PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn, Brigitte....Gaga?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

topaz
05-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Personally, I've loved Madonna as a brunette. She's at her most beautiful as brunette. Just watch the Like a Prayer or Frozen videos.

Grable is an iconic blonde but not bombshell. Does not have the body for it. But I think Marlene Dietrich would be in the bombshell category. Sex appeal for DAYS in Lily Marlene.

I would Ms Sharon Stone to the bombshell too.

Jenny
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I think Madonna is just iconic. You may not like her art or her, but I don't think it can be denied that she's had a long (and continuing) successful career, and that she has broken ground and been culturally influential in many ways.

Rex
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Grable is an iconic blonde but not bombshell. Does not have the body for it. But I think Marlene Dietrich would be in the bombshell category. Sex appeal for DAYS in Lily Marlene.
Grable was never a favorite of mine, but what about her famous WW2 pinup (http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/betty-grable.jpg?w=410&h=524)? You don't consider that "bombshell"?

I never warmed up to Marlene; I know lots of people adore her, but I never got her.

What about Veronica Lake? She was known more for her hairdo, though. Wasn't too interesting without it.

Nekatiivi
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Grable was never a favorite of mine, but what about her famous WW2 pinup (http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/betty-grable.jpg?w=410&h=524)? You don't consider that "bombshell"?

That is not a good ass! Just very flattifyou ask me. Or is it just me...? :slinkaway

taf2002
05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I just looked up some information on Jayne Mansfield. Such a horrible accident. Her daughter is the only one I know, did any of the others go on to be famous? I hope they were all too young to remember anything. :(

I believe they were all asleep in the back seat during the actual crash. I heard an interview that Mariska did where she said although she was only 3 1/2, she has memories of the aftermath. Her brothers were 8 1/2 & 7, so I imagine their memories are more vivid than hers.

Interestingly, that photo was taken when she was 5 mos pregnant. That's why she is posed that way. BTW, I think she has a better booty than JLo.

Whoever mentioned Gwen Stephani....I totally agree she has the Old Hollywood throwback vibe. She is glamerous in that way. Kim Basinger also had that vibe.

PRlady
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Believe it or not....Farrah Fawcett. She was absolutely iconic and blonde, although her body was the first indicator that taut/thin/fit was going to replace curvy as the ideal.

Gaga...no. She's the flavor of the month, or year, and highly entertaining, but she's not going to have the shelf-life of Madonna or even Stefani. Her tunes are already repeating themselves.

Rex
05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
^^This.

And Madonna was interesting, but hardly original.

Cachoo
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I think Madonna is just iconic. You may not like her art or her, but I don't think it can be denied that she's had a long (and continuing) successful career, and that she has broken ground and been culturally influential in many ways.

I always thought of her as an iconic blond but I agree with you on this. She was never my favorite singer but she was a trend setter and had her own vision of the way she wanted to do her job. I remember it was just shocking when she fired the William Morris Agency. That just wasn't done then and certainly not by a female.

And thanks for the mention of Mae West: Maybe the first icon.
Jean Harlow was so young when she died: I'm poor on film history--For some time I would mix her up with Judy Holiday. (sp?)

Jenny
05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
And Madonna was interesting, but hardly original.

I always thought of her as an iconic blond but I agree with you on this. She was never my favorite singer but she was a trend setter and had her own vision of the way she wanted to do her job. I remember it was just shocking when she fired the William Morris Agency. That just wasn't done then and certainly not by a female.

Another example: fashion. This may seem like a little thing to many, but for those of us who lived through both eras, it was a huge: Madonna was the first to reveal her underwear, and publicly wear pretty bras. Before Madonna, you simply did not let a bra strap show, and lingerie choices were plain and matronly for the most part. And further, females had to wear slips under their skirts and dresses, whether they needed them or not. When Madonna came on the scene in the early to mid 80s, just as I was finishing high school and starting to work at grown up jobs, she changed everything.

Another is her penchant for changing her looks and stage personas. Before her, I can't think of anyone so prominent in music or celebrity who transformed so dramatically and so often over such an extended period. I honestly think this paved the way for the rest of us to do it more often - if you were to see my high school yearbooks in the pre-Madonna era, we all looked the same - same hair, same clothes, and we certainly never considered dying our hair. By the late 80s, creating your own fashion style and experimenting with your hair became widespread.

Yes I'm generalizing a bit, and there are exceptions to everything, but I do think that Madonna was the person who triggered a great deal of change in women's approach to fashion and personal style on a very broad level.

UGG
05-11-2011, 08:32 PM
everyone copies Madonna. Lady Gaga basically bites off of everything she has ever done and Christina Aguilera has tried so hard to be the "original" pop star who changes with every album but she never quite hits the mark with her image changes. She also regurgitates everything Madonna has said as far as female empowerment and sexuality. One thing I always thought was funny was that everyone annointed Britney with the "next Madonna" title when in reality...nothing she did had anything to do with Madonna. She was very controversial but she was not being controversial on purpose. She had a mental illness that no one addressed. She does not have any type of say in her career and was always basically a puppet and she is a moron. I do think Gaga has potential to be the "next Madonna". Even though she is a biter, she is a very interesting individual. I like how she is in full charge of her career and writes her own music.

topaz
05-12-2011, 03:17 AM

I never warmed up to Marlene; I know lots of people adore her, but I never got her.

What about Veronica Lake? She was known more for her hairdo, though. Wasn't too interesting without it.

That photo of Grable is legendary but her body is just to straight. Its not curvy enough for bombshell status, imo. Grable is more of "wholesome" pinup. Grable had great legs but not very curvy. I do like Grable alot. One of my favorite actresses from the glorious musical days.

@Taf2002 Grable's butt was flat.

Compare that to another popular pineup Hayworth who was famous for her red locks. But Rita as a blonde, Va Va Voom. In the The Lady From Shanghai Rita is STUNNING.

Lady From Shanghai (http://www.sonypicturesmuseum.com/uploads/img/std_content/rita2_02bg.jpg)

topaz
05-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Surprised no one mentioned Lauren Bacall as an iconice blonde.

Rex, yes Veronica Lake is an iconic blonde. Her hair still duplicated:)

You should read about Lake, her story is tragic. Mental illness and alcholism.

Rex
05-12-2011, 04:11 AM
OMG, topaz, I have read about Lake; what a waste, and what a sad ending. Someone once said that Hollywood was like a giant monster that could eat people up and spit them out. She was one of them. Judy Garland, Frances Farmer, Robert Walker were others whose talents were fueled by their mental issues.

Satellitegirl
05-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Lauren Bacall is a good one for sure, topaz.

Rex
05-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Was Lauren blonde? She was a knockout though; no one else looked like her. I know that they tried to make Lizabeth Scott a rival to her. It didn't work.