PDA

View Full Version : Canadian National Team Question

Pages : [1] 2

blue_idealist
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I just looked on the Skate Canada website list for the Canadian National team:
http://skatecanada.ca/en-us/development/nationalteam.aspx

I noticed there are four pairs and six dance teams. I know there are six dance teams because of Virtue and Moir not competing at Nationals, but why were only four pairs included instead of the usual five?

mocha-ice
05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Brodeur and Mattatal (4th in Victoria) announced their retirement not too long after Nationals. So there are only four pairs teams (SC doesn't bump up the 6th place team)

blue_idealist
05-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Brodeur and Mattatal (4th in Victoria) announced their retirement not too long after Nationals. So there are only four pairs teams (SC doesn't bump up the 6th place team)

Oh, ok, thanks. I thought they would bump up the 6th place team, but I guess I was wrong. I can't even remember who that was, actually. I also completely forgot about Brodeur and Mattatall's retirement since the skaters from the worlds were on my mind so much.

Proustable
05-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Sawyer's still on the list, though. Odd.

blue_idealist
05-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that's weird that Shawn is still on the list. I think he announced his retirement after B & M.

Sylvia
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM
National team announced today (Sawyer is still on the list): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/829/language/en-US/Default.aspx

blue_idealist
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
That's weird that Shawn is still on the list. Maybe they're thinking they can entice him into coming back? I thought he might have lost his eligible status though.

Dave of the North
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM
That's weird that Shawn is still on the list. Maybe they're thinking they can entice him into coming back? I thought he might have lost his eligible status though.

No he hasn't. He's just been on tour, I believe the same one other eligible have been on.

And given how Joey and Kevin did this year, maybe no-one wants to burn any bridges just yet.

blue_idealist
05-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I thought he might have lost his eligible status because he chose to do the tour instead of going to worlds

mag
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't think it is a problem because he wasn't a seeded skater for worlds this year.

quebecoise
05-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I thought he might have lost his eligible status because he chose to do the tour instead of going to worlds

This is why I thought too. From what I understand, if you miss an important competition and say you are not going 2-3 weeks before it(injured or not) and you do shows instead during Worlds time, you are supposed to loose it. I don't understand people who is saying Shawn hasn't lost his eligible status...can someone explain?

screech
05-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Plus, Skate Canada approved Shawn's decision to do the shows. IIRC if the skater has their federation's permission, they avoid getting 'The Plushenko'.

blue_idealist
05-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think it is a problem because he wasn't a seeded skater for worlds this year.

He came 2nd at Canadian Nats and was named to the team, then replaced by Kevin Reynolds at the last minute when he decided to skate in CSOI.. how does that make him not a seeded skater?

Really
05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
He came 2nd at Canadian Nats and was named to the team, then replaced by Kevin Reynolds at the last minute when he decided to skate in CSOI.. how does that make him not a seeded skater?He's never been top 6 in the world -- that's the definition of a 'seeded' skater.

pani
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
6 teams in ice dance? :confused:
Why not 5?
V-M last in this least. Maybe 6 teams because Skate Canada dont know will V-M skate next season or no?