PDA

View Full Version : AI: Top 5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Allskate
05-07-2011, 03:07 AM
And FWIW, I would be curious to hear Jacob's "Crazy", and think it would have been a better choice than "No Air".

Contestants have repeatedly asked to perform Crazy on Idol and never got clearance. Did Jacob really get clearance?

I agree that the contestants have to stand up to Jimmy because the contestant is the one who pays the price if it's a bad song choice. They not only need votes, but need to show what kind of artist they will be in the future and build a fan base accordingly.

But, I do understand why it's hard to stand up to Jimmy. He's not only more experienced, but will be deciding whether to sign the person and what kind of album they will make with what kind of resources. I just think that Jimmy is clueless with some of the contestants.

taf2002
05-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Haley's story was different. It was clear it was Jimmy's idea & she agreed. But Jacob defended his choice on Wed night & made it sound like it was his choice. He said something like this is the kind of recording I want to do. You can't have it both ways Jacob. If it had worked I agree we would have never heard a word from Jacob about its being Jimmy's idea.

BigB08822
05-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Jacob, how stupid do you think we are? Stop and think about it. Crazy was done by Gnarls Barkley. 1/2 of Gnarls Barkley is Cee Lo Green. Cee Le Green is currently a judge/mentor on The Voice which is direct competition for American Idol. Would it have ever been cleared? I seriously doubt it. Not to mention past contestants have wanted to sing it before and never gotten the green light. Maybe Jimmy recommended a different song because he knew it wasn't going to get cleared. Furthermore, if Jacob was told not to do Crazy he didn't HAVE to do the next song mentioned to him. If he didn't like No Air then say no thanks and find another song. I could swear Iovine made a comment about not liking No Air as a song choice in the package but maybe I am remembering Randy's comments. If Iovine made those comments then Jacob looks like he is just lying. Jacob has absolutely no redeeming qualities...

Aceon6
05-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I could swear Iovine made a comment about not liking No Air as a song choice in the package but maybe I am remembering Randy's comments. If Iovine made those comments then Jacob looks like he is just lying. Jacob has absolutely no redeeming qualities...

Just replayed it. In the package, Jimmy says "Jacob chose a duet to sing and he's going to sing both parts. It's very, very hard to do, but Jacob is going for it, and I think everybody should be really proud of him." This was accompanied by the Italian hand gestures that usually signal exasperated/fed up, and with a facial expression that looked more like resignation than approval.

IIRC, the times Jimmy's actually suggested the song, they've said so, although they did have the producer of the original in the studio, so Jimmy may have his hand in this one. I wonder if it was one of the ones on Jimmy's list, but not Jimmy's first choice, thus the facial expression not matching the words.

WindSpirit
05-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I completely understand that lots of people who watch AI and folks from this board do not really listen to and keep up with R&B music. That's fine. But he's a singer than can find a place in R&B and have a very good career. Why do you always think it's either his race or entire genre of music, etc., and never Jacob, the person alone whom people might not like? :huh: It is!

I wouldn't say Jacob's R&B at all. More like gospel. I'm not a fan, but then again George Huff sang gospel and I loved him all the same, because I just love George Huff. And judging by remarks here after he showed up on the show singing with Jennifer Hudson, many people loved him, too. Idol has had quite a few R&B singers. It's not Jacob's race or the genre of music he sings that don't people like. It's his vibrato, his mannerisms, his perceived delusions of grandeur, etc. His personal traits. So I don't get where those hasty generalizations are coming from.

Kelly Clarkson "Um Haley on Idol just killed it! Wow!! You can sing girl! One of my favorite performances ever on Idol!" I wanted to like it, but I still think Siobhan Magnus' version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZ1xQ9fHXk) was much better. It was haunting. Haley's forced growls and lack of charisma took away from that song.

But, she is a really good performer/dancer, and I think that helps. I thought Jennifer Lopez was a really good dancer (I don't know why, I'm not sure if I ever saw her dance before) but since I saw her "Dance on the Floor" (or whatever it's called) video I have definitely changed my mind. 180 degrees. And her live performance didn't help. I think her "dancing" is painful, for the most part.

victoriaheidi
05-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I think Lauren is going to finish fourth, followed by James in third. I think the final will be Haley/Scotty. I prefer Haley and would LOVE to see her as the first girl Idol since Jordin Sparks, but Scotty is a consistently good performer. So I don't know how the final will pan out.

Either way, it's a Haley/Scotty final. I'm almost sure.

BigB08822
05-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I will be SHOCKED if it is anything other than Scotty/James final. They are the only two to have never been in the bottom 2.

nerdycool
05-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Scotty was in the bottom 2 the week Casey went home. But I think half of that was because that was the week of the tornadoes and a lot of his voters were unable to watch & call in.

PrincessLeppard
05-08-2011, 03:06 AM
According to Ryan, he actually wasn't. Ryan was just sending them to safety in random order.

BigB08822
05-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Scotty was in the bottom 2 the week Casey went home. But I think half of that was because that was the week of the tornadoes and a lot of his voters were unable to watch & call in.

Ryan confirmed that he was never in the bottom 2 and that that week things were done randomly except for who was eliminated.

nerdycool
05-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Ah, missed that part! Thanks!

taf2002
05-08-2011, 04:27 AM
The last 2 wks James's vocals have been pretty weak. I think he is vulnerable. I agree with victoriaheidi, I think the finale will be Scotty & Haley.

BigB08822
05-08-2011, 04:43 AM
I think James is vulnerable to subpar performances but he is not vulnerable to criticism because the judges will not give it to him and I don't think a sub par performance will result in his elimination.

victoriaheidi
05-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I think James will be hit with the same problem Casey was last year: the top 3 week will be intentionally stacked against him by the producers' song selections. That's exactly how Casey got screwed out of a spot in the final last year (Lee DeWyze's Hallelujah, anyone?). Haley is also gaining many fans and a lot more popular support than ever before.

moebius
05-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Scotty and James for final 2! Haley growls too much like her bf Casey. She's not a performer either. I don't fancy James screaming, but at least he performs better and is more entertaining than Haley. Haley's been in the bottom 3 too many times to be in the top 2. I can't name a contestant that's finished in the top 2 and had been in the bottom 3 more times than the 3rd place finisher.