PDA

View Full Version : Programs season 2011/2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

Jenna
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Evora/Ladwig are bringing back their free skate from the 2007-2008 season? :confused:

Oh, I forgot they skated to these pieces before!

Here is the FS from 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbObNnl7rzM&feature=channel_video_title

julieann
07-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Evora/Ladwig are bringing back their free skate from the 2007-2008 season? :confused: Not complaining because I love that music and they didn't skate the program to its potential at Nats, but I'm just surprised because they've never recycled programs before.

Oh, I forgot they skated to these pieces before!

Here is the FS from 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbObNnl7rzM&feature=channel_video_title

They could just be reusing the music with all new choreography, wouldn't be unheard of.

missysays
07-28-2011, 10:47 PM
:wall:

I agree 100% with your reaction to D/W's La Strada FD choice.

As usual they seem to have good SD music but their FD is going to be really hard for them to pull off.

La Strada- Whyyyyyyy?!!!!! :rolleyes:That music is really difficult to skate to- needs a lot of personality to control the performance to it and rise above it. It's sort of difficult in the way that Slaughter on Tenth Avenue is difficult to skate to. The music is loaded with an old fashioned kind of character with complicated bits that must be interpreted with overt personality. And I'm sorry- they don't have very natural extroverted personalities out there on the ice. They're good at pure abandon and drama and light good spirited pieces- but music that has a dual nature both comedy/tragedy that is inherent in the La Strada story is hard to pull off together and so many people have used it and it's a very low brow sort of package.

Why do they shoot themselves in the foot like this... Ahhhhh- this is no way to solidify themselves as World Champions. It's going to be hard for them to really forge a new unique path for themselves and set themselves up above their competition.

They seem to have zero ability to really set a high bar in packaging themselves well. They did the same with Charlie's selection of POTO and the tangos last year. I know they went on to win Silver at the Olympics and the World Championship last year- but they were helped by circumstances in both cases. Why must they always start behind the eight ball and then work hard to make lemonade out of lemons. If they started with a better musical selection and package they would be out well in front of the pack!!! The way they were with the Samson and Delilah FD.

Gahhhhh!!! So frustrated. I don't have to wait and see the FD to know it's going to one of those programs that will be a struggle to grow all season long.

Sigh- I'm angry because I'm such a big fan and I can see the potential for real cutting edge artistry with them but they are so conservative in their musical choices. It's always a retread of someone else's first steps. They could be so much better than that.

millipied
07-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Volosazhar/Trankov
SP- Bring me to Life
LP-Black Swan

Bazarova/Larionov
SP-Jesus Christ Superstar
LP-Tosca

burntBREAD
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I agree 100% with your reaction to D/W's La Strada FD choice.

As usual they seem to have good SD music but their FD is going to be really hard for them to pull off.

La Strada- Whyyyyyyy?!!!!! :rolleyes:That music is really difficult to skate to- needs a lot of personality to control the performance to it and rise above it. It's sort of difficult in the way that Slaughter on Tenth Avenue is difficult to skate to. The music is loaded with an old fashioned kind of character with complicated bits that must be interpreted with overt personality. And I'm sorry- they don't have very natural extroverted personalities out there on the ice. They're good at pure abandon and drama and light good spirited pieces- but music that has a dual nature both comedy/tragedy that is inherent in the La Strada story is hard to pull off together and so many people have used it and it's a very low brow sort of package.

Why do they shoot themselves in the foot like this... Ahhhhh- this is no way to solidify themselves as World Champions. It's going to be hard for them to really forge a new unique path for themselves and set themselves up above their competition.

They seem to have zero ability to really set a high bar in packaging themselves well. They did the same with Charlie's selection of POTO and the tangos last year. I know they went on to win Silver at the Olympics and the World Championship last year- but they were helped by circumstances in both cases. Why must they always start behind the eight ball and then work hard to make lemonade out of lemons. If they started with a better musical selection and package they would be out well in front of the pack!!! The way they were with the Samson and Delilah FD.

Gahhhhh!!! So frustrated. I don't have to wait and see the FD to know it's going to one of those programs that will be a struggle to grow all season long.

Sigh- I'm angry because I'm such a big fan and I can see the potential for real cutting edge artistry with them but they are so conservative in their musical choices. It's always a retread of someone else's first steps. They could be so much better than that.

I don't know, I really enjoyed their Bollywood OD... I'm still sad ODs are gone...

julieann
07-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Volosazhar/Trankov
SP- Bring me to Life
LP-Black Swan

Hopefully they will be the only pair to skate to Black Swan.

Bazarova/Larionov
SP-Jesus Christ Superstar
LP-Tosca

Meh, boring, I was hoping for better song choices with a new choreographer. Kind of excited to see what they do with JCS.

chipso1
07-29-2011, 12:17 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think "La Strada" could be the perfect vehicle for Davis & White this year. Lot's of changes in tempo, with lighthearted and more dramatic segments. It should be much different than Samson & Delilah, Phantom, and their tango. Good to see them still branching out (style-wise, not necessarily music-wise)! :)

~tapdancer~
07-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think "La Strada" could be the perfect vehicle for Davis & White this year. Lot's of changes in tempo, with lighthearted and more dramatic segments. It should be much different than Samson & Delilah, Phantom, and their tango. Good to see them still branching out (style-wise, not necessarily music-wise)! :)

Thanks for that! I feel the same way. I rarely have issues with any skaters choice of music and I especially rarely have issues with Meryl and Charlie's choices but I think La Strada is a great choice. Because they are continuing to challenge themselves and it wasn't that long ago they were criticized on here for using "bombastic" music and not stretching artistically. I think they have addressed that issue just fine and I applaud them for continuing to "work without a net".

And "La Strada" may be a well-used choice but for them, it is different. My first thought was thinking about Rahkamo/Kokko's FD and trying to imagine D/W in that style. Wasn't exactly working for me especially comparing Susanna and Meryl...two completely different types. But then I thought about the music...the whimsical parts and the fast, dramatic parts and I started getting excited thinking about what Meryl and Charlie will do with that. Looking forward to seeing it.

Also, love the idea of Egyptian music, can't quite picture Fabian as Egyptian but I can't wait to see what they come up with, too! If I can love Charlie in an Indian dance, I can give Fabian the benefit of the doubt. :)

dramagrrl
07-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Annnnnd Igor Shpilband continues in his streak of amazingly creative musical choices. :rolleyes:

skatingfan04
07-29-2011, 01:35 AM
La Strada scares me. It is a beautiful piece of music, one of my favourites, and the fact that it is used so often really doesn't bother me. My concern is that a piece like this requires a delicate touch and a sense of romance that Davis and White have yet to display (IMO). Their lack of truly convincing chemistry was, for me, evident in the tango that they skated this year, in spite of how lovely the piece itself was. I LOVE so many things abour these two, and I REALLY hope that they prove me wrong. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jenna
07-29-2011, 01:43 AM

No, you're not! I completely agree that La Strada suits them really, really well.

marbri
07-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I think La Strada will be a walk in the park for D&W, can already picture the choreography.

casken
07-29-2011, 01:51 AM
I think La Strada will be a walk in the park for D&W, can already picture the choreography.

Well it is Shpilband, so yeah.

Don't expect any surprises.

marbri
07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
It's not just Shpilband, the music choreographs itself. It's not a challenging piece that is open to varied interpretation imo.

reese
07-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I love Davis and White, but they don't have romantic or sexy chemistry anymore. I think they used to have it (Samson and Delilah was crazy soft romantic) but I think a lot (all?) of that went away when Charlie got together with Tanith. I don't mean to start anything with that statement; just an honest observation.

La Strada is such an unoriginal choice. I don't even care if it works for them in theory compared to other overused music of the skating world, it just makes me mad for it's laziness. Try something new!