PDA

View Full Version : What the Finns need to know about Portugal

MikiAndoFan#1
05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1Sez9uIRA

A friend of mine sent me this video on Facebook. It has tons of fun facts about Portugal. :)

genevieve
05-07-2011, 05:01 PM
that was very fun - but why directed at the Finns? Just because of the flag similarity?

Vagabond
05-07-2011, 05:32 PM
genevieve, watch the clip all the way to the end. That's where you'll find the answer to your question. :)

Finnice
05-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Because Finland is now voting if we support the EU decision of granting the Portuguese economy packet.

A very conservative an non-EU-supporting party won and became third biggest in our parliament. Some other parties, or members of them are flirting with those forces. If Finland decides to say no to the EU support, it can drown the whole package.

I am very ashamed to be a Finn right now:cold:, even though I am totally pro the garantee and against the horrible conservatism and protectionism.

I hope that sense wins. MikiAndoFan, obrigado! I shall post this video to all of my friends.

genevieve
05-07-2011, 06:36 PM
genevieve, watch the clip all the way to the end. That's where you'll find the answer to your question. :)
I did watch it all the way to the end - I saw how it looped back to Finland but not why the video was made.

Because Finland is now voting if we support the EU decision of granting the Portuguese economy packet.

A very conservative an non-EU-supporting party won and became third biggest in our parliament. Some other parties, or members of them are flirting with those forces. If Finland decides to say no to the EU support, it can drown the whole package.

Thank you - that makes sense! I hope Finland votes to allow the Portuguese economy packet.

And I had not thought Portugal was a Spanish colony but I had a hard time remembering it was in Europe and not South America, until I started researching a trip to Spain. Yes, I am a Rude Amerikan and I suck at geography

MikiAndoFan#1
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I can see that Finnice has answered your question, genevieve. :) I'm always too late. :drama:

I hope that sense wins. MikiAndoFan, obrigado! I shall post this video to all of my friends.

You are very welcome, Finnice! :cheer2:

And I had not thought Portugal was a Spanish colony but I had a hard time remembering it was in Europe and not South America, until I started researching a trip to Spain. Yes, I am a Rude Amerikan and I suck at geography

:rofl:

IceAlisa
05-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Do you think it's true that 60% of rude Amerikans think Portugal is the province of Spain? :eek:

Vagabond
05-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure that 60% of Americans have formed any ideas about what Portugal is.

Selected findings from a survey taken in December 2005 - January 2006 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12591413/ns/us_news-education/t/young-americans-shaky-geographic-smarts/)

One-third of respondents couldn’t pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.
Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
Two-thirds didn’t know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

And I would add that I have met a lot of people with degrees from well-regarded colleges and universities (even higher degrees) who have surprising gaps in their knowledge of world geography, such as not knowing what Baja California is (this after several years of living in Los Angeles County) or whether Peru was on the western or eastern coast of South America.

IceAlisa
05-07-2011, 07:35 PM
:yikes:

allezfred
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Portugal is NOT the only European to have never won the Eurovision Song Contest. They are just the country who have participated the longest without winning. :P

Other countries who have never won are Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia (although Croatian band won representing Yugoslavia in 1989), Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Moldova, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia.

MikiAndoFan#1
05-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Portugal is NOT the only European to have never won the Eurovision Song Contest. They are just the country who have participated the longest without winning. :P

:drama:

Other countries who have never won are Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia (although Croatian band won representing Yugoslavia in 1989), Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Moldova, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia.

You forgot Albania, Lithuania and Malta. :saint:

masofs
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks a lot, MikiAndoFan#1! Viva Portugal! :)

beepbeep
05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
This thread is fun :)

The notion of not knowing where Portugal is, is just :huh: to me... (but then again, I'm rude Brazilian :P )

allezfred
05-07-2011, 08:10 PM
You forgot Albania, Lithuania and Malta. :saint:

Oops. There goes my Eurovision cred. :slinkaway :drama: :fragile:

Nekatiivi
05-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Timo Soini (the leader of True Finns) writes in Wall Street Journal why he won't vote for economy packet for Portugal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703864204576310851503980120.html