PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Pulaski73
12-04-2011, 05:55 AM
I agree. I thought Britney had a killer smile during her Pink Panther Short Programs but it just always seemed so glossy. With Blackmer, I see her pouring out with emotion in their Titanic Free Program.

I also agree with Duarte and Grafton being high competition with such a high amount of difficulty planned, but they just seem to crumble under pressure. Their sectionals free program was a little scary. I hope they can pull it together. I would love a junior world team of Duarte/Grafton, Calalang/Sidhu, and Simpson/Blackmer leading it off.

johndockley92
12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Just didn't see much of a connection. Nathan is stronger though. I hope these two can grow together. Doesn't look like there is much depth at this level.

More depth than there was last year lol. Right now there are about 7 teams vying for 4 spots as opposed to the 2 teams (Cain/Reagan, Knierim/Poapst) battling for the top 2 last year.

winterone
12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I think Haven and Brandon will do well at the National Championships. I also think the Oshea and Mozer will surprize as well.

Jayar
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
More depth than there was last year lol. Right now there are about 7 teams vying for 4 spots as opposed to the 2 teams (Cain/Reagan, Knierim/Poapst) battling for the top 2 last year.

Andrews and LeDuc were in the hunt last year, too-- they were in 2nd after the SP. Knierim and Poapst were only 6th.

johndockley92
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Andrews and LeDuc were in the hunt last year, too-- they were in 2nd after the SP. Knierim and Poapst were only 6th.

I don't think anybody really expected them to hold second though. Chris and Andrea are/were clearly better than them :P

outsideedge22
12-05-2011, 03:05 AM
I think Haven and Brandon will do well at the National Championships. I also think the Oshea and Mozer will surprize as well.

Haven and Brandon can be tough, but seem to self destruct, as I have seen all of the pair teams do this year. I don't think Oshea and Mozer have the elements to compete against clean programs from the top teams. The most consistent have been Simpson and Blackmer. I will be curious to see how they do against the top teams next week. I hope they can finish top 3, but it will be tough.

Duarte and Grafton are one of my favorites, but they seem to self destruct too. I think the dark horse is Aaron and Settlage. They are as good as any other team. They should have went to a second Grand Prix, especially when you look at the other teams that went to two (Oltmans/Santillan?).

I think it will be the four CO Springs teams and all the rest to follow.

winterone
12-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Haven and Brandon can be tough, but seem to self destruct, as I have seen all of the pair teams do this year. I don't think Oshea and Mozer have the elements to compete against clean programs from the top teams. The most consistent have been Simpson and Blackmer. I will be curious to see how they do against the top teams next week. I hope they can finish top 3, but it will be tough.

Duarte and Grafton are one of my favorites, but they seem to self destruct too. I think the dark horse is Aaron and Settlage. They are as good as any other team. They should have went to a second Grand Prix, especially when you look at the other teams that went to two (Oltmans/Santillan?).

Well we know what rink you hang in lol........I don't think Haven and Brandon with self destruct....I'm not sure you know enough about Oshea and mozer to make the statements you make....I do agree that Aaron and Settlage will do ok......I think Duarte and Grafton are chokers....

outsideedge22
12-05-2011, 03:35 AM
Well we know what rink you hang in lol........I don't think Haven and Brandon with self destruct....I'm not sure you know enough about Oshea and mozer to make the statements you make....I do agree that Aaron and Settlage will do ok......I think Duarte and Grafton are chokers....

I am just going on what I have seen of all the teams, including Oshea and Mozer. I certainly wouldn't call someone chokers, but there are teams that seem to step up and others that simply don't. Frankly, I haven't seen Oshea ever do well, so this would be a first. Who knows. While some of the teams have been together for a while, others are new, but all seem to be competitive. Calalang and Sidhu are starting to come on as well. Let's face it, if Duarte and Grafton perform a clean program they blow away Oshea and Mozer at Easterns.

There are two months til nationals so who knows...seems like useless speculation.

johndockley92
12-05-2011, 03:42 AM

Oltmanns/ Santillan placed the highest of all the teams in Latvia, How could they excuse giving Duarte/Grafton & Denney/Frazier a second JGP without giving it to them too? While I agree that Aaron/ Settlage deserved a second one based on the reassignment of any of those three teams, they may have gotten in the way of Calalang/Sidhu's (now moot) quest to make the final.

I think Nationals will be 3 Colorado teams and 1 other team. In any order really, with a Colorado team on top.

winterone
12-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I am just going on what I have seen of all the teams, including Oshea and Mozer. I certainly wouldn't call someone chokers, but there are teams that seem to step up and others that simply don't. Frankly, I haven't seen Oshea ever do well, so this would be a first. Who knows. While some of the teams have been together for a while, others are new, but all seem to be competitive. Calalang and Sidhu are starting to come on as well. Let's face it, if Duarte and Grafton perform a clean program they blow away Oshea and Mozer at Easterns.

There are two months til nationals so who knows...seems like useless speculation.

I think Jessica and Zack would be in the top three for sure but for his injury.....after all they had to drop from JGPF

Pulaski73
12-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I think USFSA would have been smart to pull all three of those teams from Austria after their meltdown in Latvia. Teams like Goldberg/Dolkiewicz, Oshea/Mozer should have been sent out to get some exposure and given a second one to Aaron/Settlage. They did just as poorly in Austria as they did in Latvia with a slight improvement from Duarte/Grafton only to have the self-destruct at Easterns. Poor investments IMO

stjeaskategym
12-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I think USFSA would have been smart to pull all three of those teams from Austria after their meltdown in Latvia. Teams like Goldberg/Dolkiewicz, Oshea/Mozer should have been sent out to get some exposure and given a second one to Aaron/Settlage. They did just as poorly in Austria as they did in Latvia with a slight improvement from Duarte/Grafton only to have the self-destruct at Easterns. Poor investments IMO

USFS's assigning of JGPs is not always wonderful, but I don't really think teams who aren't attempting more than a sbs 2Lz in competition (and don't have a great throw triple or something to sort of "make up for it") needed to be on the JGP any more than the other Jr pairs we sent. I'd rather send teams who are least trying 2As in every competition and are more "Jr ready" in general instead of just sending new age-eligible teams for the sake of exposure. I think USFS should reward the Jr pairs with the best results, not try to get everyone experience. Experience can be gained on the national level.

Jr pairs is often one big self-destruction, so I hate to see the word "choke" being thrown around.

chachacha
12-05-2011, 02:58 PM
USFS's assigning of JGPs is not always wonderful, but I don't really think teams who aren't attempting more than a sbs 2Lz in competition (and don't have a great throw triple or something to sort of "make up for it") needed to be on the JGP any more than the other Jr pairs we sent. I'd rather send teams who are least trying 2As in every competition and are more "Jr ready" in general instead of just sending new age-eligible teams for the sake of exposure. I think USFS should reward the Jr pairs with the best results, not try to get everyone experience. Experience can be gained on the national level.

Jr pairs is often one big self-destruction, so I hate to see the word "choke" being thrown around.

I totally agree with you! Kudos to Duarte/Grafton for having a difficult program, if they played it safe they would have been up there as they have the best skating skills and connection than any of the US Junior Teams and that is because of the length of time they have together. Junior is development and the coach of some of the colorado teams clearly has played it safe with Simpson/Blackmer and loaded the other teams with difficulty as Simpson/Blackmer have great connection, but did not even attempt Side by Side Triple jumps nor do they have strong pair elements, watching the JGP videos it is clear that the Simpson girl has grown, way to tall for that boy long term and Blackmer is clearly a weak lifter, so they are going to do very well in Junior, but Senior they will clearly not be a strong Senior Team, but again Junior is about developing, so They should continue to do well this season as they have Junior level elements. They skate clean and consistent but they have a safe program. So to say that the other teams self destruct or choke is not really a fair statement when there coach is clearly setting up those other teams for failure! Hopefully some of those teams will make some adjustments as they have the potential to do very well at Nationals if the coach does there job and pulls some of the more difficult Side by Side Jumps that they clearly do not need. Aaron/Settlage actually have great connection and were impacted on the level of difficulty they had with there jumps and Throws. However, IMO there there are about 6 teams at any given day can be on top of that podium at Nationals. I'm really excited about the new team Pfund/Reiss, they are a new team, but with some more time, they will be a very strong team and have plenty of time on the JGP Circuit. Some of those Colorado Teams need to make some difficult decisions and get out of Colorado. It is clear that they could be so much better if they were not just a number.

chachacha
12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I think Jessica and Zack would be in the top three for sure but for his injury.....after all they had to drop from JGPF

Jessica and Zack have so much promise! I was really dissapointed they pulled out of the JGPF. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sylvia
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder what would happen if people affiliated in some way with these pair teams stopped posting negativity in this thread? :P Bad karma anyone?