PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na says she may skip GP this season

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

IceJunkie
05-03-2011, 06:31 AM
I think we've seen the last of Yu-na in competition. Honestly, I think it would be hard for anyone to find the motivation to keep on training at such a high level when you have millions and are Olympic/World champ. She might be chasing history, but I think she is tired.

Sasha'sSpins
05-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Darn-I hope she competes. She was missed this past season.

Jammers
05-03-2011, 07:00 AM
I think Yuna is like Britney Spears in that they both look miserable trying to recall past glorys but obviously don't want to be doing what they are doing anymore. They both need to retire. Only difference is Yuna had talent.

ainouta
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
I think Yuna is like Britney Spears in that they both look miserable trying to recall past glorys but obviously don't want to be doing what they are doing anymore. They both need to retire. Only difference is Yuna had talent.

While this is a bit :(, the comparison is truly :rofl:

ehdtkqorl123
05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Yu-Na looks miserable to you only because perhaps you completely misunderstand the meaning of her tears.

Frau Muller
05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
..... I want to see Yuna compete as long as she can, because she is a once-in-a lifetime talent.

And now we can see Yu-Na compete 'forever' in Speedy & Scott's (S&S?) new "ICE Cup" Pro-Am. Leaving eligible skating no longer means "no more competition" for Yu-Na and other Worlds & Oly medalists who want to move on.

I'm now very supportive of the ICE Cup, as it seems to be designed as a new version of the old Landover World Pros...but a Pro-Am instead (like Landover Dec 1998 edition). It's great that they're limiting it to skaters who have won at least one medal at a Worlds or Olympics, thus limiting 'national faves' who have not quite made podium. You have to draw the line somewhere and this seems fair. I truly hope that ICE will include all 4 major disciplines - men, ladies, dance and pairs.

briancoogaert
05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
The problem is probably not only that she lost 2 World title in a row, but each time, it was so close and for stupid things. last season, she lost because of a stupid spin (and spiral, WTF ?). And this season, a single Flip ? It's even more difficult to accept when the fault is up to you.
She is amazing and we need her in competitions, because she is still the best "skater" out there. She and Carolina Kostner know how to glide !

miki88
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't say Britney didn't have talent. I did like young Britney. :)

Anyways, I just think if Kim really wanted to win, it would've been wise to attend at least one competition before Worlds. Even someone as consistent as Kwan competed at Nationals before Worlds.

aliceanne
05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
:
Maybe she can go on a vacation together with Mao, Mai and Kanako (read somewhere that Mao is planning on vacationing with Mai and Kanako). Four beautiful young ladies on holiday together :)!!

:lol::lol::rollin: I'm picturing the bots

Copper
05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
The problem is probably not only that she lost 2 World title in a row, but each time, it was so close and for stupid things. last season, she lost because of a stupid spin (and spiral, WTF ?). And this season, a single Flip ? It's even more difficult to accept when the fault is up to you.
She is amazing and we need her in competitions, because she is still the best "skater" out there. She and Carolina Kostner know how to glide !

I totally agree. It was really frustrating to watch.

euterpe
05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
The most frustrating thing is that the Korean fed will probably submit Yu-Na's name for the GP and she will get two assignments. And then, of course, she will withdraw sometime in August or September, and her spots will be filled with leftovers.

The hosts know this, and no doubt some will pick Kim knowing they can replace her with a far inferior skater, thus setting up that host's best skater for a medal.

Ziggy
05-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Yuna looked extremely miserable and skated like a deer in the headlights at Worlds.

She's an exceptional talent but it looked like her heart wasn't in it any more (Jammers' Britney comparison was spot on, only fortunately Yuna isn't suffering from a mental illness :P).

I expect she's going to retire now.

The most frustrating thing is that the Korean fed will probably submit Yu-Na's name for the GP and she will get two assignments. And then, of course, she will withdraw sometime in August or September, and her spots will be filled with leftovers.

The hosts know this, and no doubt some will pick Kim knowing they can replace her with a far inferior skater, thus setting up that host's best skater for a medal.

Nope, there are new substitution rules.

Check the GP dates thread.

overedge
05-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Yu-Na looks miserable to you only because perhaps you completely misunderstand the meaning of her tears.

And you have a better understanding of them how, exactly?

Jammers
05-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Yeah i know comparing Yuna to Britney was :rofl:. LOL

euterpe
05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Nope, there are new substitution rules.

Check the GP dates thread.

Yes, I know they can give the spots to other seeds. But if both Ando and Kim withdraw, there are only 4 seeds left to fill 4 spots, and in that could mean a seed competing in 3 events in a row. Who is to say these skaters WANT to do 3 GP events? For example, Kostner is not at her best in the GP and she is still recovering from injury. I can't see her doing 3 GP events. I doubt Asada would want to do it either. That leaves Czisny and Leonova.

Then there's the fact the 2010-2011 season has gone a month over schedule, which gives them less time to rest and recover before they start training for next season. Asking top skaters to do 3 events is a bit much on top of that.