PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

apollo13
12-23-2011, 01:04 AM
? Evora & Ladwig have skated together longer than Castelli & Shnapir, AFAIK?

Marley & Brubaker are still skating together; the couple that broke up that actually had some success was McLaughlin & Brubaker. The rest are all teams that have not been to Worlds; only E&L have gone of the remaining pack of contenders, so the field is pretty much wide open at Nationals. IMO, of course.

C&S and V&B and M&B all appeared on the GP this year, but not with enough success to give them an inside track. D&C (new this year) have not been as wildly successful as they might have hoped either. (4th at SA & 5th at NHK)

I may have mis-interpreted your earlier post. I thought you mean that next to Evora/Ladwig, either Marley/Brubaker or Vise Baldwin have been together the longest. As Sylvia pointed out, Castelli/Shnapir have been together since 2006-2007.

As far as the pairs competition being pretty much wide open - well, in recent years Senior Pairs at Nationals has been very unpredictable, and exciting in many ways:

1) In 2006 St Louis, Orscher/Lucash and Inoue/Baldwin were a shoo-in to make the Olympic team having first and second the year before in Portland. Hinzman/Parchem knocked Orscher/Lucash from the team, in a minor upset.

2) In 2007 Spokane, Inoue/Baldwin and Nam/Leftheris were co-favorites to win. But Castile/Okolski put together two good programs to win. They were in 8th place the year before and their best finish was 7th place before that. Nam/Lefteris were last to skate and could have easily won, but they did not deliver.

3) In 2009 Cleveland, Denney/Barrett in their very first Nationals and after a couple of summer competitions - were in the lead after the short program. They ended in second-place over-all and displaced Inoue/Baldwin from the World team.

4) In 2010 Spokane, two of the following three teams were heavily favored to medal - McLaughlin/Brubaker, Inoue/Baldwin and Denney/Barett. Two of those teams were supposed to be the Olympic team for Vancouver. In fact, M/B were such a lock to win - they have done so many commercials in the months leading to Vancouver - remember the Visa and Coca-Cola ads? Well, Evora/Ladwig crashed the party and knocked out not only M/B but also I/B.

5) Last year, Yankowskas/Couglin won the Pairs competition in a very competitive event. Y/C have never placed higher than 6th in the previous three Nationals they have been to.

So yes, I agree that this Nationals could very well be as unpredictable!

reese
12-23-2011, 01:26 AM
What a drab field this year. I love pairs and was so excited this time last year about Yankowskas/Coughlin and their potential looking toward Sochi.

I always have a soft spot for pairs teams that have been together for a long time, so I'm 150% behind Evora/Ladwig this year and Duarte/Grafton.

Oh if only Donlan/Speroff could land jumps!

Sylvia
12-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Well I for one don't consider the Senior and Junior Pairs fields at Nationals to be "drab" this year. Even though I'm still :blah: about the Senior Pairs FS being split over two days, I'm really looking forward to seeing which teams "seize the moment" and end up going to Junior Worlds, Four Continents, and Worlds, as well as seeing which teams can skate up or close to their potential and personal bests!

apollo13
12-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Denney/Coughlin and Evora/Ladwig both missed out on a GP bronze medal this fall by about 2 points to Canada's Moore-Towers/Moscovitch at Skate America and Cup of China, respectively.

IMO the Canadians were gifted on both occasions.

DimaToe
12-23-2011, 03:31 AM
IMO the Canadians were gifted on both occasions.

Idk if you just meant Mt/M, but D/R definitely took the wuzgifted cake this fall.

apollo13
12-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Idk if you just meant Mt/M, but D/R definitely took the wuzgifted cake this fall.

Three falls/deductions at TEB Free skate and still scored 115.6 points to get a bronze medal. Yes, you can say that was a gift.

julieann
12-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Three falls/deductions at TEB Free skate and still scored 115.6 points to get a bronze medal. Yes, you can say that was a gift.

How so considering E/L had an equally horrifying free skate with even more errors?

apollo13
12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
How so considering E/L had an equally horrifying free skate with even more errors?

Horrifying is too strong a word for one fall. Not really saying that E/L wuzrobbed, because they had -2 GOEs in the SBS 3T, a fall in 2A Seq, and an "illegal pair spin" for which they got zero points. They had positive GOEs on all other elements.

D/R on the other hand had a fall in a << UR SBS combo and another fall in a throw jump, plus another deduction somewhere - 115.6 after three falls is very generous, in my book.

pinky166
12-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh if only Donlan/Speroff could land jumps!

I know! But maybe they can become the new Takahashi/Tran and figure out a way to do well without them? Cause let's be honest, Narumi can not jump for the life of her.

julieann
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Horrifying is too strong a word for one fall. Not really saying that E/L wuzrobbed, because they had -2 GOEs in the SBS 3T, a fall in 2A Seq, and an "illegal pair spin" for which they got zero points. They had positive GOEs on all other elements.

D/R on the other hand had a fall in a << UR SBS combo and another fall in a throw jump, plus another deduction somewhere - 115.6 after three falls is very generous, in my book.

You seem to be just counting jumps and not looking anything else.

Duhamel and Radford’s first mistake was on the 3Lz+2T+2T (worth 7.70) was under rotated and both had two hands down which counted as two falls. They got all level fours on all elements except the level one death spiral. She also fell on the 3LoTh. They had a base value of 60.00 versus Evora and Ladwig’s base value of 49.30. They only had a two point deduction more over E/L since both ladies fell but Evora's was far more egreges point wise.

Evora and Ladwig under rotated the 3T and she not only under rotated the 2A but she fell on it and never finished the combo; it only received 0.80. They never even got credit for the pairs spin. They also got neg GOE on the other spins. So in a sport where you need to rack up points, just doing it is not good enough.

So with D/R being in 2nd after the short why is strange that they are in third after the free? E/L need to stop giving up so many points to begin with.

apollo13
12-23-2011, 12:51 PM
You seem to be just counting jumps and not looking anything else.

Duhamel and Radford’s first mistake was on the 3Lz+2T+2T (worth 7.70) was under rotated and both had two hands down which counted as two falls. They got all level fours on all elements except the level one death spiral. She also fell on the 3LoTh. They had a base value of 60.00 versus Evora and Ladwig’s base value of 49.30. They only had a two point deduction more over E/L since both ladies fell but Evora's was far more egreges point wise.

Evora and Ladwig under rotated the 3T and she not only under rotated the 2A but she fell on it and never finished the combo; it only received 0.80. They never even got credit for the pairs spin. They also got neg GOE on the other spins. So in a sport where you need to rack up points, just doing it is not good enough.

So with D/R being in 2nd after the short why is strange that they are in third after the free? E/L need to stop giving up so many points to begin with.

My points are as follows:
1) E/L did not have a "horrifying" skate like you infer. They got positive GOEs on all other elements unlike what you said.
2) D/R were overscored
3) The standings were correct

olympic
12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Isn't it interesting how 'close' US pairs and Canadian pairs are this season? - D/R and MTM are closely matched with D/C and E/L. The Canadians are slightly ahead but it's still pretty even.

Sylvia
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Isn't it interesting how 'close' US pairs and Canadian pairs are this season? - D/R and MTM are closely matched with D/C and E/L. The Canadians are slightly ahead but it's still pretty even.
I agree... and will be interested to see if and how they all meet/match up at Four Continents.

Summary/highlights of Evora/Ladwig's pre-Nationals media teleconference on January 6, 2012 - link to thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81932

Here's a local Minnesota article about the "unknown" Senior pair team of Peter Biver and Rita Fehr: http://www.startribune.com/local/east/136715318.html

Jenna
01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
He's 35 and she's 15!? WOW. :eek:

Good luck to them, though! I'm interested to watch them for the first time.

olympic
01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I agree... and will be interested to see if and how they all meet/match up at Four Continents.

Add to that the Chinese teams and perhaps T/T from JPN, and 4CCs will be at a level close to Euros