PDA

View Full Version : Tourist Tips for DC!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

dbell1
05-29-2011, 12:09 AM
If you didn't go to the Newseum last time, I recommend it more than any other place.

The Newseum was my favorite place. I could have spent the day there. You can see the tiny set of "This Week", Tim Russert's office, newspapers from hundreds of years ago, part of the Berlin Wall... Total news geek blast for me. :)

Also agree with the Sackler/Freer recommendations. And strolling around the Smithsonian Gardens near the Castle is divine. I love the architecture of the American Indian museum, but am sort of 'meh' on the inside. Go hungry - their cafe is amazing (I saw lots of people coming in from local companies to eat. The old overcrowed NYC one still has a place in my heart.

If you can get to it, go to Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum - it's jaw dropping for space fans. http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

My tips? Comfy sneakers and a metro card. I did both before our September trip and it made life easier. I'd go back again this summer, but my son is bored with DC for vacation. Think the heat and humidity did him in. :lol:

allezfred
05-29-2011, 12:33 AM
My abiding memory of DC from when I went there in my teens is of the heat and humidity and a French woman who was on the tour with us fainting in the Capitol. :lol:

Marge_Simpson
05-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Newseum and Renwick are on my list of "must-sees". :)
I went to the American Indian Museum on my last visit and plan to go again this time. I was pretty underwhelmed with the exhibits, but I thought the gift shops and the cafe were the best of all the Smithsonian museums. I am planning to stop in one afternoon and eat lunch there.
Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the Hillwood Estate? It looks like it's tricky to get there by public transportation, should I just get a taxi?

acraven
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the Hillwood Estate? It looks like it's tricky to get there by public transportation, should I just get a taxi?

I've never been to Hillwood, but Google says it's just 0.7 miles from the Van Ness-UDC Metro. The actual distance might be a bit longer, but it still shouldn't be a bad walk if you can tolerate our weather.

If you want a combination of public transportation and cab, you can take Metro to Woodley Park-Zoo (two stops closer to downtown) and walk uphill on Connecticut Ave to the large hotel that will be on your left. Should be cabs there. It might be equally simple to get a cab at Van Ness-UDC or the stop in between (Cleveland Park), but I don't know whether there's anything resembling a cab stand at either one.

Incidentally, there are a lot of moderately priced, ethnically diverse restaurants near the Woodley Park-Zoo station. (Possibly near Cleveland Park and Van Ness as well, but again I'm not familiar with those.)

Debbie S
05-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Have you been to the Spy Museum? It's near the Verizon Center - just a few blocks from the Chinatown Metro stop.

I might be able to make a meet-up, if you guys decide to do another one. I missed the last one due to stupid broken leg (and I think snow may have been involved, too).

Marge_Simpson
05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
I'd love to do a meet-up. :)

flyingsit
05-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm in, schedule permitting!

toepick
05-30-2011, 11:29 PM

I live a block or two away from it. It is easily accessible from the Cleveland Park or Van Ness-UDC Metro.

Marge_Simpson
05-31-2011, 04:12 AM
I can do lunch (or afternoon tea, if anyone is interested in that) on Thursday, Friday, Monday or Tuesday. Brunch or lunch would work on Saturday or Sunday, but I'd need to get to the Kennedy Center by 2 PM saturday and 1:30 PM Sunday.
I can do dinner on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I could also do dinner on Friday, but would need to leave in time to get to the Kennedy Center by 7:30 PM.
Hope to meet some of you soon! :)

aliceanne
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
I can do Friday lunch or Sunday brunch.

Marge_Simpson
06-01-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm staying up all night, because I am NOT a morning person, and I have an early train. If I go to bed, I will not get up on time.
*Marge opens another Starbucks frappuccino*
I will sleep on the train, it terminates at union Station, so there is no danger that I will wake up in Florida. :lol: I've resigned myself to be useless for the rest of the day, however, but I will check back here on Thursday.
On the off chance that I feel reasonably alert in the evening, I may get myself to the Kennedy Center and see if I can get a ticket for the NBC gala. Is anyone else planning to attend? We could meet during the intermssion if I manage to haul my but over there.

Stefanie
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Safe travels, Marge! :)

allezfred
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm staying up all night, because I am NOT a morning person, and I have an early train. If I go to bed, I will not get up on time.
*Marge opens another Starbucks frappuccino*

Do they not have alarm clocks in NYC? :shuffle:

Debbie S
06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Hope you had a safe trip, Marge, and are enjoying the Kennedy Center gala.

I can't do anything on Friday, but I could do lunch/brunch/dinner this weekend or dinner on Tuesday.

Civic
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Two Washington, D.C. restaurants I enjoyed when I was there for Worlds in 2003:

Jaleo's. Spanish restaurant that serves wonderful tapas.
Teaism. Asian-influenced tea shop that serves meals in binto boxes.