PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Freezing Constantly

DickButtonFan
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I've only had my laptop for about 5 months, I bought it online from apple. In last few weeks it has been freezing constantly and the vents keep kicking in. I don't do too much on it, just watch some youtube videos and browse. I don't do any gaming or video editing where I would be using a lot of memory.

Has anyone else had a lot of problems with macs this early on? This is my first mac laptop, I never had this kind of problem with my hp.

HisWeirness
05-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I did some looking around and found this (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2768351?start=1260&tstart=0) Apple support thread. You can try running Software Update and updating to the latest releases, it could be a firmware issue possibly. If you have an Apple Store in or an official Apple support place in your area I'd try going there for help.

This post was written on a PowerBook G4 purchased in Fall 2005 that is still holding on. :)

Aceon6
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
If the fans keep kicking in, it's because it's getting too hot. If you're using it on a bed or sofa, that might be the problem and it will go away if you put it on a hard surface.

As it's still under warranty, give the Genius Bar a try if you are near to one. Otherwise, call Apple Support. Their support is pretty good.

barbk
05-11-2011, 07:56 PM
You're still well within the warranty. I'd call and register the issue, and then they'll probably advise you to update the software (as has been suggested) -- but the advantage is that if you call, it will be logged as an "event" against your laptop, and if the problem recurs then it will be a second "event" -- I think that the third "event" is the point where they ended up swapping out (under warranty) the motherboard and memory on my mac Mini a couple of years ago. It turned out to be valuable that there was documentation on the problems.

Please -- if you haven't done so, make sure you have some good file backup in place. If they do end up replacing your laptop, or disk, you might end up without the data currently on your machine.

DickButtonFan
05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone I'll try the software update and call apple.

Rob
05-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Take it in now! I have the same issue with my older Mac - no matter what upgrades I downloaded, it just froze constantly and would crash and need to reboot. With the fan running. Unfortunately, I bought it for my husband who was dying to have one but then he didn't even take it out of the box until the warranty had expired. Since he didn't use it, I took it and soon it started freezing. I don't do anything complicated on it. I wrote down the very long messages when it crashed and I took it to Mac and paid money to have it looked at. Cost me $100 and they upgraded some things, but it didn't change. I had a computer wiz friend look at it. He told me to move my photos off it, but he couldn't find anything else. They all claimed it was fine the whole time it was there. Just a lemon - it happens sometimes.

minx
05-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm wondering which version of the OS you're using. As much as it's fast, 10.6 (snow leopard) is buggy, especially in and around iPhoto.

Take it in for sure, and let the pros clean it up for you.

DickButtonFan
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm wondering which version of the OS you're using. As much as it's fast, 10.6 (snow leopard) is buggy, especially in and around iPhoto.

Take it in for sure, and let the pros clean it up for you.

I'm on 10.6.7.

minx
05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
That's the latest. Take it in, but they might not have an answer. There is lots of similar experiences on the Mac user groups and in the Apple discussion boards.

My tip, never buy an Apple laptop without the extended warranty. I love them but it's much easier to let someone else fix it.