PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

chachacha
12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow! An American team on the podium at the Junior Grand Prix Final. This is encouraging :)

Congrats to Simpson/Blackmer! They make a great Junior Team and should win Nationals! Like I have said in my previous posts, they make a Great Junior Level Pairs Team and glad to see a US Junior Team made the Podium.

sk8mom1970
12-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Congrats to Simpson/Blackmer! They make a great Junior Team and should win Nationals! Like I have said in my previous posts, they make a Great Junior Level Pairs Team and glad to see a US Junior Team made the Podium.

I couldn't agree more. For being together only this year this team has had to exceed all expectations. The really encouraging thing is that their scores are better than some other senior US teams. As they continue to add elements, making their programs tougher, their outstanding compenent marks will be surpassed by the elements as well.

Looking at how other teams have done this year in the JPG events, or even the senior events, this team gives me some hope for US pairs.

sk8mom1970
12-10-2011, 04:52 AM
You are mistaken. I actually am very affectionate towards D/G I love their skating and as others agree, their components I believe are unmatched. I was just correcting you as you seem to think Blackmer is a weak lifter where he clearly is not. The team attempts simpler elements but they do them well which is bringing them success. That being said, I am also an avid supporter of Goldberg/Dolkiewicz because I think they have so much potential. I am not biased towards anyone as none of them have ANY relation to me. I am just a fan of pair skating. That being said, Go Simpson/Blackmer! Can't wait to see them from my computer this week!!

Have you ever looked at the breakdowns and levels? I mean this team have level four death spirals, level three lifts, sbs double axels, and triple throws that they land. What am I missing here? No, they don't do the splat triple sals or a triple twist that they fall on. Give them a year, after all they have only been together this season. Teams who have been together much longer...not sure what else to say.

chachacha
12-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Have you ever looked at the breakdowns and levels? I mean this team have level four death spirals, level three lifts, sbs double axels, and triple throws that they land. What am I missing here? No, they don't do the splat triple sals or a triple twist that they fall on. Give them a year, after all they have only been together this season. Teams who have been together much longer...not sure what else to say.

I think they make an excellent Junior Pairs Team. No, I don't break down the levels, but I did watch there long program after you mentioned they have a level 4 death spiral, but what I notice is that on her death spiral she has to bend her leg so much because there is not much height differance, therefore it looks awkward in my opionion. But they did a wonderful job, there music suits them very well. But long term she is gonna be a tall girl and at 15 she is still growing and will almost eventially be as tall as Blackmer. Unfourtunately for the US we don't have a Junior Pairs Team who will be competitive and have a future at the Senior Level. Don't get me wrong it's just my opinion and its great to have a US team on the Podium at the JGPF, but the Reality of long term with this team in not there. Maybe, one year of Senior. But Congrats to them!

Pulaski73
12-10-2011, 05:34 AM
There score from this competition is already higher than Cain/Reagen, Marley/Brubaker and Poapst/Knierm... Looks like they're going to do fine. Try and be supportive, eh?

hlp728
12-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Simpson/Blackmer on icenetwork bios list Tanith Belbin as a choreographer. If Tanith did choreograph for them, was it the Short or Long program?

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=39961&mode=P

reese
12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Tanith has dropped into Co Springs for like one week, two different times this year. She may have helped with some choreo, but she's not coaching them. I think it's more of a name-dropping thing.

olympic
12-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Wow! An American team on the podium at the Junior Grand Prix Final. This is encouraging :)

The US seems to be able to produce promising Junior teams. There is a chronic problem however of them not delivering on the Senior level

Sylvia
12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Updated after the JGP Final: Here are the season best scores to date of the 12 Junior Pairs that will compete at Nationals. I've bolded the JGP international scores and included Sectional and/or higher club competition scores.

145.35 Britney SIMPSON / Matthew BLACKMER ISU JGP Final (bronze) Dec. 2011
139.32 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU ISU JGP Tallinn Cup (bronze) Oct. 2011
127.71 Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage, Midwestern Sectional Nov. 2011; (132.45 Indy July 2011)
127.54 Kylie DUARTE / Colin GRAFTON ISU JGP Austria Sept. 2011; (123.76 Eastern Sectional Nov. 2011; 136.34 Liberty July 2011)
126.48 Christine Mozer/Daniel O'Shea, Eastern Sectional Nov. 2011
125.50 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER ISU JGP Austria Sept. 2011; (130.77 Indy)
119.12 Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan, Midwestern Sectional Nov. 2011
118.51 Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE ISU JGP Baltic Cup Sept. 2011
118.45 Olivia OLTMANNS / Joshua SANTILLAN ISU JGP Volvo Cup Sept. 2011
113.46 Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss, Pacific Coast Sectional Nov. 2011
111.02 Audrey Goldberg/Joseph Dolkiewicz, Eastern Sectional Nov. 2011; (112.51 Middle Atlantics Sept, 2011)
110.80 Cali Fujimoto/Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne, Eastern Sectional Nov. 2011; (111.63 Indy)
107.84 AnnaMarie Pearce/Craig Norris, Pacific Coast Sectional Nov. 2011; (109.90 Indy)
106.95 Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson, Midwestern Sectional Nov. 2011 (110.16 Indy)

5Ali3
12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Tanith has dropped into Co Springs for like one week, two different times this year. She may have helped with some choreo, but she's not coaching them. I think it's more of a name-dropping thing.

Some skaters list choreographers for exhibition programs among their choreographers, which could easily be finished in less than a week. In addition, Tanith is choreographing at Detroit Skating Club, where Blackmer was training before he moved to Colorado Springs. (I do not know the extent of Belbin's choreography for Simpson/Blackmer, but there certainly exist opportunities/situations in which they could have worked with Belbin.)

chachacha
12-11-2011, 03:40 AM
There score from this competition is already higher than Cain/Reagen, Marley/Brubaker and Poapst/Knierm... Looks like they're going to do fine. Try and be supportive, eh?

Well, I think I am being supportive and said they are a good Junior Team. Now, if you think they can take Cain/Reagen & Marley/Brubaker because of what they scored, no comparison, Simpson/Blackmer would not be able to take either one of those teams. Sorry, to be so Blunt. Soon you will say they can take Denney/Coughlin, oh wait hmm maybe Evora/Ladwig too. But hey, It's good to be positive and reach for the stars! Simpson/Blackmer should enjoy this moment and the rest of the season, they have done well and make a Great Junior Team! I think that is a realistic and factual statement. Now, I'm ready to track the Senior Pairs and move on to another subject. Next year at this time, If Blackmer/Simpson do well in Senior then hey, I will for sure eat my words no problem. But I don't see it and that is my opinion.

Pulaski73
12-11-2011, 05:44 AM
ISU disagrees with you as they knocked those teams out of the top 24 with their scores for the Grand Prix's next season.

haribobo
12-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, I think I am being supportive and said they are a good Junior Team. Now, if you think they can take Cain/Reagen & Marley/Brubaker because of what they scored, no comparison, Simpson/Blackmer would not be able to take either one of those teams.

So are you suggesting that Cup of Russia was a fluke bad performance for C/R, or that JGPF was a fluke good performance for S/B, or what exactly?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2011/gprus2011_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1112/gpf1112_JuniorPairs_FS_Scores.pdf

S/B landed both throws cleanly, also clean sbs 2ax and 2f-2t. Neutral or positive GOE on every single element, 5 of which were level 3 or 4, for a total TES score of 45.72.

C/R, with an additional element (lift) in the program, scored 43.75 for TES at Cup of Russia. Both jumping passes were missed as well as one of the throws. Three of their non-jump elements were judged as level 4 but the others were all level 1.

Both teams are good, but harder content attempted does not = winner every time. I'd say Simpson/Blackmer at this point are a very comparable team to Cain/Reagan, although we won't see them in head to head competition until next season anyway, so I'm not really sure what this pissing match is really all about. If both teams skated perfectly clean, then yes I think C/R would win right now, but that could change if S/B are able to add more jump difficulty.

M/B at SA had problems on 7 elements to score 44.28 TES, so its reasonable to assume that with a cleaner skate which they are likely to do, they'd be able to defeat the others teams at this point.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2011/gpusa2011_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf

outsideedge22
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I Love Duarte and Grafton, I am rooting for them in San Jose to peak and Make the Junior World Team!

I agree 100% with you. If they skate clean then I think they are super. I think it will be this team, Calalang and Sidhu, and Simpson/Blackmer on the podium at nationals, with Aaron/Settledge right there too.

chipso1
12-11-2011, 11:09 PM
For those in the upper Midwest, I've heard that Rita Fehr & Pete Biver will be the guest skaters in the ice show at UW-River Falls next Saturday, 12/17.