PDA

View Full Version : Arnold and Maria split after 25 years

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Cheylana
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I think it's so stupid (and Arnold's not the only one), particularly for someone in limelight to succumb to such desires outside of marriage and pretty much destroy everything he (somehow it almost always seems to be a 'he' though there are some exceptions) has worked for. John Edwards, Tiger Woods, and now Arnold Schwartznegger. It's even stupider to have an affair so close to home and think it won't get out. Of course I don't condone the immorality of the act.
And let's not forget Eliot Spitzer <---- :rolleyes:

A few years ago I read an article on why politicians were always getting caught in infidelity (http://www.newsweek.com/2008/03/12/his-cheating-brain.html). The author posited that the personalities of politicians tend to thrive on risk-taking and thrill-seeking:

For these types, the risk itself is part of the reward. "Breaking rules is a thrill for them," says Frank Farley, a psychologist at Temple University. "Look at Spitzer: he's Mr. Rectitude, the terror of Wall Street, and he busts prostitution rings, and yet he allegedly goes into that very lions' den—the prostitution ring—and partakes. If that isn't risk-taking I don't know what other label to put on it."

duane
05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I more I hear about this, I"m more convinced that people will put up with anything for the sake of money, security, public opinion and kids.
Yes, and IMO when it comes to rich, high-profiled couples, in that order. Intuition is strong. Very few people are in the dark about cheating spouses. But for the sake of money, security, and public image, they put up with it. Once the affairs and/or baby mamas are exposed...oh my gawd! Really? I'm so hurt, so angry, so humiliated.

my little pony
05-19-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm a little :o that she's paid twice as much as I (and all the other grad students) am though.

do you and your co workers also bear your boss's children? that must be worth something

skipaway
05-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Schwarzenegger sons born days apart (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/18/california.schwarzenegger/index.html?hpt=T2)

Allskate
05-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Yes, and IMO when it comes to rich, high-profiled couples, in that order. Intuition is strong. Very few people are in the dark about cheating spouses. But for the sake of money, security, and public image, they put up with it. Once the affairs and/or baby mamas are exposed...oh my gawd! Really? I'm so hurt, so angry, so humiliated.

Maria was a multi-millionaire with plenty of security and I don't think that Arnold added to her stature. You don't have to be rich and high-profile to bury your head in the sand. I certainly have friends and family who have been ridiculously clueless about cheating.

Norlite
05-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Picture of Ahhhhnold dancing with the housekeeper. In his and Maria's home (http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/18/arnold-schwarzenegger-mildred-patty-baena-dancing-photo-1994-maria-shriver-love-child-baby-maria-shriver-mistress/).

Have no fear folks, Harvey and TMZ are on it. :rolleyes:

:shuffle:

Lacey
05-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Sad.

Prancer
05-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Maria was a multi-millionaire with plenty of security and I don't think that Arnold added to her stature. You don't have to be rich and high-profile to bury your head in the sand. I certainly have friends and family who have been ridiculously clueless about cheating.

ITA. I am kinda :eek: at the cynicism. My husband would have a really hard time having an affair without me knowing about it. We live in each other's back pockets. But couples like Arnold and Maria spend a lot of time apart, pursuing separate interests and work. I believe that there is research that shows that most cheating is opportunistic, in that spouses cheat because either the cheater or the cheater's spouse is far away and an opportunity presents itself.

And I don't know if it was the cheating that made her leave, anyway; if I were in Maria's shoes, I would find it easier to forgive adultery than I would all those years that I was in the dark about the child. That is what would make me leave--that he knew all the time and didn't tell me. The adultery.....that would depend.

mag
05-19-2011, 03:25 AM
ITA. ...And I don't know if it was the cheating that made her leave, anyway; if I were in Maria's shoes, I would find it easier to forgive adultery than I would all those years that I was in the dark about the child. That is what would make me leave--that he knew all the time and didn't tell me. The adultery.....that would depend.

I agree with this. I'm not sure how I would respond if I found out my DH had an affair, but a child is another story. It may not be logical or rational, but there you have it. I suspect the fact that the son is the same age as one of Maria's children (only weeks apart?) really added to the sting. Arnold and Maria were obviously getting along well enough for Maria to get pregnant so it is not as if they were estranged but still living together.

Wyliefan
05-19-2011, 03:25 AM
ITA. I am kinda :eek: at the cynicism.

Same here. Maybe she genuinely didn't know. Who are we to say, unless we know every little detail of their marriage and lifestyle?

bek
05-19-2011, 03:28 AM
I actually feel worse for this child who Arnold just claimed. It seems like the mother was claiming someone else was the father and didn't want this to be public. This poor boy's whole world was just thrown apart, with the guy he probably thought was his father not being his father. And he has a father who couldn't even be bothered being a father until it was convenient for him.

duane
05-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Arnold had a reputation of being a notorious playboy before he and Maria married. During the marriage, he was accused of groping women, which he first denied but later admitted. Oh, but I guess marriage changes people. :rolleyes:

I don't think Maria knew about the child, or that Arnold was having an affair right under her nose with the housekeeper. But I seriously doubt that she believed she had a faithful husband and a monogamous marriage.

Allskate
05-19-2011, 05:57 AM
People often believe what they want to believe. I've seen it with people I know. They should have suspected their husbands/boyfriends, but didn't.

topaz
05-19-2011, 06:47 AM
ITA. I am kinda :eek: at the cynicism. My husband would have a really hard time having an affair without me knowing about it. And I don't know if it was the cheating that made her leave, anyway; if I were in Maria's shoes, I would find it easier to forgive adultery than I would all those years that I was in the dark about the child. That is what would make me leave--that he knew all the time and didn't tell me. The adultery.....that would depend.

:lol: I just don't think this kind of behavior by Arnold and Maria(if she knew, which I think she did) is new. These type of things have happened alot through out human history. It's happened in my own family. Both my great grandfathers have illegimate children outside of their marriages and both my great grandmothers knew of the children and stayed married. My GGrandfathers sent money to the children's mothers to support the children.

Heck my paternal grandfather is the result of an adulterous affair and his father was a preacher and the one married.

I bet if more people looked into their family trees they would find children born out of wedlock and adultery. I'm not condoning this behavior but I am a little suprised that the notion that Arnold's behavior is somehow suprising and shocking. :shuffle:

bek
05-19-2011, 06:55 AM
People often believe what they want to believe. I've seen it with people I know. They should have suspected their husbands/boyfriends, but didn't.

Yes but apparently pictures of this boy, say that he is the spitting image of Arnold same jaw line everything. So if this boy was visting like they say he was (apparently when he was a baby) how could Maria NOT have known for a long time. There were reportedly reports of this before in Enquirer etc.