PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Sylvia
10-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I am sure that this season has been discouraging for them, wish there was a way that their fans could reach out to them and let them know how much their skating is appreciated and encourage them not to give up.
Do Donlan/Speroff have a fan page on Facebook or somewhere online where fans can post their support of and admiration for their skating?

SaSherka has uploaded videos of Donlan/Speroff's and Castelli/Shnapir's exhibitions at Harvard's EWC - here's the post in GSD with the links: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3323587&postcount=112

Calalang and Sidhu have a shot for a bye to Nationals as well-- 3rd place will get them into the Final. It's a tough call, but I never count chickens in junior pairs.
And 3rd in Estonia it was! :) Congrats to Simpson/Blackmer (silver) and Calalang/Sidhu (bronze) on qualifying for the JGP Final! (thereby receiving a bye to 2012 Nationals)

Jayar
10-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I hope that Andrew and Gretchen are not getting discouraged by the lack of assignments. I'm starting to wonder if USFSA would rather see Andrew skating with someone else.

Why would they get a senior B? They were 8th at Nationals last season, and there were only six senior B's given out. Four of the assignments went to those ranked ahead of them from Nationals-- the other two were given to the junior champs and silver medalists who are aged out of juniors. They had a dismal summer season-- they weren't ready for a senior B.

shan
10-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I agree with Jayar, I wasn't surprised that they didn't get an international assignment. Last summer they did very well at competitions and got the Senior B. Hopefully, they will stay healthy and continue to improve. I guess their next competition will be at Sectionals. Are there enough pairs for a competition from their section?

haribobo
10-17-2011, 12:41 AM
In 2010, Vise/Baldwin were 8th (in the fall of 2010 they got the Ice Challenge). In 2009, it was Vise/Trent (split afterwards). In 2008 it was Katz/Lynch (got Coupe de Nice in Fall of 08). In 2007 it was Sy/Davis (split afterwards), and in 2006 it was Castile/Okolski (got Nebelhorn in Fall of 06 and won it).

So in the last 5 years, all the 8th place finishers either split or got a Senior B assignment. The 3 that did get an assignment, medaled at that assignment. So its not foolish to hope that D/S would get one (especially considering that every team ahead of them at 2011 Nationals who is still together got a GP assignment). But I do also think that their summer results and lack of technical progress, at least as of August, was disappointing. And considering how many of our pairs only got 1 GP event, its understandable that many of them would also want a senior B. And I'm glad that Poapst/Knierim got something after their great result on the junior level at Nats (they are junior ineligible so it had to be a senior B if anything).

I hope D/S can somehow improve those jumps and capitalize on their great promise. With their skating quality, they belong not just *at* international events, but on podiums. Alas, jumps are needed. But they know that, I'm sure they've heard it more than enough times...

reese
10-17-2011, 12:42 AM
If Gretchen and Andrew split, I will give up on US pairs. I swear!

hippychick
10-17-2011, 12:49 AM
From what I remember from the protocols at Indy, several of the teams ahead of Donlan and Speroff did double jumps in both the SP and the F/S. Perhaps if they had played it safe they may have placed higher. IIRC the scores were were very close in the FS and they would have placed two or three places higher in the FS if Speroff had not received a deduction for his pants. Hate to think they lost a Senior B for trying harder jumps early in the season and for a costume deduction. I believe by Nationals last year they had added a second throw triple and landed their DA and sbs Triple toe jumps (although not perfectly). I think if they were given the PCS scores they deserved at Nationals and at Indy their placement would have been much different, of course that is just my opnion.

It seems as if they received the message that they needed to up their technical difficulty, but by trying to put out a more technically difficult program they may have been panlized for it by placing behind other teams who did not try triples at Indy.

Jayar
10-17-2011, 01:09 AM
In 2010, Vise/Baldwin were 8th (in the fall of 2010 they got the Ice Challenge). In 2009, it was Vise/Trent (split afterwards). In 2008 it was Katz/Lynch (got Coupe de Nice in Fall of 08). In 2007 it was Sy/Davis (split afterwards), and in 2006 it was Castile/Okolski (got Nebelhorn in Fall of 06 and won it).

So in the last 5 years, all the 8th place finishers either split or got a Senior B assignment. The 3 that did get an assignment, medaled at that assignment. So its not foolish to hope that D/S would get one (especially considering that every team ahead of them at 2011 Nationals who is still together got a GP assignment). But I do also think that their summer results and lack of technical progress, at least as of August, was disappointing. And considering how many of our pairs only got 1 GP event, its understandable that many of them would also want a senior B. And I'm glad that Poapst/Knierim got something after their great result on the junior level at Nats (they are junior ineligible so it had to be a senior B if anything).

I hope D/S can somehow improve those jumps and capitalize on their great promise. With their skating quality, they belong not just *at* international events, but on podiums. Alas, jumps are needed. But they know that, I'm sure they've heard it more than enough times...

I'm glad that you acknowledged that the face of international assignments has changed this season. I don't think it was a slight to them at all-- had they performed well in the summer, I think that US Figure Skating might have found a place for them. But senior B's are (for the US) about investing in getting skaters ready for the rest of the season (and their careers). Giving someone an assignment when the haven't proven readiness is a bad idea. I say that they use this time to improve the things that they need to fix, and finish even higher this year at Nationals. There will likely be about 10 teams this season, so they if they move up three or four spots, they can count on assignments.

OrioleBeagle
10-17-2011, 01:12 AM
If Gretchen and Andrew split, I will give up on US pairs. I swear!

I would be in mourning!

OrioleBeagle
10-17-2011, 01:17 AM
I would love to see Andrew and Gretchen work with Jason Dungjen! They have everything but the side by side jumps. Jason is a good technical coach.

Sylvia
10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Are there enough pairs for a competition from their section?
Yes, Easterns will be the only Sectional holding a Senior Pairs competition in November. The 4 teams are Donlan/Speroff, Zhang/Bartholomay, Bautista/Harris, and Scimeca/Dimitrov.

skatemommy
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
^ pardon my lack of knowledge, but would all 4 teams advance regardless of the outcome?

Sylvia
10-17-2011, 12:53 PM
^ pardon my lack of knowledge, but would all 4 teams advance regardless of the outcome?
Yes. All 4 teams elected to compete at Easterns.

sk9tingfan
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Per Sarah and Drew on Twitter Marley and Brubaker are now being coached by Meno and Sand according to their ISU bio.

reese
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Per Sarah and Drew on Twitter Marley and Brubaker are now being coached by Meno and Sand according to their ISU bio.

Interesting. Wonder what's up with that?

Sylvia
10-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I believe Meno and Sand were listed along with John Nicks as Marley/Brubaker's coaches by the end of last season so this may not be a very new development. All of them are based primarily at the Aliso Viejo, CA rink, IIRC.

ETA: Nicks is still listed first in M/B's IceNetwork bio (not yet fully updated for the new season?): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=39850&mode=P

M/B's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013181.htm
SP: Singing in the Rain Medley
FS: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor by Sergei Rachmaninov
Choreographer: Christine Binder