PDA

View Full Version : 'Family' Matriarch Sada Thompson Dies at 81

Rex
05-09-2011, 03:05 AM
From a lung ailment. (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20110508/US.Obit.Thompson/)

Her character used to annoy me because she was so self-righteous at times, but she played the hell out of that part. This was one of the shows we'd beg our parents to let us stay up and watch.

RIP.

Aimless
05-09-2011, 03:18 AM
I knew her slightly (close friend's mother was her close friend) and she was a brilliant, handsome, engaging, funny woman. An acid wit. I've often shared my favorite anecdote from her. She told us that Rosalind Russell had a sleazy companion that nobody liked, and she referred to him as "the lizard of Roz." Also loved her remark regarding some earnest young person who was a bit too confiding: "I simply loathe candor." She was a fine actress and had a rich, long, accomplished life.

Norlite
05-09-2011, 03:25 AM
God I loved that show. Even in syndication I never missed it. Haven't seen it in years and years though.

RIP Ms. Thompson.

Rex
05-09-2011, 03:32 AM
I knew her slightly (close friend's mother was her close friend) and she was a brilliant, handsome, engaging, funny woman. An acid wit. I've often shared my favorite anecdote from her. She told us that Rosalind Russell had a sleazy companion that nobody liked, and she referred to him as "the lizard of Roz." Also loved her remark regarding some earnest young person who was a bit too confiding: "I simply loathe candor." She was a fine actress and had a rich, long, accomplished life.
:) What a great story. Thanks for sharing that.

Grannyfan
05-09-2011, 03:42 AM
I loved that show, too. Had forgotten all about it.

soxxy
05-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Loved her, loved Family, and she was a great stage actress.

RIP, Sada Thompson.

TalentedButHumble
05-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Oh yeah, I liked that show too. In a way it was another one of those "comfortable/ comforting" images of families like The Cosby Show and The Waltons.

I've heard the "lizard of Roz" anecdote before. IIRC Ethel Merman said that about Russell's husband, whom she blamed for losing out on the movie version of "Gypsy." (Which ties us into another death this week, Arthur Laurents.)

Norlite
05-09-2011, 04:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zkRRRTdML4

mysticchic
05-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I loved that show. One of my top 10 of all time! RIP

skatesindreams
05-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Wonderful story!

She was great as Mary Todd Lincoln, also.
I will miss her.

Rex
05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Oh God, all morning, the 'Family' theme music has been stuck in my head...