PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na says she may skip GP this season

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

aliceanne
05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!

Nothing against Tara, but she isn't exactly a skating legend. Many people view her as footnote in skating history. So I don't think her strategy of grabbing the gold and quiting paid off in either fame or fortune.

I think Michelle is better known because people have simply seen more of her. I think she is better off with her bronze and silver than Tara with her gold.

Cheylana
05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Nothing against Tara, but she isn't exactly a skating legend. Many people view her as footnote in skating history. So I don't think her strategy of grabbing the gold and quiting paid off in either fame or fortune.
Don't know about fame but Tara made a lot of money off her OGM. She probably didn't make as much as MK at the end of the day (thanks in part to her career-ending hip injury), but she did well for herself.

I think Michelle is better known because people have simply seen more of her. I think she is better off with her bronze and silver than Tara with her gold.
Not for nothing, but I was playing a Family Feud game online recently, and the question "name a famous figure skater" came up. As a longtime MK fan, I excitedly typed in "Michelle Kwan" and got the dreaded red X. Meanwhile, Tara made the list. :shuffle:

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
With all due respect to Michelle...it's Tara (and Sarah) who will forever be enshrined in the highest of shrines in ladies figure skating -- Olympic Gold Medalist. El Ultimito...A-1 goal. Shizuka, like Tara, retired at the tippy-top of the pedestal. Ditto Oksana.

JerseySlore
05-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Can someone in Korea comment, does she have a future in show business? That seems to be the direction she wants to go. She'll be 21 soon, is that the age in Korea where she can make her own business decisions? I look for her to break out ala Michelle Kwan.

If she wants one. She's already signed to host a prime time reality show set to start later this month.

skateboy
05-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds.

Let's not knock her down TOO many pegs: she placed 2nd at Nats (her highest placement there ever) and got 6th at Worlds.

aliceanne
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not the most objective source, but I just don't see a silver medal as a big tragedy. She will always be an Olympic gold medalist.

As far as Tara is concerned, she needs to be out there coaching some of those women. She would get the unmotivated motivated in a hurry! Good commentator.

Lilith11
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
O.o She looked miserable in the gala because she took some painkiller med for her ankle and her body just had a bad reaction to it. And she's stated in interviews that she's feeling stronger now soooo...

ponta1
05-03-2011, 12:01 AM
poor Yu Na, she really needs an holiday! take her time off, and come back when she feels..whether it'll be next 4CC or later in 2012/13.

and...coming back after a year to won a silver medal was indeed great, despite she wasn't the skater of Vancouver, but it'd have been also very difficult to come back as that so late in the season

Maybe she can go on a vacation together with Mao, Mai and Kanako (read somewhere that Mao is planning on vacationing with Mai and Kanako). Four beautiful young ladies on holiday together :)!!

riveredge
05-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Im quiet happy w/ Yuna's silver, like what she said she's satisfied w/ the result. Heck, even getting a medal at the World championship is already an accomplishment after being sidelined for 13 months. :)

But the girl needs a long break, minus the off ice drama.

Copper
05-03-2011, 02:24 AM
With all due respect to Michelle...it's Tara (and Sarah) who will forever be enshrined in the highest of shrines in ladies figure skating -- Olympic Gold Medalist. El Ultimito...A-1 goal. Shizuka, like Tara, retired at the tippy-top of the pedestal. Ditto Oksana.

Brian Boitano ended his (re-established) amateur career being 6th at the Olympics, but that doesn't make him any less great champion. He is a legend and a great Olympic champion. It doesn't matter he was 6th or 10th, etc. Once you obtain a legendary status, you are a legend no matter when you retire.

Lilith11
05-03-2011, 02:41 AM
From an interview done in Moscow, credit to lakewood for translating: "Even I don't know. I need time to think."

Thus far, Yu-na hasn't committed to anything, not even to competitive-ness next year. Korean articles are judging and thus inserting their own opinion/wishes that she will skate next year but nothing's definite as of yet. I expect Team Yu-na will have a press conference when she decides or at least release a public statement independent of an interview.

Anyways, slightly OT but from the same interview (credit to lakewood@YNKF) on the Russian babies in regards to if she wants to compete w/them: "No way. Thank God I was born early and don't have to."

XD

Cheylana
05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!
If Sarah's medal was tarnished, it was only because the season following her big Olympic win proved that her OGM was a fluke. Props to her for having the skate of her life when it counted, but she never won any major competition leading up to SLC (I don't think Skate Canada counts), and never came close to winning anything afterward. She then followed that up with her brilliant Stars on Ice stint, where the girl known for her 3-3s traveled the US barely eking out doubles. :shuffle:

YuNa, on the other hand, had lots of victories - including a World Championship - leading up to Vancouver. Sure it would be nice to go out on the highest possible note, but regardless, I think most people think of her as a great champion and nobody thinks of her OGM as a fluke.

riveredge
05-03-2011, 03:02 AM
From an interview done in Moscow, credit to lakewood for translating: "Even I don't know. I need time to think."

Thus far, Yu-na hasn't committed to anything, not even to competitive-ness next year. Korean articles are judging and thus inserting their own opinion/wishes that she will skate next year but nothing's definite as of yet. I expect Team Yu-na will have a press conference when she decides or at least release a public statement independent of an interview.

Anyways, slightly OT but from the same interview (credit to lakewood@YNKF) on the Russian babies in regards to if she wants to compete w/them: "No way. Thank God I was born early and don't have to."

XD

:lol:

Angela-Fan
05-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Not for nothing, but I was playing a Family Feud game online recently, and the question "name a famous figure skater" came up. As a longtime MK fan, I excitedly typed in "Michelle Kwan" and got the dreaded red X. Meanwhile, Tara made the list. :shuffle:

:shuffle:

:lol:

Shaia
05-03-2011, 05:47 AM
[In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.

Oh boy.. I am so agitated by these posts. "Grabbing the Olympic Gold and then quitting" may make sense if (i) you are too old to go on or (ii) you know you don't have the talent or skills to consistently perform to be on top and your OGM win was largely a result of others failing. In Yuna's case, clearly, neither applies. She is only 20 years old, and she is, by a wide consensus, the best skater in the world. And I personally think that such a "hit-and-run" approach is not good for the sport.

Of course, if her heart is not in it, she has every right to quit at anytime, but as a skating fan, I want to see Yuna compete as long as she can, because she is a once-in-a lifetime talent.