an Icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110829&content_id=23895384&vkey=ice_news)from late August of last year, it said he lifted car tire during practice when Ashley was not present (I guess during her single skating competitions). He then said that using the tire was never fun.

Pair-lifts-with-a-tire-and-other-such-exercises are extremely valuable and are underutilized as training tools in the U.S., IMHO. Two non-human-lift-improvement-tools that I think are particularly useful are a sandbag, because the weight is unstable/unpredictable, and a cup of water, because there's no motivator to improve one's mohawks quite like getting soaked while in a freezing ice rink. :lol:

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Speaking of which (Mohawks), Peter Carruthers called out Josh's Mohawks as very, very good in the FD at US Nationals, so Josh does have more than jumps. AFAIR C&R only did a double twist though.