PDA

View Full Version : USFSA, PSA Announce 2011 Coach of the Year Nominees

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Garden Kitty
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats to Frank Carroll for the Ritter Shumway award - well deserved: "Presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating." :cheer:

And :cheer: that a photo of Michelle's sprial wins for photo of the year (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=46192)!

And Yuka got the Sonja Henie award.

AYS
05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
And congratulations to Charles Fetter, my first skating coach ever in group lessons 40 years ago for winning the Betty Berens award.

Sylvia
05-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Official press release of the winners was published today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46192

The Coach(es) of the Year Award went to Marina Zoueva and Igor Shpilband, while Kori Ade was named Developmental Coach of the Year. Zoueva and Shpilband were double winners, as they also took home the Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award. The recipient of the Pieter Kollen Sport Science Coaching Award was Christy Krall.
'EDI' AWARDS'

The 'Edi' Awards recognize the top performances in each discipline at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. They are given in recognition of Edi Scholdan, a World and Olympic coach and a first vice president of the PSA who perished in the plane crash that killed the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team.

This year's winners are:

Ladies: Courtney Hicks ("Dark Eyes" short program)
Men's: Ryan Bradley ("Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" short program)
Pairs: Caitlin Yankowskas & John Coughlin ("Ave Maria" free skate)
Ice Dancing: Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani ("The Carousel Waltz" short dance)
Synchronized: Haydenettes ("Burlesque" free skate)

GarrAarghHrumph
05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Josh Babb - this is the first time a synchro coach has been nominated for one of these awards, yes? That's a big deal.

aliceanne
05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Tom Z has already won this award, so it likely won't be him (the year he had Jeremy, Ryan, and Brandon in the the top 4 at nationals for men and Rachael either first or second for the women). The coaches usually win according to their skaters' placements so I would say Zoueva/Shpilband and Christy Krall are shoe-ins.

genevieve
05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Congrats to all the winners - especially KORI!

I was also kinda hoping for Yuka and Jason, but can't deny that it's been Igor and Marina's year

dupagegal
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=genevieve;3197455]Congrats to all the winners - especially KORI!

Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one.
Bill Murray

Sparks
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
How insightful of you, Bill. :rolleyes: :blah:

overedge
05-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one.
Bill Murray

Bitter much??

barbk
06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Any links to the winning photo?

kwanette
06-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Congrats to Frank Carroll for the Ritter Shumway award - well deserved: "Presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating." :cheer:

And :cheer: that a photo of Michelle's sprial wins for photo of the year (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=46192)!

And Yuka got the Sonja Henie award.

Congrats to all...and Frankie's award makes me smile..

Rach on, Kori!

vesperholly
06-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I thought the development coach could not have a skater who won a national title - does that mean a senior title? Jason Brown won the 2010 Junior Men's title.

Criteria:

2011 U.S. Figure Skating/PSA Developmental Coach of the Year Award

In recognition of new talent and superior teaching technique for a coach who has a career record of helping athletes develop to higher levels of the sport and as human beings. A nominee for developmental coach must never have had a national champion and should be recognized for their work with skaters below the senior level.

Her outstanding coaching this year was Jason's performances in Seniors, right? ... :shuffle: Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she won. I've never seen Moeller skate but I absolutely loved Jason Brown's skating.

Jenna
06-01-2011, 05:11 AM
I think the rule only applies to national champions at the senior level. Plus, Jason has been skating at the junior level internationally all season long.

barbk
06-01-2011, 05:12 AM
I thought the development coach could not have a skater who won a national title - does that mean a senior title? Jason Brown won the 2010 Junior Men's title.

Criteria:

Her outstanding coaching this year was Jason's performances in Seniors, right? ... :shuffle: Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she won. I've never seen Moeller skate but I absolutely loved Jason Brown's skating.

I think national champion is only senior -- they actually call it "Championship Ladies" "Championship Dance"... in the USFSA schedules.

Jaana
06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Ahh I wouldn't go that far. She has been lucky with the talent she came across, I would say manager of the year because she is good at getting other people to help her with her students. Coaching actually requires you to know something about stuff like jumps.

Interesting... Anyway, the future (e.g. Jason Brown´s further development as a skater and competitor) will show how good - or not so good - she is as a coach.