PDA

View Full Version : Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

alilou
05-10-2011, 06:18 PM
As a matter of opinion, I/K are the most talented junior age team I have seen in my 25+ years of ice-dance fandom. :) Many people agree. You may say this is hype, you may say that an insanely talented team has been discovered. The fact is, even when they don't perform well in a competition, even when they are Russia's number 2 or number 3 team, they are the talk of everyone.

I think this is the hype that Proustable is referring to ;)
IMO they are very talented but not more so than V&M at that age. And the talk of everyone? Who's everyone? Not me :P But that's Proustable's point isn't it "they are the talk of everyone". That's the hype. It goes on and on, but there are some of us who are not sold yet. As for me, I prefer Shibs :) Yes, as oleada says I&K are so emotional. But messy at this stage. Shibs are not emotional. That doesn't matter so much to me. They have gorgeous posture, lines, precision, flow, lightness and joy :inavoid: They make me smile with their mad skills and pure dancing and lack of OTT angst :)

Asli
05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Why would you call Schnittke horrible?

You and I are the only two people who like Schnittke here and there is nothing to do but to accept this fact. :P

alilou, fortunately there are different ice dance teams for different tastes. :)

As I said before, there aren't dozens of threads going on about I/K, just this one thread in the whole year. Unfortunately every time three posters in a row say something positive about I/K, another poster denigrates it as hype. I remember the endless swooning about many other ice dancers, or whole threads about obscure US singles and still those did not bother people as hype.

It's good though. Shows I/K are threatening. :P

equatorial
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
They make me smile with their mad skills and pure dancing and lack of OTT angst :)

I risk stirring some serious chit here, but I really don't see any mad skills there (and where is OTT angst in DQ?:confused: or anywhere else for that matter? ;)). The Shibs had one of the simplest FDs among the Top 10. Neatly done, yeah.

Mayra
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I think this is the hype that Proustable is referring to ;)
IMO they are very talented but not more so than V&M at that age. And the talk of everyone? Who's everyone? Not me :P

Well you're "talking" about them now. :shuffle:

Having said that, I/K are no more/less hyped than V/M, S/P were when they first came out. It is just as :scream: OTT and yes, just as deserved. IMO

Unfortunately they have a lot of expectations and as this season has proved, there is going to be a lot of :argue:, :cheer: and :fragile: regarding their programs, their training and their coach. I hope they hold strong and put their blinders on because I can see how all of the "talk" can go to their head.

alilou
05-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I risk stirring some serious chit here, but I really don't see any mad skills there (and where is OTT angst in DQ?:confused: or anywhere else for that matter? ;)). The Shibs had one of the simplest FDs among the Top 10. Neatly done, yeah.

OTT angst wasn't necessarily referring to DQ, just snarking about posters who like the drama in dance, and seem to think that's the most important thing, or the only thing. Actually I like it too when it's well done and believable (eg Kerr's first Muse program), hate it when it's fake (eg everything Linichuck gave B&A - who tried so hard to do that style when it didn't suit them at all).

And since Shibs got 5 level 4's and 2 level 3's I guess it wasn't that simple :P

Well you're "talking" about them now. :shuffle:

Having said that, I/K are no more/less hyped than V/M, S/P were when they first came out. It is just as :scream: OTT and yes, just as deserved. IMO

Unfortunately they have a lot of expectations and as this season has proved, there is going to be a lot of :argue:, :cheer: and :fragile: regarding their programs, their training and their coach. I hope they hold strong and put their blinders on because I can see how all of the "talk" can go to their head.
You got me :lol: Yes I am talking about them. I must admit I don't dislike them at all, and could very well grow to love them. Just can't see why there's so much love at this stage. Wish I could but they've done nothing yet to really grab me.

peibeck
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Considering their respective ages, I think I/K and the Shibs both have amazing edge work and speed. The Shibs did have easier transitions in their FD, but for their required elements obviously they have the highest levels, so saying the dance was "easy" is a bit subjective.

Aside from which, I hardly think the Shibs expected to be top 3 in their first Worlds, and would not have been had P/B not taken a tumble. I/K, as beautifully expressive as they are, simply made too many technical baubles in their free dance.

While I think I/K should stay with Zhulin as a coach, I have to admit I would love to see Pasquale choreograph a program (or two) for them. His style is very story/character driven, which I think would suit them beautifully.

Asli
05-10-2011, 07:14 PM
While I think I/K should stay with Zhulin as a coach, I have to admit I would love to see Pasquale choreograph a program (or two) for them. His style is very story/character driven, which I think would suit them beautifully.

I agree, I would love to see that too.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
(eg everything Linichuck gave B&A - who tried so hard to do that style when it didn't suit them at all).

I agree that Tosca didn't suit them, but I thought Ave Maria suited them just fine and was reminiscent of B&A's earliest programs. I think too many fans just got used to the perk and forgot about programs like Alexandros.

Anyway, I hope the rumors about I&K leaving Zhulin are just that. As for choreo, Camerlengo would be a good idea. I also wouldn't mind them trying out some Roca or Klimova choreo.

alilou
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree that Tosca didn't suit them, but I thought Ave Maria suited them just fine and was reminiscent of B&A's earliest programs. I think too many fans just got used to the perk and forgot about programs like Alexandros.

That may be true, but I don't remember the perk particularly, or Alexandros. I remember Shadritza (which I think suited them perfectly) and Chopin :swoon:

(Hated Ave Maria - not a fan of religious stuff, didn't find it believable, and the costumes were awful and got worse as the season went on).

Sorry for OT.

marbri
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
You and I are the only two people who like Schnittke here and there is nothing to do but to accept this fact. :P

alilou, fortunately there are different ice dance teams for different tastes. :)

As I said before, there aren't dozens of threads going on about I/K, just this one thread in the whole year. Unfortunately every time three posters in a row say something positive about I/K, another poster denigrates it as hype. I remember the endless swooning about many other ice dancers, or whole threads about obscure US singles and still those did not bother people as hype.

Come on. It is NOT possible to be a member of FSU for so long and actually believe that bolded part above.

Taso
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM

I felt the same, I thought it was the best FD they ever had, they just didn't really turn it on at Nationals and the Olympics and I think people seemed to remember that more than the choreography.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Zhulin has worked wonders with I/K. At this age they have to improve their technique and with Zhulin they have the best possible coach IMO. :)

....If I/K stay with Zhulin, they will be his main focus towards Sochi. I hope they stay and they end up with the same result as N/K. :cheer:

IMO, I&K have everything they need to be one of the main contenders for gold as long as they stay on track. At the moment I agree that they need to stay with Zhulin. I also can't think of any other coach who could do more for them than Zhulin can (I'm talking about training and program choices).

I will admit that the only thing that has me worried is that the trend in icedance is towards althletic tricks and speed. Zhulin's teams have tended to be more of a "overall" complete package but with emphasis on creativity and interesting themes in their programs. Unless the trend flips once again, I do wonder if I&K will rise even if they continue to steadily improve.

I'm probably in a minority but I prefer B&S. I&K are more promising and I did enjoy their Don Quixote, but I find B&S to be understated in a lovely way. Though their FD this season certainly left a lot to be desired.

B/S are everything I/K are not IMHO.
While I appreciate their technical abilities, they totally lack emotion. That's why I call them "vibrators": technically good but zero emotion.

I/K are sloppy sometimes and make mistakes but BOY do they ooze charisma :swoon:

I love I&K but I do like B&S as well. However, at the moment they remind me of the issues I had with DomShabs even before Maxim's knee problems. B&S have great technique but their programs are not showing them off to the fullest advantage. Very blah and generic. B&S are better than that and IMHO are well capable of better choreography.

You didn't hear it? Seriously? Everywhere I went, there were people calling them locks to win in Sochi just after winning World Juniors. Not just from fans either, from fearmongers as well. It was wierd.

I think the fearmongers don't neccesarily think that I&K are good but those people seem to be doing the same thing they did last season when they were so sure that DomShabs were going to be given the gold in Vancover simply for being Russian. There are those who think that they will be given the political push especially with the Olympics being in Russia. Even Judy Blumberg seemed to encourage the idea that anything Elena and Nikita receive from here on in will be due to the location of the 2014 Olympics and their nationalities. :blah: Her exact words were "you can see they are getting the push." Not sure how that was since B&S, I&K and others had been battling for the number one Russian spot all season and at worlds B&S finished ahead of I&K.

Cloudy_Gumdrops, ITA about people forgetting about B&A's beginnings as a team. Also perhaps some people may not have been following icedance until B&A's perky years. I think Tosca was meant to be a transitional program; what Linichuk thought B&A could handle while they continued to adjust to the changes she made in their skating.

I often wonder if Ave Maria being a religious song turned people off; these days anything religious doesn't seem to sit well with most. Although for some reason when other teams have used that piece it seemed to be better received.

Along with the bad costumes (I did like the design of the bottom half of Tanith's dress) I noticed the other day while watching that the interpretation of Ave Maria seemed to have changed. At Cup of China and Skate America, I thought that Tanith was supposed to be an angel helping Ben and the expression was softer and flowing. By the end of the season it was more dramatic. I think that tends to happen when a team is trying to figure out what the judges want and end up changing things that didn't really need to be changed. Look at how DelShoes tweaked Carnival in Venice and T&D completely changed Let's Face the Music and Dance back in 1994. Carnival in Venice never did look as amazing as it did at Skate America as the 05/06 season progressed. Sometimes teams get so caught up in trying to make up those points that they change their programs for the worse.

I still loved Ave Maria but clearly the changes didn't sit well with everyone.

fanof
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM

As I said before, there aren't dozens of threads going on about I/K, just this one thread in the whole year. Unfortunately every time three posters in a row say something positive about I/K, another poster denigrates it as hype. I remember the endless swooning about many other ice dancers,

Asli, :respec: :D

alilou, :blah::blah::mad:

alilou
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Asli, :respec: :D

alilou, :blah::blah::mad:

Gosh fanof, I guess you disagree with me :lol:

oleada
05-10-2011, 08:48 PM

I would love to see that.

Where's that "I agree with Asli" banner I made...?