PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone coupon?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

NancyNC
05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I do look through the flyers for coupons, but only search for products that I use regularly. I don't use a coupon for something just to stock up - I have too much in my cabinets/closets as it is! I also signed up for e-mail at the grocery store where I usually shop (Harris Teeter) and get weekly notifications of specials. Between sales, my grocery card and coupons, I can usually knock $15-$25 off of my bill without expending a lot of time or effort.

zhenya271
05-09-2011, 04:07 PM
When my kids were in diapers I would clip and save the Pampers brand diapers and wipes coupons. Those were usually a $1.00-1.50 off for the diapers. Coupons for other products I find just end up leaving a big mess in my purse.

I do, do a lot of online shopping and have saved money through ebates for about 10 years.

julieann
05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Personal care items, OTOH ... I was pretty freaking proud of myself when I used a $5 off $10 coupon at Ulta when Herbal Essences were 2 for $5, and ended up with 4 bottles for $1.25 each. I also stocked up on my Maybelline mascara when it was 40% off at Rite Aid and I had a bunch of $1 off coupons. But I've never been able to get significant savings on food products.

6,000 posts! :cheer2:

I save a lot on personal care products, especially make-up.

I did get really excited when I went to a pharmaceutical website and printed off a $50.00 off coupon for my son's asthma medication.

I think every dime counts as long as your not buying stuff you don't need.

star_gazer11
05-10-2011, 02:52 AM
I don't really use coupons frequently, but I am starting to get more into the group buys.

I got a hair appointment that included wash, cut, conditioning treatment, style, and four highlights for $30. Of course, they want you to add more highlights, and the add-on price was reasonable, but I'm lazy with maintaining colour. So I only got what was included, and had them put the highlights around the face.

Another one was for 50% off spa service, and 50% off gift certificates to a store (get $40 worth for $20 type deals).

FigureSpins
05-10-2011, 03:14 AM
I've been thinking I should start couponing, but I think I might end up buying stuff I won't even really want and don't want to spend the time searching out coupons. It would be nice if there was one central place to search for any coupon you could want. You know, just do a search with your grocery list. We coupon most of the time, but nothing like the Extreme Couponers. I think for beauty supplies, the company websites have the best offers. I download coupons to my grocery card once or twice a month, but only for things I would ordinarily purchase. That way, if I need and buy Nathan's mustard (which is very good, btw) the coupon gets used automagically.

DH used to go through the coupon box and pull out any that were expiring soon, to buy things before they expired. It really bugged him when a "good" coupon expired, especially when markets offer double or triple coupon deals. After he mentioned that a big coupon "went to waste," I pointed out that it really meant we didn't buy something we didn't need. There will always be other coupons or deals and it's not like I don't keep a full pantry of 1 or 2 extra things, so we can wait for a sale when we have a coupon.

There's a new approach to couponing that I've been trying and it's working out okay. You only clip when you need something for a particular shopping trip. It means hanging onto the circulars for a few weeks, but they are neater than the clipped coupons and just as easy to find and clip. The best couponing deals + sale prices are usually the first week when the circular comes out, ime.

There is a website that tracks the coupons and where the products are on sale, to help you buy things with the maximum discount. I'll see if I can find the link.

SharonDudd
05-10-2011, 03:24 AM
I would keep the flyers for at least a month if you see something really good on sale that you had bought at full price...Target will refund the difference to you if any item goes on sale after you purchased it. Walmart is pretty good with matching any other stores sale (but it has to be the exact same thing for them to do so) and they do it at the register right away. I cut out all the diaper and other baby needs related things and send them to my daughter's friends who are all either preggo or gave babies that need all those things.

One simple hint that I still use when I go to the store is that when I'm sitting and watching TV, I sort through the coupons and then paperclip them to whatever store flyer that applies. This makes the time spent in the store a whole lot easier for everyone, including a post it with what I'm there to buy in the first place.

Gazpacho
05-10-2011, 06:09 AM
I have seen Extreme Couponing and I am convinced that their isn't much different between those people and those people on that hoarding show - except that the couponers are neater.I agree that it can become a manifestation of OCD.

BigB08822
05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I am about to go postal on Albertsons. I went 3 times trying to take advantage of their big sale on ground turkey when they had it on sale for 10 for $10. I finally got a raincheck when it was clear they wouldn't bother to get enough in. I have now gone back 2 times to use my rain check and NO GROUND TURKEY. I have probably used enough gas to make up for any money I might save. Pathetic. I don't know what to do but I think I am going to call and raise hell and demand they order 10 and hold them for me in the back. I wish this store wasn't right up the street because it is so poorly run and managed.

Norlite
05-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I am about to go postal on Albertsons. I went 3 times trying to take advantage of their big sale on ground turkey when they had it on sale for 10 for $10. I finally got a raincheck when it was clear they wouldn't bother to get enough in. I have now gone back 2 times to use my rain check and NO GROUND TURKEY. I have probably used enough gas to make up for any money I might save. Pathetic. I don't know what to do but I think I am going to call and raise hell and demand they order 10 and hold them for me in the back. I wish this store wasn't right up the street because it is so poorly run and managed.

So what if they've been ordering and ordering and they can't get any in?

I know when a particular supermarket chain has an amazing sale on one item, they exhaust the supply from the processor for everywhere. It's hard to find that particulr item even in competing supermarkets.

In other words, don't always blame the little guy, they're on the bottom of the food chain and probably don't have much control. If you want to get in someone's face, harrass their head office.

FiveRinger
05-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Does your coupon have an expiration date? If not, don't stress. If it does, contact the store manager. At my store rainchecks expire in 30 days. Also make sure that your raincheck doesn't have a quantity limit. Of the sale brochure had a limit, most likely your raincheck will. Good luck!

fan
05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
I confess that I have signed up for all of these:

www.groupon.com
www.wagjag.com
www.dealzies.ca
www.swarmjam.com
www.redflagdeals.com
www.livingsocial.com
www.dealfind.com
www.dealticker.com
www.dealathons.com
www.kijijideals.ca
www.teambuy.ca
www.stealthedeal.com
www.yayacalgary.com

i go to www.dealradar.com everyday - it compiles all of the deals into one site, so you dont need to have all of emails cluttering up your inbox

FigureSpins
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the dealradar tip - I used to subscribe to groupon, but I didn't care for it that much. There was something odd about the way they communicated the deals and I could never find anything for the businesses I frequented, yet others would post about a great deal. When they gave me the link, it was always sold out already. Too frustrating and yes, I received waaay too many emails each day.

We just lost our 20+ year-old emails thanks to AT&T idiocy, so DH and I decided to start anew and subscribe sparingly to make the inboxes more manageable. I do use a separate junk email ID to keep my real inbox uncluttered. Not that I check my email...

The site I mentioned before that compiles by-store lists of couponing deals tied to circulars is http://www.southernsavers.com

I hadn't heard of this before, but there's a site dedicated to shopping at Target!
http://www.totallytarget.com/weekly-ad/

BigB08822
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
i go to www.dealradar.com everyday - it compiles all of the deals into one site, so you dont need to have all of emails cluttering up your inbox

This is great if you live in one of the few cities they have linked to. Otherwise it seems to be of no use. I still don't understand why Baton Rouge is so often ignored and New Orleans is always an option. Baton Rouge is bigger and more populated than New Orleans now. Grrr...

Ajax
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but a great tip for coupons is to use your smartphone if you happen to have one. There are many different coupon apps. You can scan the item you want in the store with your phone and if there's a coupon available for it the phone will show it :) It also delivers weekly/daily coupons to your phone.

Octoberopals
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Five Ring, I, too have found that Kroger 'suddently' has changed their policy about doubling coupons. I suspect that more & more stores will follow as word spreads about the TV series Extreme Couponing. HEB [only in TX, I think] has their own in-store coupons, but will accept other printed ones......but not in combination with their in-store ones.

As there are only 2 of us here now.....the kids grew up!!!!!.....I find it difficult to even think about storing 500 bottles of anything, except water. On the other hand, if your family is large, it's probably a good deal.

I've also found that going to SAM's or COSCO before the beginning of Hurricane Season & 'stocking up" [just in case....we live in Houston & are the designated Hurricane House for our family], that everything usually last at least a year+. I try to get the freezer as empty as possible before hurricane season in case the electricity goes out. We do have an outside gas grill to use if needed [of course we use it all the time anyway].

I personally find it a bit disturbing that some people buy so very much of everything, even if they don't use it [kitty litter or diapers were mentioned on the show]. How on earth can an average family of 4-5 people use all that stuff before it expires?