PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

~tapdancer~
02-04-2012, 03:15 AM
I don't know what it is about Rockne and Mary Beth that causes people to decide that a problem they've had once is a reoccurring problem. When Mary Beth had problems at SA, everyone was going on about how she and Rockne should split up because she obviously wasn't good enough for him and had huge problems landing her SBS jumps. Now that Rockne messed up at Nationals and she was perfect, suddenly everyone thinks she should ditch him because he has problems with his SBS jumps. Someone having a bad day isn't a pattern. Let's see how they do at 4CC and Worlds.
Agree! I love how some folks need that instant gratification. I think they are doing fantastically for the short time together.

dinakt
02-04-2012, 03:54 AM
I was extremely impressed with MaryBeth and Rockne during the Nationals. I became a fan, and they match up much better this year. Wishing them tons of luck.

Nomad
02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
^ I certainly enjoyed them more at this year's Nat's. I loved their SP.

love_skate2011
02-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Interesting, since Powers/Powers competed at Philippines Nationals in the Junior level (both are still in high school) this year, and I think they were the only pair team to compete this year. (Perhaps in recent years?).

Philippines might be a bit of a pairs power house in a few years! ;) Would be nice, given 4CC has entries from CAN, CHN, USA, and one lone JPN entry. :>/

nice. I've been noticing a lot of people with dual citizenship
switching to skate for their home countries. Philippines has had new
ladies, mens and now pairs from the us !! all they need now is an ice dance team

well good luck

bek
02-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Agree! I love how some folks need that instant gratification. I think they are doing fantastically for the short time together.

I can't help feeling that makes us US fans part of the pair splitting problem. Rockne's landed plenty of triples in the past, and Mary Beth was a fairly successful Jr skater at the National level with way harder jumps than 3 toes.

I'm glad though it was Rockne who made the mistakes not Mary Beth because I felt people were way too harsh on her. Saying how unfair it is for her to have Rockne to learn pairs with etc. While I agree Rockne with Mary Beth isn't the ideal (i.e finding a pairs partner he could be successful with right away would be ideal). This isn't a buy a Russian/Rockne situation. Mary Beth is very talented at pairs, and thats why Rockne choose her.

julieann
02-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Mary Beth is very talented at pairs, and thats why Rockne choose her.

How did he know how good she was going to be if she had only had modest success as a jr singles skater, and never skated pairs before? I really think he threw the dice and the beginnings of a new partnership has formed.

She is still 16 and only 4'8". They still have a long way to go as a team, no matter who makes mistakes in the partnership.

I hope to see them develop over time but they still have some work to do to keep the place they have, especially with the up and coming teams. I would hate to see Rockne miss another Olympic team.

bek
02-04-2012, 07:13 AM
How did he know how good she was going to be if she had only had modest success as a jr singles skater, and never skated pairs before? I really think he threw the dice and the beginnings of a new partnership has formed.

She is still 16 and only 4'8". They still have a long way to go as a team, no matter who makes mistakes in the partnership.

I hope to see them develop over time but they still have some work to do to keep the place they have, especially with the up and coming teams. I would hate to see Rockne miss another Olympic team.

Mary Beth was the Novice Silver medalist at US Nationals in 2009 and last year she placed fifth at Junior Nationals (while competiting with Rockne in pairs too).

She obviously isn't top/top singles skater success. But for her age group one of the best singles skaters in the country. Certainly better than a lot of other pairs skaters could do.

And apparently a number of pairs coaches for awhile scouted Mary Beth for pairs; and it was an official at US Nationals that suggested they try out.. The fact that she's learned pairs this quickly suggests she's quite talented on it.

As for her being 4-8 that's frankly a good sign because while she may grow still she hopefully won't grow that much because it doesn't look like it would work for Rockne with a taller female partner. And as for why they would regard Mary Beth as talented. Apparently according to an article on her third day of their try out, she landed a throw triple lutz.

lclevers
02-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I think Marley and Brubaker make a very attractive couple on the ice. I like this pair very much and I think they compliment each other very well. He is so handsome and she is so cute. They remind me a little bit of G & G because of the brother and sister relationship they seem to have. Also, you can't help noticing her joyous smile and her passion for figure skating. Though Denney is a great skater she looks like a clown with that horrible makeup plastered on her face and her partner is no prince...sorry.

Marley deserves a lot of credit for landing all her jumps and throws as well as improving her triple twist. She had to have been feeling very nervous and a little bit of pressure especially since they won the short program. But is was Rockne who missed his jumps in the long program..not Marley. This in my opinion proves that she is going to be a tough competitor come next season.

Ageless
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
nice. I've been noticing a lot of people with dual citizenship
switching to skate for their home countries. Philippines has had new
ladies, mens and now pairs from the us !! all they need now is an ice dance team

well good luck

Is Tyler a citizen of the Philippines also? Don't both partners need to be citizens of the country they are representing?

Domshabfan
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Is Tyler a citizen of the Philippines also? Don't both partners need to be citizens of the country they are representing?

They don't have to have the citizenship ready to compete at the ISU events including the worlds, Yuko Kawaguchi competed for Russia long before she got the russian citizenship and became Yuko Kavaguti, and Mervin Tran does not have Japanese citizenship and nor is it likely he will get it, yet he can compete at the worlds; though athlete needs to have not competed for previous country for certain amount of time internationally to compete for their adopted country internationally. For pairs and Ice dancing team switching to another country this time period is 2 years and if only an athlete is switching country it is one year (e.g.: Tatiana Voloszar)

Sylvia
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
See Domshabfan's reply.

Tyler Harris would need to attain PHI citizenship in order to be eligible to compete at the Olympics with Kloe Bautista. The article I posted above mentions that he is "applying to become an honorary citizen of the Philippines" for the purpose of Olympic eligibility.

ETA:

Interesting, since Powers/Powers competed at Philippines Nationals in the Junior level (both are still in high school) this year, and I think they were the only pair team to compete this year. (Perhaps in recent years?).
More likely the first pair team ever!

Philippines might be a bit of a pairs power house in a few years! ;) Would be nice, given 4CC has entries from CAN, CHN, USA, and one lone JPN entry. :>/
Yes, woo-hoo! :)

sammyf
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Philippines might be a bit of a pairs power house in a few years!

There was a Jullia Bautista/Hayden Matheus at US juvenile nationals this year. Is Jullia her sister? She is from the same area, if so that may be another pair.

Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu are another team that could compete, she was mentioned as having citizenship as well, but they've competed quite successfully for the US I'm not sure they'd want to switch.

Any word on if Powers/Powers are going to Junior Worlds?

skatemommy
02-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Jeremy Barrett changed his status on Facebook to single :(.:( John Coughlin just dissed out someone on FB (his dad???) for calling his skating "ballet dancing" and being absent when his mom passed. Ouch...

reese
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes, Evora and Barrett are now broken up.

Sylvia
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
I believe Coughlin's dad was in San Jose to watch John and Caydee compete.