PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52]

Mathman
06-20-2011, 03:05 AM
I suspect they have some real live marketing people at USFSA that they haven't had before. The primary rule of marketing is. Get attention bad or good, make sure people love you or hate you, nothing in between.

All kidding aside, I hope you are right. I know that USFS has made some prominent hires in the last few years with an eye toward media savvy.

Maybe one of the problems has been figure skating's reputation as a frou-frou "rich kids' sport," above the fray of the rough-and-tumble.

Plus, this needed to be done for the good of the sport, as you can't let things continue to be under the rug.

Good point, too.

kwanfan1818
06-20-2011, 03:49 AM
Hiow could "earning spots" possibly be the reason for holding a world championship competition?
Earning spots might not be why the ISU holds the World Championships, but the World Championships not only determine the number of spots for the next year's championships and, when applicable, the Olympics, but it also how many skaters get direct entries the following year vs. competing in the quali round -- assuming there will be enough skaters who meet the new minimum requirements to need a quali round -- in addition to GP assignments for the following season. A GP host federation might be very interested in having the maximum number of skaters in the top 12 who are guaranteed spots, as opposed to having to use host picks. Any federation with a deep field or up-and-coming skaters are interested in having additional spots to get their skaters international exposure at championships.

The Fly On The Wall
06-20-2011, 04:57 AM
When I try to imagine myself in Rachael's position, I always come up with something like this:

"I can do this! Sure it hurts, but I can suck it up. I'm gonna go out out there and skate like my life depends on it. I'm going to skate for God and country and hope for a miracle."

This. :respec:

Marco
06-20-2011, 04:58 AM
When I try to imagine myself in Rachael's position, I always come up with something like this:

"I can do this! Sure it hurts, but I can suck it up. I'm gonna go out out there and skate like my life depends on it. I'm going to skate for God and country and hope for a miracle."

Mine would be: "Oh I am injured and it's a serious one. I want to suck it up, but I am obligated both contractually and ethically to at least report this injury to my Federation so they can monitor my progress and ask the next in line skater to get ready. It isn't just about me. I receive money from USFS and there are world spots at stake. They are entitled to know I am injured. I will try my best to suck it up, but if I don't get clearance from the doctors or USFS to go, then I will gracefully step aside, let my serious injury heal, and the next in line can take my place."

The Fly On The Wall
06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
I suspect they have some real live marketing people at USFSA that they haven't had before. The primary rule of marketing is. Get attention bad or good, make sure people love you or hate you, nothing in between.

A few black eyes here and there, dosen't hurt in the end.

On the back of an 18-year-old kid? Nice. :rolleyes:

Mathman
06-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Mine would be: "Oh I am injured and it's a serious one. I want to suck it up, but I am obligated both contractually and ethically to at least report this injury to my Federation so they can monitor my progress and ask the next in line skater to get ready. It isn't just about me. I receive money from USFS and there are world spots at stake. They are entitled to know I am injured. I will try my best to suck it up, but if I don't get clearance from the doctors or USFS to go, then I will gracefully step aside, let my serious injury heal, and the next in line can take my place."

To each his own.

But I think you should change the first line to "Oh dear me I am injured..."

MacMadame
06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
But my pretend theory makes more sense than what actually happened..
Your pretend theory is ridiculous. Do you really think NBC would put into a contract that USFS has to manufacture a scandal to up ratings? Because that would give both parties a tremendous legal liability.

whole post
Any reason to post this in TWO threads?

For that matter, it would be a lot easier to follow this discussion if it was only in the thread specifically about it. It's hard to remember who said what in what thread and people only reading here are missing a lot of information that was provided in the other thread.

Sasha'sSpins
06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
That would only make the USFSA look pettty and foolish. To win in court, they would have to prove not only that Rachael violated the terms of the contract but also that this violation caused a financial loss for the USFSA.

Plus, whatever publicity the case generated, it would look like the Bad Bad Wolf picking on Little Red Riding Hood.

I think the USFSA has already managed to look pretty petty and foolish to some people judging from some of the posts defending Rachael. And not just on this recent picadillo but other times as well. I'm just saying.

And someone said either on this forum or another skating site something about any publicity good, bad, or ugly is good publicity for U.S. Figure Skating. Not sure if it was on FSU or GF but I just read that from a poster yesterday. Something about USFSA hiring new blood to generate said publicity-and apparently publicly embarassing Rachael is just fine and dandy with them as long as they get said publicity. :shuffle:

One things for sure in the U.S. - any one can sue in the U.S. but just the same I doubt Rachael would let it get that far-especially if she wants to keep skating competitively. She's probably paid her fine, or it's come out of her funding whichever way they work it.

allezfred
06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Since there are two threads on this issue (although even one is one too many at this stage, in my opinion :P), I'm closing this one down.

Feel free to repeat the same arguments ad nauseam in the other thread.