PDA

View Full Version : Programs season 2011/2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

cholla
08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
But why Lara Fabian :blah: ? It's a beautiful song by Serge Lama!

He's still alive right ? I'd sue Lara Fabian if I was him :scream::lol:

Allen
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Please.

Chaplin was full of voids, suitably over-the-top and in character throughout.

Dr Zhivago was really passionate and elegant.

Too sophisticated for some, I guess. :P

Chaplin wasn't one of my favorite programs of theirs, but I agree that it was definitely in character.

I also agree that Dr. Zhivago was very elegant and I liked the music for the Golden Waltz.

Do I like some of their more esoteric programs more, yes, I do, but I think the point may be that the judges seem to respond more positively to programs like the ones they used last year. Unfortunately, it seems that the judges only like a narrow genere of music/choreography. When I think back to the early 90s in dance, there was such variety. I know that a lot of the changes have to do with the rules and especially this BS rule about uplifting music. However, there is tons of non-generic, "uplifting" music out there.

kirkbiggestfan
08-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Doesn`t he get royalties from her? The price to pay to get your songs butchered.
There is also a version by Dalida. That would have been more uplifting!!!

Wyliefan
08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I didn't mean for it to be so harsh but I always found her to be much more serious and stoic as a performer. Something like Phantom worked for them. Bollywood was a great program but I felt as though she lacked the expression to go along with it.

Corpses don't generally perform seriously and stoically. They tend to just lie still and rot.

kimkom
08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Was is the Serge Lama version that Plushenko skated his exhibition to last year? That was fabulous!

Libertango
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Doesn`t he get royalties from her? The price to pay to get your songs butchered.
There is also a version by Dalida. That would have been more uplifting!!!

Ok so I've just listened to Lara Fabian's version and I can sort of see why they would pick, it's a little more suited to be danced on.

But no way in hell are the lyrics uplifting! Here's an english translation (http://lyricstranslate.com/en/je-suis-malade-im-ill.html).

equatorial
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM

And if I were Jacques Brel and alive in 1971, I would've sued Lama for copying me slavishly :P This doesn't excuse that Fabian wench though :lol:

kirkbiggestfan
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Ok so I've just listened to Lara Fabian's version and I can sort of see why they would pick, it's a little more suited to be danced on.

But no way in hell are the lyrics uplifting! Here's an english translation (http://lyricstranslate.com/en/je-suis-malade-im-ill.html).

Yes, that puts you in suicide mode instantly. I can`t imagine having to listen to it every day during practice.

skatingfan04
08-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Evidently I'm the minority here, but I just listened to the Lara Fabian version of "Je Suis Malade" and loved it. It has a haunting quality to it, and I think it is SO them. I think they'll really pull this one off. Above all, I'm relieved that the FD isn't to La Strada. While its one of my favouite scores ever, I don't think I could have handled Weaver & Poje skating to yet another movie theme.

dinakt
08-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Evidently I'm the minority here, but I just listened to the Lara Fabian version of "Je Suis Malade" and loved it. It has a haunting quality to it, and I think it is SO them. I think they'll really pull this one off. Above all, I'm relieved that the FD isn't to La Strada. While its one of my favouite scores ever, I don't think I could have handled Weaver & Poje skating to yet another movie theme.

I personally much prefer Dalida's version. Lama's version is also wonderful (though it does sound like he imitates Brel a bit). Fabian's version, though beautiful, leans too much towards Celine Dion for my taste. Still, gorgeous song, Fabian sings it well, and I think the music is a great choice for W/P.

allezfred
08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
The movie is sooooo different from the happy clappy interpretation given by most skaters.

Yeah, I guess if any of the skaters watched the original film they just ignored the entire story. :shuffle:

News from Weaver-Poje:
http://www.weaverpoje.com/news/

Translation: "I am sick." How appropriate. :scream:

Nmsis
08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
But why Lara Fabian :blah: ?
Whenever Lara Fabian is mentionned, I can't help but think of a sketch from the Guignols : Incredible Lara ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AhaLWGOG8w)
Or how Lara Fabian has been exposed too young to an overdose of Barbra Streisand and now, when she goes on stage, she tranforms into Incredible Lara, who breaks glass when she shou ... err sings. :rofl:

Nah, if you want a canadian who sings a huge classique of the chanson française, you take Avec le Temps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhX8OJJC5pY) or Ma Fille (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6afORTmIo) by Isabelle Boulay. Ferré or Reggiani, I can't help but cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :wuzrobbed And Boulay is a good interpreter. But Incredible Lara ? :shuffle:

Was is the Serge Lama version that Plushenko skated his exhibition to last year?
Yes, that's the one.

Yes, that puts you in suicide mode instantly.
Problem is, they don't exactly look like lovesick, desperate people in self-destructive mode but more like an ad for toothpaste. :shuffle:

olifaunt
08-03-2011, 02:24 AM
I really like W/P and I like that music. :)

Gotta say that the uplifting rule is bizarre. I am pretty sure it was around last year and it looked like quite a few people kind of ignored it (like Crone/Poirier and their Eleanor Rigby.)

plushenkofan
08-03-2011, 03:44 AM
I really like W/P and I like that music. :)

Gotta say that the uplifting rule is bizarre. I am pretty sure it was around last year and it looked like quite a few people kind of ignored it (like Crone/Poirier and their Eleanor Rigby.)

I agree. I would like to see more dramatic programs in ice dance like we had a few years ago:40beers:

operagirl
08-03-2011, 06:16 AM
I'd like to see Meryl & Charlie skate to Carmina Burana or Firebird. I think with their power, they could do something incredible with that kind of music. But that's just me.