PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Short Dance

Pages : [1] 2 3

Allen
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I am interested to see what everyone thinks about next year's short dance. Here are the rules for next season.

Senior-level ice dancers will skate two sequences of the Rhumba. They can be placed anywhere in the program and do not need to be skated one after another. Skaters are allowed to choose one to three rhythms from: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Merengue. The range of tempo is 43 to 45 measures of four beats per minute (172-180 beats per minute) and must be constant.[2]

Junior-level skaters will perform two sequences of the Cha Cha Congelado. They may be skated anywhere in the program but must be one after the other. The pattern dance must be skated on the Cha Cha rhythm, with the range of tempo from 28 to 30 measures of four beats per minute (112-120 beats per minute). The tempo must be constant.[2]

Sequences must be performed in strict time to the music and step #1 of each sequence must be on a different side of the ice surface. Required elements include:

short lift
not touching circular step sequence (senior); not touching midline step sequence (junior)
one set of sequential twizzles
One transitional dance lift (up to 6 seconds) and a dance spin are permitted as part of choreography but not required. The ISU stated: "The concept and choreography must produce the feeling of a unified dance." Dancers are allowed a maximum of two full stops, not exceeding 5 seconds each, or one full stop, not exceeding 10 seconds. A separation may not be more than two arms length apart

Here is a video of the Rhumba (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYBxj7GdWz0) compulsory dance with Jean Senft explaining the dance.

Here is a video of the Cha Cha Congelad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So4PuRIwNVY)o which the junior teams will use.

I wasn't excited at first, but I think it will actually be fun, minus all the brother sister teams doing the rhumba.

love skating
05-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm most interested in seeing the no touching circular step sequence. Sounds interesting. Not to mention the crazy costumes we'll probably get to see.

plushenkofan
05-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Bring on the skimpy neon Latin costumes :D

literaryfreak
05-02-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm still waiting for my Yankee Polka SD. :wuzrobbed

But in seriousness, I'm so intrigued by this non-touching circular step sequence.

Lilith11
05-02-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm still waiting for my Yankee Polka SD. :wuzrobbed

But in seriousness, I'm so intrigued by this non-touching circular step sequence.

ITA w/the second half. Really be a test for the unison of the senior teams :3

casken
05-02-2011, 03:22 AM
I'm most interested in seeing the no touching circular step sequence.

Me too. I want to see a serpentine non touch sequence too.

do not need to be skated one after another.

That could be interesting too, but I see most teams just doing the sequences together.

shan
05-02-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm wondering what modern music fits the rhumba tempo. Any ideas?

Capella
05-02-2011, 04:09 AM
I was excited at first, but I think it will actually be fun, minus all the brother sister teams doing the rhumba.But the ice dance rhumba is not is sexy like the dancefloor one. It's much more perky. I don't think they'll be the ick factor.

BaileyCatts
05-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Are u kiddin' me? Slutty Latin costumes!!! Bring it on!!! :cheer2:

:P

Allen
05-02-2011, 04:52 AM
But the ice dance rhumba is not is sexy like the dancefloor one. It's much more perky. I don't think they'll be the ick factor.

I think I'm still traumatized by Chris Reed kissing Cathy's arms yesterday. Kieffer Hubble retired and that was the team I was really worried about.

I think the circular no touching step sequence is going to be fab. I also agree that a serpentine would be great.

I think the compulsory pattern itself is really boring. I like the Golden Waltz because it is obviously very challenging. I think Silver Samba would have been more interesting.

SamuraiK
05-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the links, may I say the Rhumba seems totally simple and flat and will feel like a waste of time in the middle of the SD? not to mention the pattern hardly has any latin vibe.. dissapointed.

Im really curious about the circular non touching sequence. I remember Castile & Okolski doing a very cute one for pairs in their SP of the 2007-2008 season but I cant find any links on youtube :(

oleada
05-02-2011, 05:47 AM
I wanna see what Elena and Nikita can do :smokin:

casken
05-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Here are more recent examples from 2007 Worlds.

Denkova and Staiviski (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1sDZk6wYn0)
Dubreuil and Lauzon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShJ6ySYOUg)
Domnina & Shabalin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDGnE_eALe8)

I can't find DelSchoes, but theirs was good too.

Jenya
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the links, may I say the Rhumba seems totally simple and flat and will feel like a waste of time in the middle of the SD? not to mention the pattern hardly has any latin vibe.. dissapointed.

The Rhumba looks easy but it's difficult to do well. I definitely don't think it's as difficult as the Golden Waltz, but it's not easy - there are certainly still sections that will challenge a lot of teams.

I like the choice of a Latin theme, and seeing a circular non-touching step sequence should be interesting.

aster
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I think the compulsory pattern itself is really boring. I like the Golden Waltz because it is obviously very challenging. I think Silver Samba would have been more interesting.

The Samba is easier than the Rhumba, not that the Rhumba is particularly difficult at that level (especially compared to the Golden!)

I'm with literaryfreak on the Yankee Polka SD, though. That would be great!