PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

barbk
10-27-2011, 03:19 AM
I remember really being excited by Rockne and Keauna when they first broke into the junior scene. I was not initially excited by Rockne with Marley last year but I have to say I did really enjoy their short at SA this weekend.

I suspect nerves probably were a factor, and I agree with other posters who said that can be conquered. I remember reading somewhere that Moskvina said it takes five years for a partnership to reach it's full potential. Let's give this team a bit more time!

That's about where I am. Compared to Keauna and Caydee, Mary Beth has not made the jump to high level pairs skating as quickly as they did. Compared to Caydee, who showed up at Nationals the first year taking second and finishing 9th at the W.C. that year, or Keauna, who looked more senior competing as a junior, MBM isn't as fast to come up to speed and skate like an elite senior. But, plenty of other skaters have matured (skating-wise) over time, and I hope she's one of them.

hippychick
10-27-2011, 03:22 AM
I think that you forget that when Keauna started skating with Rockne, she had already been skating pairs for several years. Caydee was fortunate that her stong singles skills gave her and Jeremy a tremendous advantage as her pair skills were still developing.

Hoping that Donlan and Speroff surprise some people. I saw their FS exhibition at the BSC the other night and their throws were back to amazing. They have the biggest throws of any of the US teams. Their skate at Evening with Champions was also beautiful, both the lifts and the throw. Heard that they have been jumping very well in practice, both their double axels and triple toes. If this team ould only start landing their jumps in competition and build up their confidence, they would be right up there with the top teams.

reese
10-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Hoping that Donlan and Speroff also surprise some people. I saw their exhhibition the other night and their throws were back to amazing. Their skate at Eveing with Champions was also beautiful. Heard that they have been jumping very well in practice. If this team could only start landing their jumps in competition, they would be right up there with the top teams.

If they could start landing stuff, they'll be National champions.

hippychick
10-27-2011, 03:44 AM
I agree. If Donlan and Speroff could gain that confidence with their jumps, the rest of their skating is exquisite. I think that sometimes people forget that Donlan is relatively new to pairs. IIRC their first season together they didn't get in much training time due to an injury (I believe Donlan's). Trying to learn all of the pair skills this past two seasons and come together as a team may have taken their toll on progressing with her jumps. While Speroff can jump, I don't think he ever really had an opportunity to put in harder jumps in competition before this past year. I am sure that no matter how good a jumper you are in practice, it takes time to land jumps consistently in competition, especially when you add the element of landing them sbs with another skater. Often times if one member of a pair team is struggling on jumps the other may also because it will throw their timing off as well. I would not give up on this team quite yet. What they do have you can't take away and is something that you cant teach and that is that they both have a tremendous amount of on ice charisma.

It seems like everyone on this thread continues to preach how teams should stay together, but is immediately trying to break teams up and reteam skaters with someone else - i.e. Marley and Brubaker as an example. There are so many factors that go into every pair relationship, and what an outsider may think would be a perfect match may not work at all. Example: Yankowskas and Brubaker. Brubaker is too short or Yankowskas is too tall however you want to look at it to skate together. Mark my words the elements that Brubaker made look so amazing with McLaughlin or Marley would not be the same with someone Yankowskas's size. She needs someone at a minumum of 5'10 or taller. With someone the right height Caitlin will shine. Also body types can play an important role, putting a long limbed skater with someone with a muscular stocky build would not be as eye pleasing. Marley and Brubaker have very similar body types and is one reason they look so good together. Hoping that Yankowskas will find just the right partner, but I don't think Brubaker is it. I am hoping that Brubaker can remain patient and think of the long term success he could have with Marley. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, there must be a tremendous amount of pressure on her to skate up to Rockne's level, forgetting that Rockne has been skating pairs for a decade. I think that everyone is so anxious for this team to have success, that if it doesn't happen immediately the pressure will get to be too much.

BittyBug
10-27-2011, 03:50 AM
I was hoping for Yankowskas and Leftheris.

Jayar
10-27-2011, 03:51 AM
This thread makes me laugh and also makes me sad.

hippychick
10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
I would love to see Yankowskas skate with Leftheris, I would also love to see Keauna make a come back. I think she has soo much unfulfilled potential. Another example of too much too soon.

AJ Skatefan
10-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Also, she had tendonitis recently. That could easily throw off one's jumping consistency. No need for alarm at this point, I'd say.

ITA. The woman sitting next to me at Skate America knows them and said that Mary Beth has been struggling with a foot injury. Now she'll have some time for it to heal.

Sylvia
10-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Marley/Brubaker and Cain/Reagan (their senior international debut) are competing at Cup of Nice in France this week. Here's the link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry (Pairs SP is on Friday): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80186

AJ Skatefan
10-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Oh yeah, she did say that they were going to France but I didn't know why.

acraven
10-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I think that you forget that when Keauna started skating with Rockne, she had already been skating pairs for several years.

I think Keauna was about 10 years old when I first saw her at Nationals--probably in the novice event. Her presentation skills were way above average for her age. I suspect that was because her mother had a skating background herself and had put Keauna in dance classes at an early age, but that is just a guess.

In any case, it's definitely not fair to compare Marley's pair skills after 14-15 months to what Keauna showed with Rockne.

winterone
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I think it's interesting that Keauna may have had a tryout. Does anyone know if she has been working on her singles skills as of late?

AJ Skatefan
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I think it's interesting that Keauna may have had a tryout. Does anyone know if she has been working on her singles skills as of late?

Didn't Keauna give up her eligible status when she was on Skating With the Stars?

julieann
10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Isn't Leftheris a little out of the competitive loop and rather old to be with either Caitlin or Keauna? Besides Keauna gave up the best partner she would have had. If she only wanted a year off from skating I think she would have said so and not quit completely.

aftershocks
10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I just like zamboni fumes. :D

:lol: Guess that makes you a zamboni driver or someone who enjoys hanging out at skating rinks and arenas. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.