PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na says she may skip GP this season

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

miki88
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Yu-Na will skip everything except for Worlds again, and I don't think we'll see her at her best until maybe 2014.

I dunno. It certainly didn't seem like a smart strategy this time around and it's going to be more competitive once the Russian juniors come into scene.

AndyWarhol
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I recommend French Alps and/or Province region to Yuna.
Paris has many incredible monuments, but I couldn't stand stinky metro stations and bad service.

Bad service in paris? I have always found the french to be delightful.

briancoogaert
05-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm afraid, because IMO, Miki won here because she was the clear leader this season. Judges could have put YuNa in 1st if they wanted to. But I think the difference was made because Miki competed this whole season.
If YuNa wants to win again, she needs to compete in the GP.

shah
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm afraid, because IMO, Miki won here because she was the clear leader this season. Judges could have put YuNa in 1st if they wanted to. But I think the difference was made because Miki competed this whole season.
If YuNa wants to win again, she needs to compete in the GP.

well, not necessarily. Yu Na won the sp with a visible mistake over clean Miki (not by a big margin, but still) and if it hadn't been for two pops (toe in combo and flip), she would have certainly won the free. her PCS exceeded Miki's by 2,5 points. it was the technical score that dropped her to second place...

anyway, I want to have a healthy and happy Yu Na on ice, because in Moscow she looked absolutely miserable/tired.
skipping GP may be beneficial to her health, but it would be better to start with 4 CC next season, not with the Worlds.

aliceanne
05-02-2011, 06:52 PM
well, not necessarily. Yu Na won the sp with a visible mistake over clean Miki (not by a big margin, but still) and if it hadn't been for two pops (toe in combo and flip), she would have certainly won the free. her PCS exceeded Miki's by 2,5 points. it was the technical score that dropped her to second place...

anyway, I want to have a healthy and happy Yu Na on ice, because in Moscow she looked absolutely miserable/tired.
skipping GP may be beneficial to her health, but it would be better to start with 4 CC next season, not with the Worlds.

I don't think Yuna wants to compete anymore. I think her federation and her "team" need her to. She said at both 2010 and 2011 Worlds that she had trouble finding the motivation to train, and that's the first time I've seen someone cry on the medal stand because they didn't come in first. She's definitely not in it for the joy of skating no matter what David Wilson says.

I agree that Mikki got the benefit of the doubt because she had been competing all season and was the clear winner.

millipied
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
That performance of hers at the Worlds Gala did not look like someone's who enoys skating anymore.

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Me too. This was it for Yu-Na in eligible skating. IMO, the new ISU-Scott Hamilton "ICE Cup" pro-am seems to have been tailor-made for Yu-Na. She'll probably spend the next 6 years competing against Sasha Cohen for the ICE Cup.

aliceanne
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Can someone in Korea comment, does she have a future in show business? That seems to be the direction she wants to go. She'll be 21 soon, is that the age in Korea where she can make her own business decisions? I look for her to break out ala Michelle Kwan.

modern_muslimah
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I think she should retire from competitive skating. Her heart doesn't seem into it anymore. Her programs, especially her LP, were lovely and I would love to see them performed at high level. But if her heart isn't into competing anymore then she's going to continue to give performances like those she gave at the last two Worlds. Plus, I wonder if judges will eventually get tired of it and bring down her PCS.

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Tara Lipinsky said it well at the end of the Univ Sports telecast of the Ladies finals last Saturday -- in essence, Tara said that Yu-Na was the big loser of the day, despite the bronze. "Yu-Na Kim, the Olympics champion, has now competed in two Worlds since her Olympics and come up short in both. She may have wished that she had retired after having achieved her ultimate goal." [In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.

Lookingood
05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Go Yuna! go for the Kween's Record 9 Straight medals at worlds.

Copper
05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Everyone has different values in life. Maybe in Tara's mind, winning the title was the ultimate goal, which may not be true for Yu-Na. If Yu-Na's goal is winning, then yeah, she made a mistake not to have retired. But, if she has some other values in skating, let her skate. Her presence doesn't hurt the sport. In the end, it is her life. What's the problem?

aliceanne
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Tara Lipinsky said it well at the end of the Univ Sports telecast of the Ladies finals last Saturday -- in essence, Tara said that Yu-Na was the big loser of the day, despite the bronze. "Yu-Na Kim, the Olympics champion, has now competed in two Worlds since her Olympics and come up short in both. She may have wished that she had retired after having achieved her ultimate goal." [In other words, Tara was subtly saying that Yu-Na should have done as she did in 1998 -- grap the Olympic Gold and quit, to retain the mystique and queenly glory that goes with being an Oly gold medalist.] Tara was absolutely correct, IMO.

I disagree. I don't think 2 silver medals have tarnished her image or accomplishments. I think she felt an obligation to her federation, sponsors, and supporters to compete after the Olympics, something for which Tara was criticized for not doing.

Tara loves to compete, I suspect she was forced to retire because of her hip. Yuna's heart seems to be in performing.

orbitz
05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
That performance of hers at the Worlds Gala did not look like someone's who enoys skating anymore.

Well Yu-Na just lost her second World title in a row and was balling her eyes out on the podium stand. It's understandable if her heart wasn't into performing at the gaga exhibition. Give her some time away from this event to reflect on how she feels about competing.

Frau Muller
05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Well Yu-Na just lost her second World title in a row and was balling her eyes out on the podium stand. .....

Absolutely. In marketing circles, you're either at the top or you're not. If that's what matters to her and/or her mom, she should have left eligible skating after Vancouver...do as Tara did.

Just look at what happened to Sarah Hughes...Oly champ who was 3rd or 4th at the next US Natls and 7th or 8th in Worlds. Even though Sarah will always remain the 2002 Oly champ, the medal was 'tarnished' in marketing value. The elusive champ on a pedestal is she who left before she could be knocked off the pedestal (unless she was Henie or Witt, who gambled and won by returning atop the Oly pedestal...even though Witt lost Worlds to Debi Thomas in 86)!