PDA

View Full Version : Programs season 2011/2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

LilJen
09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
According to the golden west competition thread, P Chiddy's LP is Aranjuez... :wall:

Has he EVER skated to anything original????? . . . .

Proustable
09-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think. I'm curious enough what he does with it to avoid banging my head against a brick wall, but not enough that I avoided rolling my eyes at the news. I hope he doesn't keep it for two years, though.

kimkom
09-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Ugh, that's excactly what I was going to say. Seriously! :wall:

Judging by the number of times the :wall: has been used in this thread, I fear this may be a very long season. :lol:

Sulphur
09-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm disappointed with the decision for his LP music, but then again, I'm even more bummed out by him keeping the SP. I think he needs to have two new programs for god's sake. Ugh.

olifaunt
09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't get it. He's the record-breaking world champion and he's pretty much guaranteed to have an undefeated season if he skates anywhere near clean. Surely it would be safe for him, of all people, to experiment with programs and music choices.

kwanfan1818
09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Is Lori Nichols his choreographer?

Cherub721
09-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't get it. He's the record-breaking world champion and he's pretty much guaranteed to have an undefeated season if he skates anywhere near clean. Surely it would be safe for him, of all people, to experiment with programs and music choices.

True, but that assumes that he wants to experiment. He seems to value some aspects of PCS like his edging and transitions, but never seemed very musically expressive to me, so he may not care about trying different styles.

The Accordion
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Every skater chooses his or her battles and has strengths and things he or she values in skating. It is our choice whether to watch them and focus on their strengths or what we think are their deficiencies.

For instance Jeff Buttle is one who always seemed to choose unique music and IMO skated to every nuance within that music. He struggled more with consistency on some jumps and had very little success with the quad. Some skating fans hated that about him. I thought Jeff was a joy to watch- I loved him for his unique performance and musicality and - although I did experience nervousness watching some of his jumps - I wouldn't trade what I did love about him for better consistency - if that makes sense.

For most skaters I try to do the same - appreciate what is wonderful about them - even if they are not my favourite. Plushenko is not my favourite skater -but I appreciate so much about his athleticism, confidence, and ability to reach out to the audience - even if I don't love the choreography.

There are some skaters who IMO do seem to have it all - Takahashi when healthy (although even then he does have consistency issues) and Yagudin to name 2 men I find to be both great technicians and great performers doing wonderful choreography. Of course not everyone will agree.

Chan seems to like to skate to music that many people here find overdone - probably because he likes it. He is no Jeff Buttle with a priority of choosing unique music- skating to The Four seasons because he liked it when Lambiel skated to it, and to Phantom of the Opera and now Aranjuez. On top of that - it seems to be standard for him to keep one of his programs each season from the season before. In the meantime - this has allowed him to focus on what seems to be important to him - skating to music he enjoys, with intricate difficult choreography that allows him to achieve high levels on each of the elements, skate with great edges and difficult transitions and to work on adding jumps to his repertoire each season he is healthy enough to do so.

Not everyone has to like it and not everyone will- but it is ultimately his choice. And a choice that seems to be working out fairly well for him.

I had the opportunity to see him skate at Nationals last year and even though Phantom of the Opera is far far far from my favourite music - I was amazed by every second of his free program. It felt like an honour to see him skate that program.

And no - this is not my Canadian bias speaking. Many of my favourite skaters are from other countries and there are many Canadian skaters who are not my favourite.

luCN
09-05-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't think Aranjuez a bad idea for Chan,for me,only Kwan did perfect to the music.:hat1:but I hope he can leave Lori one day...:rolleyes:

and about keeping one program,maybe it because the financial limits,I can accept keeping take five,already much better than keep POTO....:yikes:

kwanfan1818
09-05-2011, 04:53 AM
I think that Stephane Lambiel should choreograph a program for Takahashi to Paco de Lucia's guitar cadenza from the second movement of Aranjuez. I expect Lori Nichol to use the same old/same old arrangement.

About Kwan's Aranjuez, a few finger snaps and arm movements while skating on two feet and attempting sultry face is not choreography, IMO. What was special about her 2003 Worlds performance was the momentum, watching her skate patiently and hit jump after jump and keep building until she hit the footwork.

VarBar
09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
For instance Jeff Buttle is one who always seemed to choose unique music and IMO skated to every nuance within that music. He struggled more with consistency on some jumps and had very little success with the quad. Some skating fans hated that about him. I thought Jeff was a joy to watch- I loved him for his unique performance and musicality and - although I did experience nervousness watching some of his jumps - I wouldn't trade what I did love about him for better consistency - if that makes sense.

Chan seems to like to skate to music that many people here find overdone - probably because he likes it. He is no Jeff Buttle with a priority of choosing unique music- skating to The Four seasons because he liked it when Lambiel skated to it, and to Phantom of the Opera and now Aranjuez. On top of that - it seems to be standard for him to keep one of his programs each season from the season before. In the meantime - this has allowed him to focus on what seems to be important to him - skating to music he enjoys, with intricate difficult choreography that allows him to achieve high levels on each of the elements, skate with great edges and difficult transitions and to work on adding jumps to his repertoire each season he is healthy enough to do so.

@ The Accordion.

I am not sure I would trade Patrick Chan's fabulous skating skills and athletic ability for Jeffrey Buttle's musicality and original music choices. Whenever I feel like seeing a great performer on ice, it never crosses my mind to pick Jeffrey to entertain me but Yagudin or Browning or Takahashi. By contrast, whenever I want to see an efortless quality of skating that nears perfection, I do go to Patrick Chan of all skaters I know, no matter the music he skates to. My point is that I find watching Patrick far more worth my while than watching Jeffrey - if that makes sense.

gkelly
09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
It's part of a "Spanish" medley rather than the whole program, but the middle section of this program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IryPxjUIKd8) is what comes to my mind as a strong use of the Concierto de Aranjuez.

dinakt
09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
sorry, deleted. Was veering off-topic.

carignan
09-05-2011, 05:32 PM
This is another Aranjuez choreographed by Lori. He was a wonderful performer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1AjoD1oMw
Probably Patrick's Aranjuez will be pretty different from this.

reut
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Alena Leonova

LP "Requiem for a dream"

From this interview (http://sport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20110904/429883475.html) (Russian) her exact music for LP is:
"Аdagio for strings" by Samuel Barber
"Requiem For A Tower" (theme of "Requiem for a dream" which was used in "Lord of the Rings")

performed by "Escala" quartet.

And in this interview (http://news.sport-express.ru/2011-09-03/460118/) (Russian) Volosozhar officially confirmed they use "Black Swan" for their LP.