PDA

View Full Version : Programs season 2011/2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

Coco
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Do we know what Moskvina's teams are skating to? In other words, what is Zhulin working with?

mia joy
08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I actually wish I liked them more. Natalie is easily the most charismatic female ice dancer out there and Fabian is sex on a stick. But I just don't warm to their programs.

This is so true. They're probably the most goodlooking ice dance team out there and their skating is wonderfully mature, but their clowns, clocks and Chaplins never fail to successfully hide it.

Ziggy, if you liked those programs, the only one with bad taste is you :P

Meryl, on the other hand, IS playful and light and lovely. She's a nymph on the ice. But that doesn't change that La Strada is a terrible choice. Not because of the playfulness, but because the music is just terribly boring and I just can't imagine an exciting FD with it.
Where the hell has their old style gone? It's like someone took their energy, joyfulness and dramatism, put it in a cage and forbid them to use it again. They either need a coaching change or a serious help with defining the direction they're pushing their career into.

marbri
08-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Or maybe you need to see their programs before freaking out.

escaflowne9282
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Meryl, on the other hand, IS playful and light and lovely. She's a nymph on the ice. .

IMHO Meryl Davis is a corpse . I see nothing playful or light in either the way she moves or expresses herself. Even the Bollywood program, which I liked, seemed to lack any real understanding of music on her part. To each their own I guess.

Ziggy
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Please.

Chaplin was full of voids, suitably over-the-top and in character throughout.

Dr Zhivago was really passionate and elegant.

Both of those programs were full of character and mature expression.

Too sophisticated for some, I guess. :P

Meryl, on the other hand, IS playful and light and lovely. She's a nymph on the ice.

She is a nymph, ergo she isn't playful. The best word to describe her would be aloof.

iris81
08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
News from Weaver-Poje:
http://www.weaverpoje.com/news/

Kaitlyn & Andrew have announced that their free dance music will be “Je Suis Malade” by Lara Fabian. The music is a special arrangement by Karl Hugo.

Zemgirl
08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
This is so true. They're probably the most goodlooking ice dance team out there and their skating is wonderfully mature, but their clowns, clocks and Chaplins never fail to successfully hide it.

What I like about P/B is that they try new things and interesting concepts*. Not everything works, but even when they miss, it's generally more interesting than the generic programs too many teams have.

* I'll allow that Chaplin was something of a Circus rehash with improved technique.

Meryl, on the other hand, IS playful and light and lovely. She's a nymph on the ice. But that doesn't change that La Strada is a terrible choice. Not because of the playfulness, but because the music is just terribly boring and I just can't imagine an exciting FD with it.
Meryl and Charlie, utilizing their excellent speed, skate directly through the music in just about every program they do. I know they've tried to improve their expression and connection, but I'm not seeing much improvement. Obviously they have their strong points, but IMO, they're given credit for things that are really not their forte. I don't see how La Strada will play to their strengths, but I expect the judges to score it like the fabulous work of art it likely won't be.

Japanfan
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Meryl and Charlie, utilizing their excellent speed, skate directly through the music in just about every program they do. I know they've tried to improve their expression and connection, but I'm not seeing much improvement. Obviously they have their strong points, but IMO, they're given credit for things that are really not their forte. I don't see how La Strada will play to their strengths, but I expect the judges to score it like the fabulous work of art it likely won't be.

Musicality isn't their strong point IMO and it's hard to interpret La Strada well if you are not musical. But I could be biased because I particularly love that music and as a Fellini fan, it always brings the film La Strada to mind. When Takahashi skated it so brilliantly, I imagined Fellini smiling in heaven. Seeing skaters use him music would have delighted him to no end.

Meryl and Charlie are strong skaters with great basics and usually manage to create at least a superficial impression of musicality. It was obvious in this year's tango LP, which just didn't have the feel of the tango although it somewhat had the look. Less obvious in Phantom of the Paradise - IMO Phantom is so popular because it is relatively easy music in terms of skateability.

Wyliefan
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Or maybe you need to see their programs before freaking out.

The voice of reason. Thank you.

Less obvious in Phantom of the Paradise - IMO Phantom is so popular because it is relatively easy music in terms of skateability.

If they'd skated to Phantom of the Paradise, it would have been a VERY different program. :) (Though I suppose some would have considered it voidy . . . )

mia joy
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Both of those programs were full of character and mature expression.

Too sophisticated for some, I guess. :P

yes, mature expression they have, I never denied it. But sometimes it's hard to notice the maturity when he pretends to be a clock or they both play clowns instead of using their wonderful potential to pull off some elegance they could so easily have.

Less obvious in Phantom of the Paradise - IMO Phantom is so popular because it is relatively easy music in terms of skateability.

And such oppinions are exactly what IMO makes Meryl and Charlie go for music that totally doesn't suit them, like La Strada. I wish people would either stop complaining about them chosing the easy music or about them chosing sth they can't handle :rolleyes:

~tapdancer~
08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
IMHO Meryl Davis is a corpse . I see nothing playful or light in either the way she moves or expresses herself. Even the Bollywood program, which I liked, seemed to lack any real understanding of music on her part. To each their own I guess.

To each their own, maybe, but damn that's harsh. Let's just say I don't agree with your assessment there. At all.

And sorry you're disappointed in Meryl and Charlie's music choice, mia, but let's wait and see, okay? And of course, folks around here are going to complain about skaters' choices, the differences in opinions are obviously what makes FSU go round.

dinakt
08-02-2011, 02:04 PM
News from Weaver-Poje:

I think they'll do FAB with that music.
Sometime before next Olympics they should try classical, just for kicks. W/P seem to veer towards pop. But still, I love their choice ( and them!)

kirkbiggestfan
08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
News from Weaver-Poje:

A French song..where are the worlds again this year? :lol:

escaflowne9282
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
To each their own, maybe, but damn that's harsh. Let's just say I don't agree with your assessment there. At all.
I didn't mean for it to be so harsh but I always found her to be much more serious and stoic as a performer. Something like Phantom worked for them. Bollywood was a great program but I felt as though she lacked the expression to go along with it.

Libertango
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
A French song..where are the worlds again this year? :lol:

But why Lara Fabian :blah: ? It's a beautiful song by Serge Lama!
I'm not holding my breath for this program but I'm curious about their "special arrangement" of the music. I hope it's not going to be a mix of sentences thrown randomly like Virtue & Moir's Umbrellas of Cherbourg.