PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

LilJen
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
:( Seemed like they had a really good thing going there. . . but I guess if she wanted to focus less time on pairs than he did, well. . .

love_skate2011
02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
oh well, another promising us pair is down the drain
just can't hold it together . :(

good luck to Ashley's singles career

kiss-n-cry
02-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Caitlyn is in Detroit; maybe Josh could move up there? If he is focused on pairs, I would think he'd be willing to make the move.

Was this team (partially) coached by Ashley's father?

Sylvia
02-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Cain/Reagan were coached by Peter Cain, Ashley's father, and David Kirby.

Caitlin Y. is currently based in Canton, Michigan; she lists Johnny Johns and Marina Zueva as her coaches in her icepartnersearch bio.

stjeaskategym
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
oh well, another promising us pair is down the drain
just can't hold it together . :(

I think this was bound to happen, as Ashley Cain is extremely tall for pairs. Josh is not a short guy, but looked small next to her. There were elements that they would have had major troubles improving strictly because of the big lack of height difference. It's really unfortunate because Ashley is a very strong, beautiful pair skater, and with more of a height difference, I think she and Josh would have become a top US pair. But she's really more suited height-wise for singles. I'm surprised Josh, supposedly, told her he split just because of her singles skating. Her height seemed like a far more glaring issue, and I don't think it would have been insulting to her if he told her he was seeking a shorter partner.

pinky166
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm sad for C/R

His IN profile lists him as 6-1. Is that correct?

Anyway, I'm really intrigued by a possible pairing with Caitlin Yankowskas. He can jump [SBS 3sals and 2x-2t-2t at Nats] and his height would make a good pairing for her. Also, it sounds like from Ashley's tweet above he wants someone to commit to pairs, which Ashley wasn't willing to do. So, he sounds like he wants to keep skating.

Now would be a good time to form a partnership, too - towards the end of the season.

Someone would have to dye their hair, both very blonde :P
Would he be willing to move from TX to OH [or wherever Caitlin is] ?

If Ashley is actually only her listed 5'5" I have a hard time believing Josh is 6'1" as they looked pretty close in height. He looks more like 5'11" next to Ashley, but maybe he is actually 6'1" and Ashley just grew. Regardless, he would be a good match size wise (and I feel style wise, too) for Caitlin who is 5'2"/5'3". Also maybe Caitlin would be willing to relocate? She's from New Hampshire right? But moved to Colorado Springs for Coughlin, so she may be willing to go to Texas for Joshua. Idk. Good luck to Ashley in singles though, she was really good at Nationals this year!

olympic
02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
If Ashley is actually only her listed 5'5" I have a hard time believing Josh is 6'1" as they looked pretty close in height. He looks more like 5'11" next to Ashley, but maybe he is actually 6'1" and Ashley just grew. Regardless, he would be a good match size wise (and I feel style wise, too) for Caitlin who is 5'2"/5'3". Also maybe Caitlin would be willing to relocate? She's from New Hampshire right? But moved to Colorado Springs for Coughlin, so she may be willing to go to Texas for Joshua. Idk. Good luck to Ashley in singles though, she was really good at Nationals this year!

I googled pics of C/R and it looks like Josh is notably taller OFF the ice, but I agree that on the ice they look close in height.

Y/R would be a good couple. I think they would benefit more training in Detroit than in Dallas. But, anyway, we should wait to see if they even try-out ;)

pinky166
02-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Wesley Campbell does pairs and is 6'3" or 6'4". He's probably one of the few guys out there who would be a good match height wise for Ashley. If Cain really does want to continue to do pairs like she said, finding a suitable partner will be a real issue. She'd need someone well over 6 feet ideally. So Wesley Campbell might not be a bad idea, and he is legitimately really tall.

Also I wonder if Amanda Dobbs would be willing to give up singles to skate with Josh? She's already in Texas and is at least an inch or two shorter than Ashley, and after not making it to nationals this season in singles, she might be up for focusing just on pairs.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Wesley Campbell is a clockwise rotator, however.

pinky166
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Wesley Campbell is a clockwise rotator, however.

Oh darn you're right. I remember people making jokes about how he and Alissa should team up a couple years ago before Alissa had her breakthrough, and now i remember why - they both jump clockwise!

skfan
02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
I think this was bound to happen, as Ashley Cain is extremely tall for pairs. Josh is not a short guy, but looked small next to her. There were elements that they would have had major troubles improving strictly because of the big lack of height difference. It's really unfortunate because Ashley is a very strong, beautiful pair skater, and with more of a height difference, I think she and Josh would have become a top US pair. But she's really more suited height-wise for singles. I'm surprised Josh, supposedly, told her he split just because of her singles skating. Her height seemed like a far more glaring issue, and I don't think it would have been insulting to her if he told her he was seeking a shorter partner.

i don't know anything about the situation, but my knee jerk reaction (aside from going into mourning, as a cain/reagan fan) is... this sounds like a convenient excuse to dump somebody. and it depresses me that so many people are already excitedly cheering a yankowkas/reagan pairing. i felt as sympathetic to yankowkas as anyone here last year, but now i just... whatever. pairs shmerrs. i've given up.

perhaps next year, in this thread, we'll read about a yankowkas/reagan split. who will be excited then?

kwanfan1818
02-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Seeing D/C and M/B live at 4CC there is no doubt in my mind that M/B will be taking the top spot in US pairs before long. They look fantastic already and the potential is all there. Wishing them all the best!
I thought the opposite seeing them at 4C's. M/B's elements looked small, while D/C's elements are big and powerful, and they skate with confidence.

hlp728
02-25-2012, 02:02 AM
I can totally see where Joshua is coming from that he wants a partner to soley dedicate themselves to the pairs discipline. In an Icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110829&content_id=23895384&vkey=ice_news)from late August of last year, it said he lifted car tire during practice when Ashley was not present (I guess during her single skating competitions). He then said that using the tire was never fun.

It's still sad to see them break-up when they had a promising future. Here's wishing both Joshua and Ashley the best.

hlp728
02-25-2012, 02:43 AM
I love that Gretchan and Andrew were awarded the Professional Skaters Association EDI Award for Best Pairs Performance at the 2012 U.S. for their free skate.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 02:47 AM
^^^ Great to hear! :cheer: Do you have a source link? ETA: Never mind, I found it on the PSA's Facebook page. :)

Congratulations to the winners of the EDI Awards for Best Performance at the 2012 U.S. Championships in San Jose, CA:

Pairs - Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff – Pairs Free Skate