PDA

View Full Version : Tourist Tips for DC!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

flyingsit
06-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Jaleo is one of my favorite places!

I can't do a weekday lunch, but am available most other times.

Lara
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Aside from the memorials, I really enjoyed just walking around the DuPont Circle (with a stop at Kramerbooks) and Georgetown neighborhoods. The later's a little more annoying to get to as there's no subway but they do shuttle buses from DuPont.

On a beautiful day like this I wish I could transport myself there lol.

Marge_Simpson
06-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Do they not have alarm clocks in NYC? :shuffle:

Of course we have alarm clocks. Alas, we do not have alarm clocks that are wired up to your bed and will tip you out when the alarm goes off. :lol:

I am a total night owl, also, once I am asleep, a marching band could stroll through my bedroom without waking me.

I am in Dc, whee!
And it as hot as hell.
I ate at Circa yesterday but did not see MK.
NBC tonight, I am psyched.

flyingsit
06-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Marge, this weather is nothing compared to the past few days. It's been in the mid-upper 90s all week until now, so consider yourself lucky. :)

mon125
06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
If you still have some time, I highly recommend to you or actually anybody to visit the special exhibition: State of Deception, the power of Nazi propaganda at the Holocaust museum. I took the guided tour which lasted aprox 45 min and then stayed another 1 hs. I has excellent material and films made by the Nazi showing life at the ghetto (it is shown in a small monitor).

acraven
06-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Two Washington, D.C. restaurants I enjoyed when I was there for Worlds in 2003:

Jaleo's. Spanish restaurant that serves wonderful tapas.
Teaism. Asian-influenced tea shop that serves meals in binto boxes.

I was thinking about Teaism yesterday. I love stopping there on hot days. It has quite a lot of indoor seating (some in the basement), and the ginger limeade is very refreshing. I also enjoy the chicken salad (contains apples, so not for those who dislike sweet salads) and coconut rice pudding. Teaism is on 8th St just north of Pennsylvania Avenue.

If you still have some time, I highly recommend to you or actually anybody to visit the special exhibition: State of Deception, the power of Nazi propaganda at the Holocaust museum...

Thanks so much for mentioning this. I haven't been to the Holocuast Museum in ages, and this is an exhibit I'd especially like to see.

Marge: I've got some info on two chocolate shops: Artisan Confections near the Clarendon Metro and Biagio's a bit farther from the Dupont Circle Metro. If you need the info before we meet up, call and I'll give it to you over the 'phone.

PRlady
06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
If you still have some time, I highly recommend to you or actually anybody to visit the special exhibition: State of Deception, the power of Nazi propaganda at the Holocaust museum. I took the guided tour which lasted aprox 45 min and then stayed another 1 hs. I has excellent material and films made by the Nazi showing life at the ghetto (it is shown in a small monitor).

Hee. I love when this happens. That was the last exhibition my ex-husband curated there. ;) And actually it is really good.

I just saw this thread and could do a meetup Sunday, I think...has any time been set? And flyingsit is totally correct about the weather, today is beeyotiful compared to what the last few days were like!

And there's another Teasim near Dupont Circle, on R Street just west of Connecticut.

acraven
06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
This is a summary of who is probably available for meals, based on posts in this thread:

Fri lunch: aliceanne, acraven, Marge
Fri dinner: flyingsit, acraven; Marge to KenCen by 7:30 PM

Sat lunch/brunch: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge to KenCen by 2 PM
Sat dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge

Sun lunch/brunch: aliceanne, flyingsit, Debbie S, PRLady, acraven, Marge to KenCen by 1:30 PM
Sun dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, PRLady, acraven, Marge

Mon lunch: acraven (2:45 appt.), Marge
Mon dinner: flyingsit, acraven, Marge

Tue lunch: acraven, Marge
Tue dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge

Based on info available to me, the single best option (everyone seemingly available!) is early brunch on Sunday. Does anyone know of a good brunch spot that would be convenient for Marge, given that she needs to be at the theatre by 1:30? I don't frequent DC brunch spots.

Sunday night is the next best option, then a Saturday meal or Tuesday night.

Marge would like to fit in afternoon tea. Teatimes are as early as 2-4:30 PM and as late as 4-6 PM. This can only happen on Fri, Mon, or Tue since Marge has afternoon plans on both Sat and Sun. Is there anyone (besides me) available on one of those weekday afternoons?

Also for Marge: Artisan confections, chocolatier near Clarendon Metro, will be discounting everything 20% on Saturday. The stuff will still be expensive, but think how much you could save if you bought lots! :slinkaway

aliceanne
06-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I didn't realize Sunday night was an option, I could do that.

If we want to do brunch we would need to stick to Foggy Bottom area in order to get Marge to the KC in time. The Watergate Hotel is near KC, but it may be pricey.

IMHO the Dupont Circle/Connecticut Ave. area offers the best selection of restaurants.

PRlady
06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm now otherwise committed for both brunch and dinner. :( (I'm only in town every other weekend and things stack up.)

But I also can do Saturday brunch/lunch or Monday dinner, after 6.

acraven
06-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the updates, aliceanne and PRLady. I hope to talk to Marge tonight.

Marge_Simpson
06-03-2011, 04:02 AM
I will try to check back tomorrow and see what everyone comes up with

I had a fabulous day today. It was not as hot as yesterday and there was a breeze, so it was comfortable strolling around.
I'm staying at the Hotel Rouge near Dupont Circle, so I stayed in the area mostly. Started at the Textile Museum, which is fab, and kept myself from buying anything in the gift shop, they had a pile of silks from India which were gorgeous but pricey.
I went to the Phillips next and wtf? The staff there was cheerful and enjoyed telling visitors about the paintings. Amazing. In NYC, you could ask a staff member at the Met, where, say, Madame X is, and they will not have a clue what you are talking about. (Irrelevent note: I love Madame X but she's out on loan half the time)
I went to Beadazzled and managed not to buy anything, but it was a close call. Alas, they are having a trunk show on Saturday with African beads, so I HAVE to go back then. Ha!
I ate lunch at Circa but did not see MK, although I had a very nice pizza. When I left I spotted Hello Cupcake across the street, but before I could get there I was intercepted by an insane woman named Sophie who wanted me to donate $20 to Greenpeace. This was my own fault, I should have pretended not to speak English. I am usually a wimp when I'm hit up like this, but Sophie was standing between me and my cupcake. I told her I was on vacation and my money was earmarked for better things than saving the rainforest.
I don't remember the name of my cupcake, but it was devil's food w/ peanut butter frosting and a chocolate kiss on top. It was divine, and pb is good for you, it has vitamins and fiber.
I took the Metro to the Mall intending to stroll around a bit, but there was some kind of event going on there, with loud annoying music. And lots of joggers. The last time I was here was last January, during the snowstorm. And there were joggers all over the mall, IN THE SNOW. Obviously jogging is a big thing here, but you will never get me to jog. Joggers look like they are being tortured, IMO. They do not look like they are having fun.
I did not expect to see any joggers today, because it was about 85 degrees. What loon would jog in that kind of heat? A DC jogger, that's who.
I escaped into the National Gallery to escape the music and the sight of all these healthy people jogging. Then proceded to spend all my time in the gift shop ogling the jewelry, instead of the art.
And debating whether I needed a gelato.:lol:
Decided I did not, but I will tomorrow. I need to keep up my calcium intake. On my way back to the hotel to change for dinner and the ballet, I saw Sophie again. I remembered that I am a rude New Yorker and waved her off when she flapped her clipboard at me.
I met rob and her friend for dinner and Don Quixote at the Kennedy Center
NBC totally rocked. I will do a proper review tomorrow.

I went to see the propaganda exhibit the last time I was here, and was hugely impressed. I thought it sounded dry as dust, and figured I'd just take a quick peek. I think I ended up spending 2 hours in there before I made it to the regular part of the museum.
I've got Jaleo on my list of places to eat.

Moto Guzzi
06-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Today is the Truckaroo Food Truck Festival near the Nationals stadium.

Imagine all your favorite food trucks all parked in one place, once a month! Well it happens June through October folks and the first festival is this Friday, June 3. Get over to the corner of Half St. and M St. NE between 11:00 AM and 9:00 PM for a world of mobile-NOM!

http://dceventjunkie.com/2011/05/truckeroo-food-truck-festival/

Curbside Cupcakes is tempting. I could do with some "cupcake bliss" about now.

acraven
06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I've just spoken to Marge, and we're on for Sunday brunch. I'm hoping I can find a place that starts serving at 11 AM. Otherwise, it will be 11:30. I'll reserach options in the Dupont/Foggy Bottom neighborhoods this afternoon.

PRLady, please look for a PM from me (shortly).

Also, later today I'll PM my cell phone number to the folks who've expressed an interest in the Sunday brunch.

flyingsit
06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm in for brunch!