PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone coupon?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Christina
05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
For Winn Dixie, try this website www.winndixieonadime.com

I shop at Publix here in Florida, so they don't double or anything. For that I go to iheartpublix.com

I've become a pretty good couponer in the past year. We decided this year to only pay for groceries with cash, and to save the left over at the end of the week. So far I've got about $400 saved up as leftover money. I also make sure to buy in bulk when it makes sense. Last week Publix had whole sirloin tip on sale for $2.99 per pound. I bought one ($30) and had the meat department cut it up into two roasts, three big steaks and the rest ground up into hamburger. Since there is just me and my husband, I've made two meatloafs and frozen them, meatballs for 4 dinners, the steaks will be three dinners and the roast will be four (one leftover day per roast). So for that $30 I've got 13 days worth of dinners. Doing stuff like that is how I save the most money. We bought a chest freezer about two years ago, and I freeze lots and lots of stuff. Bread can be frozen when it is buy one get one, milk can be frozen (but we rarely buy that). I won't buy any cereal unless it's under $1 per box.

Check out the coupon policy for them - sometimes you can do two manufacturer coupons when there is a bogo sale. That's how I save the most money.

Norlite
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I usually cash in my airmiles for Rexall drug store gift cards. I did the grocery store certificates for years, but then decided I loved free frivolous makeup crap more.

:rollin:

numbers123
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I've been thinking I should start couponing, but I think I might end up buying stuff I won't even really want and don't want to spend the time searching out coupons.

^^^^
This.
Plus if I choose generic brands for some things, it is a much more cost effective way to do it without the hassle of searching for, printing, taking them to the store with you and actually using them.

I look on sites like couponbug.com to see if there are any coupons I might use, but rarely are they ones that I would buy products if they were non-couponed. I do use the "helper" ones - which seem to be in each week's couponbug.com selection when I want to give to the food cupboard at church. With just the 2 of us now, using pasta and other inexpensive ingredients to make the sauces (flour, milk, butter, seasonings) is much more cost-effective than using boxed meals. Since I have to buy the tuna, chicken or beef to add to it anyway. A bag of egg noodles is so cheap, a bag of spaghetti, a box or bag of rice, etc. But that doesn't always fit in everyone's schedules

I have just been to Kroger's website. Apparently they are implementing a new coupon policy nationwide where they will no longer be doubling or tripling coupons.
When Kroger's aka Baker's in my area quit doubling policies, the doubling offers died in all stores. I don't think I have seen a double coupon day in 5 or 6 years.

Buzz
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I rarely coupon most because everytime I buy a saturday newspaper the coupons are usually missing. So I just wait for the sales.

TwizzlerS
05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I started to use coupons about 2 years ago because my kids are older now (so I could convince myself I have the time) and we have a bigger house with lots of storage space and a 2nd refrigerator. I have never seen an extreme couponing show so I don’t know their tricks. But, here’s what I do.

1. I keep a small 3 X 5 index card box with labeled cards for various categories (groceries; dairy; pharmacy; pets; household). Within each category are separate sections (pasta; baking; cereal, etc). I place the coupons into these sections so when I need something, I can find if I have a coupon for it. In the front of the box, I have sections for each store I frequent so I can finally keep track of the Extra coupons you can get from various stores and remember to use them before they expire.
2. I chose 4 stores to frequent (1 grocery, CVS, Walgrens, & Target) and every Sunday, I go through the coupon flyers (Red Plum, etc) and the flyers from these 4 stores. I cut out coupons and sort them and create my shopping list making comparisons between flyers on various items.
3. I only buy loss leaders at Walgrens and CVS.
4. I have the card at CVS so I can get Extracare bucks as well as their usual $5 off a $25 or $30 bill coupon via e-mail. If I can’t spend $30 in a reasonable way, I don’t use it.
5. I keep an Excel file of my weekly purchases with columns for how much I spent, how much I saved (the receipts from all the stores print this on the receipt), and how much I saved. I typically save 30% on my weekly shopping trips.
6. I also found that my grocery store (which, by the way triples coupons up to 50 cents and doubles up to a dollar) has a flyer in Wednesday’s paper with more specials and coupons that are valid on the weekend when I do my shopping.

I have timed myself and I probably spend about an hour doing the coupons each week. I don’t think that’s too bad. Plus, I find I enjoy the challenge each week to see how much I can save. It’s exciting when I get several items for free or very little money because of various coupons but that only happens at Walgrens or CVS. And, I know the “savings” is not a true value. For example, I rarely save more than 10% at Target but they have the best prices on pet food, compared to the other stores and to Pet stores, and that does not get reflected in the “savings”.

Here’s another thing I done that sort of related to “couponing”. I use an Amazon Visa card that has no yearly fees. Every month I can get $25 gift certificates to use on Amazon based on points made on purchases. It’s amazing how many things you can get on Amazon. Most of the things in my kitchen were free (small appliances, crystal wine glasses, etc) but I also “buy” underwear, computer supplies, linens, things for my dog, etc as well as CDs and books. If there’s something I want to buy but I don’t have the certificates yet, I just put it on my Wishlist and get it once I have the certificates.

You definitely need to make a commitment to using coupons and keep at it for a while to reap the benefits. I think the greatest benefit is the satisfaction and thrill I get about how much I save each week.

paskatefan
05-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I clip coupons for the things I might potentially use. When I pass on the unclipped coupons to a co-worker. When I'm at a store, if I have extra coupons for an item that will expire before I have a chance of using them, I just leave them on the shelf so someone can use it instead.

John 3 17
05-08-2011, 12:35 PM
We've always bought the Sunday paper so I've always been somewhat into coupons. It is time-consuming going through them (the Chicago Tribune sometimes will have three or four thick stacks per one Sunday paper, esp. around holidays) but I really try to use coupons on items that are more than $5. So, the large mouthwash I use, my $10 face lotion, Pantene shampoo/conditioner, etc will usually have a coupon to go with, esp since those products usually have $1 coupons. I love buying the products at once and saving $5 :)

-Bridget

missflick
05-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Hmm, I don't "coupon" as a verb, but I do sometimes use coupons. However I eat so few processed foods, and so many of my personal care & home care products are generics, there aren't a lot of coupons of that type that work for me.

"Extreme couponing" doesn't work in Canada, either, since stores here don't do doubling.

Where I do use coupons, though, is for restaurants. I buy an Entertainment Book every year, and a lot of my favourite restaurants have extra coupons from the EB web site, or in the local restaurants. And I've recently become a bit of an addict for Groupon. At last count I think I was getting daily emails from at least 7 of them: Groupon, WagJag, TeamBuy, EthicalDeals, SwarmJam, Bargoonz, and DealFind. I've used them for revisiting known favourites and for trying new places. They're also good for other types of deals, like yoga, spas, movie theatres, and a big score of half off my BCAA membership renewal.

Your last paragraph. Never heard of Bargoonz...will check them out. There are others. I will get the full list later.

missflick
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I confess that I have signed up for all of these:

www.groupon.com
www.wagjag.com
www.dealzies.ca
www.swarmjam.com
www.redflagdeals.com
www.livingsocial.com
www.dealfind.com
www.dealticker.com
www.dealathons.com
www.kijijideals.ca
www.teambuy.ca
www.stealthedeal.com
www.yayacalgary.com

ilovepaydays
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I have seen Extreme Couponing and I am convinced that their isn't much different between those people and those people on that hoarding show - except that the couponers are neater.

I use coupons fairly regularly - the supermarket I go to will double all coupons up to 99 cents but on Wednesdays they will double $1.00 coupons. There is a 20 coupon limit and you can have a max of two like items doubled. When I go grocery shopping, I can usually get about $80-90 in groceries down to $50-60.

I know how to get certain things for little or no cost, but I don't understand the mentality of some of those couponers that they will get 20 bottles of mustard because they will end up getting them for 5 cents each. I also wonder from the show how grocery stores deal with customers like that. Some of those checkouts on that show last over 2 hours. :eek:

Hannahclear
05-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I've got a great deal brewing at Rite-Aid this week.

They have a promotion. There are several brands, that if you buy $20 worth, you get a $10 coupon on your next purchase. The two brands I will use are Aveeno shampoo and Clean and Clear. I've got $3 off 2 bottles of Aveeno shampoo and that Clean and Clear wash is expensive, but something I use to maintain a sparkling complexion.

I figure I'll get two bottles of shampoo and maybe 4 or 5 Clean and Clear. I have to make sure I hit $20, even with coupon. The items are all buy one, get one half off, so I need more.

I will already have picked out Venus Breeze cartridges for my $10 coupon.

All told, I should be getting two shampoos, five Clean and Clear (like enough for a year or so) and Venus Breeze cartridges for about $25 out of pocket. It's respectable. All of those brands are expensive, but work well.

numbers123
05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I know I hate it when I am behind someone with scads of coupons. Or someone who has carefully documented all the prices for a price match. I was once behind someone who had scanned every single ad for the week, cut out each item with the sale price and asked to have them price matched. Two carts. Filled to the brim. When I realized what was happening, I went to another line. A line that had 5 people deep. I was completing my checkout as the person finally had groceries scanned, price matched and bagged. I felt really bad for that checker.

SharonDudd
05-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Go to: couponsuzy.com and you can print them at home.

When my kids were younger, I had my system down pat. I took 2 of those clear bins that are shoe box size andmark one food and the other non-food. I also took a set of alphabetical index cards and I would sort the coupons into the right bin. I'd have it down to a science, at least sort of but I saved a whole lot of money that way.

manhn
05-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I don't coupon with stores but if I see a coupon for a restaurant I frequent, I will save it. The products that are featured in these coupons are things I never purchase or very rarely purchase (I don't know when I will ever use up all of my toothpaste I currently have).

But I do keep track of prices of items I purchase on a regular basis or will want to purchase in the near future. I keep a price list in my Blackberry and if I see something I need again, I can browse through my cell to see how much I should spend for it.

FiveRinger
05-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I know how to get certain things for little or no cost, but I don't understand the mentality of some of those couponers that they will get 20 bottles of mustard because they will end up getting them for 5 cents each. I also wonder from the show how grocery stores deal with customers like that. Some of those checkouts on that show last over 2 hours. :eek:

I've seen that happen on the show several times.....the cust would have so many transactions that the cash register would lock up and the manager would have to either: a) figure out how to unlock the machine for the cashier to continue scanning groceries/coupons or b) have the entire order cancelled and re-rung by several cashiers to hurry up and get them the hell out of there! :yikes: This should be the first clue that you've got too much sh*t! But, that was evident before they even left home.

Like I said, I'm wanting to learn how to cut down on some expenses, eliminate a few if I can. But spending 2+ hrs just at the check-out? How many hours does it take to get all of this stuff in the cart? That would be enough to make me hate shopping.