PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

reese
10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I believe Meno and Sand were listed along with John Nicks as Marley/Brubaker's coaches by the end of last season so this may not be a very new development. All of them are based primarily at the Aliso Viejo, CA rink, IIRC.

Yeah, that's what's kinda weird about it because Nicks is now listed as "former coach" on the ISU bio.

barbk
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Article on Denney & Coughlin

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/18/3987576/despite-height-difference-denney.html

Pulaski73
10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
That article seems a tad harsh... I thought Caitlin and John had a couple of rough years but they really seemed to get it together that last season. DElilah really kicked things into gear this past season. I'm excited to see that she has a couple of top dog teams in D/C, S/B, D/F, and D/G. I really think D/C can medal this weekend and S/B and C/S could challenge for a medal at the JGP final.

outsideedge22
10-22-2011, 04:10 PM
That article seems a tad harsh... I thought Caitlin and John had a couple of rough years but they really seemed to get it together that last season. DElilah really kicked things into gear this past season. I'm excited to see that she has a couple of top dog teams in D/C, S/B, D/F, and D/G. I really think D/C can medal this weekend and S/B and C/S could challenge for a medal at the JGP final.

I agree. I am excited about D/C. I just hope that they can respond to the pressure. It seems that while Dalilah has some good teams, they don't seem to skate well under pressure. I like them all, but feel that this could be an issue. Not sure though if any other team can compete with them at Junior. Senior will be interesting, as you have some established teams who have competed together for a while. I guess only time will tell.

outsideedge22
10-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Was wondering if they had published entries for pair entries for sectionals (novice thru senior). Thanks!

legjumper
10-25-2011, 01:24 AM
I attended the Skate America pairs short on Saturday, and my impression of Denney/Coughlin was that they should have little trouble winning Nationals if they can both stand up. There is a lot of trust between them on the elements, the triple twist is world class, and they can both jump. Equally as important, they have a pair quality between them. I also think that physically and stylistically, they're better suited to each other than to their previous partners.

However, for me Marley/Brubaker are the ones to watch. Mary Beth's inexperience and girlish look are a liabilities for them at this point (in contrast to D/C, where you can really feel the collective experience of the two), but M/B have more overall potential: stronger skating skills, better posture, better lift positions, better pair spins, more sophisticated choreography. For a tiny girl, Mary Beth looks huge in the lifts due to her extension. Whereas D/C have the potential to be very good, M/B could be great. I just hope that M/B will tough it out and not give up too quickly.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing both teams develop. A rivalry between the two could be a very good thing for US pair skating.

olympic
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
^Let's not forget E/L. But that of course depends on how long they stick around

julieann
10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
I attended the Skate America pairs short on Saturday, and my impression of Denney/Coughlin was that they should have little trouble winning Nationals if they can both stand up. There is a lot of trust between them on the elements, the triple twist is world class, and they can both jump. Equally as important, they have a pair quality between them. I also think that physically and stylistically, they're better suited to each other than to their previous partners.

I should hope so, both are national champions who at one time beat each other. One is an Olympian who got as high as 7th at worlds with her former parter and he got 6th with his former partner. Much like V/T, they are not starting from scratch. They still have much to work on especially those horrible lift positions, but they should do well this season.

M/B are so young yet, she still has time.

~tapdancer~
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Mary Beth is on her way to being an awesome pair skater. Fortunately she also has a perfect partner!

legjumper
10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
^Let's not forget E/L. But that of course depends on how long they stick around

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting E/L being in the mix at Nationals and possibly beyond. They just weren't at Skate America, which is why I didn't discuss them.

I would love it if there were a genuine three-way battle at Nationals, with all the teams skating their best. :respec:

olympic
10-25-2011, 10:26 PM
There may be a discussion in the Pairs LP thread of SA that I missed. But, has there been any conjecture as to why MBM fell x3 - ie: She's not injured again or something, is she? :(

M/B's PCS were highly regarded by the intl. judges. Their marks were just shy of the top pairs there (who happen to be tops in the World)

julieann
10-25-2011, 10:57 PM
There may be a discussion in the Pairs LP thread of SA that I missed. But, has there been any conjecture as to why MBM fell x3 - ie: She's not injured again or something, is she? :(

M/B's PCS were highly regarded by the intl. judges. Their marks were just shy of the top pairs there (who happen to be tops in the World)

My guess it was just nerves which you can't blame on her being new to pairs because she fell on two single skater elements and only one throw. I just think she was nervous, it was a big competition for her.

They skated the rest well but didn't have all that great of PCS marks, mid 6s in the short and 5-6 in the long (second to the last) it will take them quite a while before they start seeing 7-8 from the judges.

blue_idealist
10-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Marley and Brubaker look better than Denney and Coughlin in general, except Marley really needs to start landing the jumps/throws more often. Denney and Coughlin are good, but bland. I think either Denney or Coughlin will win Nationals or Evora and Ladwig will, but I'm rooting for Evora and Ladwig since I still don't like the way D and C came together, and Evora and Ladwig usually have more interesting programs. I love their lifts too. The US only has two spots to next year's Worlds, right? That's a shame because I wish Marley and Brubaker could make it but they'll probably end up 3rd or 4th (behind Vise and Baldwin?) at Nationals.

reese
10-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Marley and Brubaker look better than Denney and Coughlin in general, except Marley really needs to start landing the jumps/throws more often. Denney and Coughlin are good, but bland. I think either Denney or Coughlin will win Nationals or Evora and Ladwig will, but I'm rooting for Evora and Ladwig since I still don't like the way D and C came together, and Evora and Ladwig usually have more interesting programs. I love their lifts too. The US only has two spots to next year's Worlds, right? That's a shame because I wish Marley and Brubaker could make it but they'll probably end up 3rd or 4th (behind Vise and Baldwin?) at Nationals.

Vise/Baldwin don't have the same kind of political support from USFS as Marley/Brubaker. I don't see Vise/Baldwin finishing ahead of Marley/Brubaker unless Mary Beth has another meltdown at Nationals like the one in the LP at SKAM.

I still wonder why they switched the Meno and Sand. I LOVE Meno and Sand and by extension I root for all of their teams, but I wonder if M/B are still working with Nicks at all? Is that totally over?

~tapdancer~
10-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Vise/Baldwin don't have the same kind of political support from USFS as Marley/Brubaker. I don't see Vise/Baldwin finishing ahead of Marley/Brubaker unless Mary Beth has another meltdown at Nationals like the one in the LP at SKAM.

I still wonder why they switched the Meno and Sand. I LOVE Meno and Sand and by extension I root for all of their teams, but I wonder if M/B are still working with Nicks at all? Is that totally over?

Scott Hamilton mentioned that their coaches are M&S and John Nicks. Mr. Nicks is 82 years old...I'm sure as spry as he is, he can't do all the coaching all the time much less the extensive travel. I believe M&S and Mr. Nicks are both based at the same training facility but I'm not 100% sure.