PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

stjeaskategym
05-13-2011, 02:51 AM
It is very sad that there are only seven pairs left from last Nationals, who have not retired or broken up - so far...

But it is highly likely that there will be ten or less Senior Pairs competing at San Jose. Back in 2004 there were about 22 pairs at the Atlanta Nationals.

This is very similar to last year-- Only 7 pairs from 2010 Nationals ended up competing at this year's Nationals. It's somewhat sad, but at least things don't seem to be getting much worse in terms of numbers. But yeah, there were 20 pairs at '04 Nationals and there have been at least 15 pairs in all the years afterward (including 19 pairs at '09 Nationals)... until this season. I doubt there will be 15 next January either. You never know though.

sk8mom1970
05-13-2011, 03:38 AM
This is good news. O'Shea has had quite a few different partners since becoming a pairs skater. I hope this new partnership will succeed--and it easy to imagine that it could since Peterson will be coaching them. Despite all of the splits that have taken place in the junior ranks (in addition to the many pairs who have "aged out"), it may well be that with the formation of some new teams such as this one the U.S. pairs on the JGP might after all end up being just as the competitive as they were this last season. I realize that that may not be saying much, but it would show that U.S. pairs are not in such dire straits as some have suggested.

I agree that this is very good for US pairs. My only hope is that his father will stay out of the kid's training. Having spoken to coaches and parents of partners there is a common thread as to why he has had so many partners in the last few years.

sk8mom1970
05-13-2011, 03:43 AM
[QUOTE=apollo13;3181016]It is very sad that there are only seven pairs left from last Nationals, who have not retired or broken up - so far.
1. Evora/Ladwig
2. Marley/Brubaker
3. Castelli/Shnapir
4. Vise/Baldwin
5. Donlan/Speroff
6. Davis/Lefteris
7. Katz/Lynch

I think Tim LeDuc and Cassie Andrews will go senior, as they aged out.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of decent junior teams though.

Madre
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Don't forget Alexa Scimeica/Ivan Dimitrov, and Joci Scierra/Wes Campbell - also all those other folks looking for partners - Taylor Toth, Erika Choi Smith, Felicia Zhang, etc.

Sylvia
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Sylvia, do you know if she plans to continue with singles too?
I believe Mozer has also registered to compete in the Senior Ladies SP event at Liberty.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of decent junior teams though.
But didn't you say on another thread recently that "I don't think there has been this many decent Junior teams at one time in several years."
;)

ETA:

It was mentioned in the Mark & Amanda thread that they were going to make a final decision on continuing in a couple of weeks.
I'm reposting the link to the May 9th E/L Florida article: http://www.bradenton.com/2011/05/09/3177812/will-ladwig-evora-survive-pairs.html

Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff are guest starring in the Haydenettes' club show in Lexington, Mass. this weekend -- more info at: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3181402&postcount=46

Kaikai
05-13-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree that this is very good for US pairs. My only hope is that his father will stay out of the kid's training. Having spoken to coaches and parents of partners there is a common thread as to why he has had so many partners in the last few years.

The dad is a little CRAZY! It is so funny he ended up with Christine Mozer because I sat behind Danny and his dad at sectionals this past year and when Christine finished skating his dad mentioned to him this would be a good partnership so Dad started setting this up in Nov!!

2sk8
05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
The dad is a little CRAZY! It is so funny he ended up with Christine Mozer because I sat behind Danny and his dad at sectionals this past year and when Christine finished skating his dad mentioned to him this would be a good partnership so Dad started setting this up in Nov!!

Wow! Can't comment on the Dad one way or another, but I don't really think this is an example of a "CRAZY skating dad"! Good for him if they were looking for a good match for Danny & good for all of them if they found one.

Sometimes, reading this board, you would think all skating parents are nuts - and after years in skating, I can only think of a couple who really fit that mold. It's usually more like, "let's just blame the parents" alternated with "let's just blame the coaches", and neither is really true.

I think Christine & Danny have a lot of potential, and I hope they have a great season & lots of support from their coaches & parents!

jaci
05-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow! Can't comment on the Dad one way or another, but I don't really think this is an example of a "CRAZY skating dad"! Good for him if they were looking for a good match for Danny & good for all of them if they found one.

Sometimes, reading this board, you would think all skating parents are nuts - and after years in skating, I can only think of a couple who really fit that mold. It's usually more like, "let's just blame the parents" alternated with "let's just blame the coaches", and neither is really true.

I think Christine & Danny have a lot of potential, and I hope they have a great season & lots of support from their coaches & parents!

Totally agree, it's nice to see that two strong single skaters will pair up. US Pairs need some more young Junior Teams and thank god we finally got a NEW Team that will not only beable to develop and perhaps be very competitive at the Junior Level.:D

sk8mom1970
05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Sylvia

But didn't you say on another thread recently that "I don't think there has been this many decent Junior teams at one time in several years."
;)

My bad Sylvia. I meant "does", not doesn't. I am actually really excited about Junior pairs. Lots of new teams and some really good established teams as well. I know of only three Junior teams that competed at Nationals last year that moved up. The rest are either coming back at Junior or a new team.
Thanks for the question!

sk8ers
05-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I am with "jaci" and "2sk8"-- I like that we are seeing new skaters vs. just pair swapping. And while this is just a personal pet peeve of mine, I really hope that the newer teams are comparable and aesthetically pleasing to the eye--I struggle watching the young 11-12 yr old girl with the 18-20 yr old guy. I'm sure I am in the minority but it kind of creeps me out!!!

~tapdancer~
05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I would love to see Evora/Ladwig, Marley/Brubaker, and Castelli/Shapnir be the top three pairs and would love to see them all skate strong this coming season. I'm just not on board with anymore new pairs forming from the remnants yet, I want to see those three pairs rewarded, if they step up and take charge.

Sylvia
05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I love Donlan/Speroff! I hope they get more difficult content, but I've resolved not to get my hopes up. I'll just enjoy them for what they are. :)
Enjoy this video of them performing at the "Ice Chips" show in April (she really has exquisite positions! :swoon:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkSrH3cH20

ETA: Here's a bit of news about Molly Aaron in the article I posted about her brother Max in the US Men's thread:

Older sister Molly has retired from competitive skating, and has moved back to Arizona where she will be a freshman at Arizona State University.

shan
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Enjoy this video of them performing at the "Ice Chips" show in April (she really has exquisite positions! :swoon:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkSrH3cH20

:cheer2: Thanks Sylvia.

olympic
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
boy, do those two have beautiful extensions and lyrical qualities. What must they do to break into the top ranks?

Sylvia
05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
boy, do those two have beautiful extensions and lyrical qualities. What must they do to break into the top ranks?
Did you miss the discussion here on this topic last summer and fall? ;)

Landing side-by-side jumps cleanly is their main "weakness" but I did see improvement at Nationals practices in their 2A and they were rotating the 3T more often than not.