PDA

View Full Version : Tickets to 2012 Europeans in Sheffield Question

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

millipied
05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Premier Inn is the cheapest and decent. The closest one is in Meadowhall.

Skateophile
05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
The closest Premier Inn is Sheffield Arena, but I suspect it is fully booked by now. Meadowhall is next nearest. There is an Etap right next door to iceSheffield and there will be a rush as soon as they start accepting reservations for that date (by my calculations, another couple of weeks). The Etap is the cheapest option, but you have to know someone very well to share a room there!

C_T_T_
05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I can confirm that Volunteers and teams will be in the top right hand corner 208 and 'blocks 103 and 104 are currently reserved for ISU, VIP’s and technical purposes.' So I shall be buying tickets I think!

npavel
05-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I bought my tickets too. Unfortunatelly area 105 was already sold out. So I have my ticket on area 118 H9. I'm on my own too, as always. Wasn't sure to get the days from work, but got it confirmed.

batikat11
05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
It would be nice if they used them this time. We were sat just behind the VIP section at Worlds in 1995 and you could guarantee that they would be mostly empty for all but the last couple of groups in each event, when people like me would have loved to have been able to sit there.

I am hoping that the all event ticket allows you to wander freely and sit anywhere for the practice sessions in the areana and at Ice Sheffield. This was the case at both events in Birmingham, but not in Dortmund when worlds were there.

I don't know what hotel prices in Sheffield are like, but if they are much cheaper in outlying towns, it may be of use to know that the tram from the arena goes not only into the town centre, but to the Meadowhall shopping centre rail station where you can connect with trains to go elsewhere.

I wonder what they will do about food provision. The NEC had a canteen, but as far as I know the Arena only has junk food stands. I know there are restaurants and Meadowhall within 1/4 to 1/2 hour walking distance, but sometimes you just don't want to leave and miss the practices. Guess it might be down to Pot Noodles and a flask of hot water in the car again.

I don't remember not being able to wander freely and sit wherever in Dortmund for practice sessions. We sat in seats in the front row for those while our ticketed seats were half way up around a corner. Dortmund was great for being able to mix and mingle with all the skaters too as they all warmed up by running around the upper levels and Brian J frequented the sweet stalls!

I'll be staying in the Meadowhall Premier Inn for the week (which has a TGIFriday next door and walking distance to Meadowhall Centre). It probably has the best beds for the price but there are quite a few cheap deals from the Sheffield hotels on internet sites.

Hedwig
05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Apart from the Olympics, no figure skating event has ever controlled where to sit during practice sessions. Normally only a few people watch it anyway so you can go whereever you like.
And even in Vancouver it was possible to switch seats even though not strictly allowed.

victorskid
05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Hedwig - in Dortmund this might have been true generally. There were, however, a few ushers who took their jobs very seriously and definitely "discouraged" you from being anywhere but in your own section. I experienced this personally.

Nadin
05-22-2011, 12:25 PM
The death stares in Tallinn were one of a kind though, weren't they? :lol:

Imperfect Edge
05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Has anyone had any luck with booking the Etap hotel? Dates up until the Weds of Europeans week are released but it also seems to be saying the hotel is unavailable on that week. Its almost like someone has booked out the entire hotel!?! (Genius person whoever that is but ruins my plans!)

skatesindreams
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Often these "block bookings" are released close to the event, after the hotel sees how many rooms are actually filled.

skatefan
05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Just had a quick look at the site, nothing at all is available (ie showing a price per night) after 31st December so maybe they just haven't set the prices/booking facility that far ahead yet.

I bought my tickets too. Unfortunatelly area 105 was already sold out. So I have my ticket on area 118 H9. I'm on my own too, as always.

I'm also going on my own - my seat is in block 116.

JP1
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
My ticket is in the first row right behind the judges section 102 row E. Do they have good view?
http://europeans2012.co.uk/tickets

You will still have a good view but I'm afraid you are no longer on the First row :-( They have put the individual tickets on sale and extended the seating so that First Row is now row A !
Those of us who rushed to buy All event tickets thinking Row E was first row have been misled I'm afraid. Feeling rather Miffed right now to put it lightly :mad:

mella
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
You will still have a good view but I'm afraid you are no longer on the First row :-( They have put the individual tickets on sale and extended the seating so that First Row is now row A !
Those of us who rushed to buy All event tickets thinking Row E was first row have been misled I'm afraid. Feeling rather Miffed right now to put it lightly :mad:

Don't feel too miffed. You may find that some of the lower level seats actually don't have as good a view. Various obstructions such as TV cameras, photograph standing posts (well the photographers themselves when they are stood on them I guess), tribunes for the judges and press etc can cause obstructions in those very close seats. I've often found that being a few rows back is better as:
1. You can see more of the pattern skaters make across the ice and
2. You can see the skaters feet through most of the performance (in the very front rows you can't see their feet when they are in front of the boards on your side of the rink)

Everyone has different preferences of course but it might not be as bad as you think. We have row L seats I think having chosen them a bit further back from the front to take account of all the above so we will be quite far back in the end but those seats will have advantages too.

Hope you are happy in the end when you see your seats.

ETA - I wonder if this means sales have gone very well so far? It would be fabulous to see a sell out event in the UK!

JP1
06-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh I know the seats will still have a good view thanks , I didn't book row E for those reasons, I do feel sorry for people who did want to be on the first row though. Was this mentioned to anyone who bought their tickets over the phone by the way ?

deedeelocks
06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
I always like row 4-5-6 better than row 1 and 2. It's not that close that I feel skaters are in my face, yet I can still see their facial expressions quite well. And sometimes there are icerink where the boarding is so high you can hardly watch over it, that's annoying as well.

I'm in row 10/J :cheer2: