PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52

kwanfan1818
06-17-2011, 04:55 AM
There's a difference to the skater whether the Federation or the skater and/or coach makes the final decision, but Flatt signed an agreement that she would notify the Federation if she was so injured it would affect her performance, and she didn't, even though she wasn't able to perform her technical content in practices leading up to Worlds and sought medical advice. According to what she signed, she had to tell the Federation, regardless of the decision they might make.

We don't know what Flatt's coach told her, but, again, it makes no difference to USFS when dealing with Flatt, since she signed an agreement and didn't follow it. He also had an obligation to report, which is a separate issue.

Jammers
06-17-2011, 04:54 PM
No wonder skaters are running as fast as they can to get away from Tom Z. After what he pulled with Joshua Farris and now Rachael he needs to get fined and maybe suspended.

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
There's a difference to the skater whether the Federation or the skater and/or coach makes the final decision, but Flatt signed an agreement that she would notify the Federation if she was so injured it would affect her performance, and she didn't, even though she wasn't able to perform her technical content in practices leading up to Worlds and sought medical advice.
But that's not what Zakrajsek told Hersh (re. the part I bolded above).

Reposting the post-Worlds email explanation from Zakrajsek that was published in this May 2nd blog by Hersh: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/05/coach-why-flatt-skated-at-worlds.html

Explaining that his email and phone access access had been limited in Moscow, Zakrajsek answered in an email Monday after returning to the United States.

Zakrajsek: ``Rachael has been treated by Dr. (Bill) Moreau at the OTC (Olympic Training Center) in Colorado Springs this whole season. She skated because she was able to do both clean SP and LP programs and all of her elements necessary in order to compete well and help the US women earn 3 spots. Rachael decided to compete after consulting with her parents, myself and her doctor.''

FSWer
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Ok.Do all Skaters sign this?

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Do all Skaters sign this?
Yes, all the USA singles skaters and teams that compete internationally as well as those being considered for international assignments.

FSWer
06-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, all the USA singles skaters and teams that compete internationally as well as those being considered for international assignments.

Ok. After skaters sign this agreement. If they get hurt. At the part were they go and report in to the Federation. What then is the pro.? Does the Federation then ask the Skater if she/he feels well enough to skate and leave it up to the skater to decidde if they want to skate OR choose the Alternate? Or does the Federation just tell the skater flat-out that they have no choice but to send in the Alternate?

Sylvia
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Good questions. I don't think we fans can know the answers. It's between the U.S. Figure Skating federation and the skaters/coaches.

FSWer
06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Because if it's #2. That would be the wong way to do it. I'd love to find that out. I also surely hope that Debbi Thomas (because of what she does now) has heard about this. She would know the answer. LOL. But is there anyone here who does?

Iceman
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
If the injury was indeed aggravated after the SP, there is nothing the USFSA could have done to get another skater there. I think it likely she thought she could manage just like Michelle thought she could do it in Torino. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Only the person on the ice knows.

I was about to make a similar post. I think Rachael arrived at worlds believing she was ok and then practice and the sp aggravated the injury in a way not expected.
Unfortunately, unlike Michelle, the timing was bad.

I think USFSA let Phil and others rush them to judgment about this. Did they cross examine Rachael, Tom and the Olympic team doctor that she worked with? Since this had been made public , I wish someone would request and get a copy of the deliberations so it can be seen how they handled it.

UGG
06-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I feel bad for Rachel.:( And believe me...I am no fan. She must be humiliated.

PDilemma
06-18-2011, 12:00 AM
I was about to make a similar post. I think Rachael arrived at worlds believing she was ok and then practice and the sp aggravated the injury in a way not expected.

I think USFSA let Phil and others rush them to judgment about this. Did they cross examine Rachael, Tom and the Olympic team doctor that she worked with? Since this had been made public , I wish someone would request and get a copy of the deliberations so it can be seen how they handled it.

The free skate was on April 29. They have had plenty of time to ask everyone involved plenty of questions. It isn't as if this reprimand and fine were announced on the 30th.

And since Rachael's medical records are involved, the information they collected is likely not going to be made available to the public.

There is a rule about reporting injuries. Rachael signed an agreement that made that rule clear and that obligated her to abide by it. She did not. She was not reprimanded for her injury or for her placement or for having bad hair or for not being a fan favorite at FSU or anything else that people are trying to make this about. She is being reprimanded for violating the rules she agreed to abide by. This is what happens in life. Anyone who has worked under an employment contract or signed an agreement to abide by certain company policies understands this (or should).

FSWer
06-18-2011, 01:59 AM

Can you explain what that means about nothing they can do?

ProgramerUSFS
06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
The free skate was on April 29. They have had plenty of time to ask everyone involved plenty of questions. It isn't as if this reprimand and fine were announced on the 30th.

And since Rachael's medical records are involved, the information they collected is likely not going to be made available to the public.

There is a rule about reporting injuries. Rachael signed an agreement that made that rule clear and that obligated her to abide by it. She did not. She was not reprimanded for her injury or for her placement or for having bad hair or for not being a fan favorite at FSU or anything else that people are trying to make this about. She is being reprimanded for violating the rules she agreed to abide by. This is what happens in life. Anyone who has worked under an employment contract or signed an agreement to abide by certain company policies understands this (or should).

Please Please everyone read what is written above. Its common sense at its best. I love it, you summed it up perfectly, and yes it is just like an employment contact. Nice job !

Iceman
06-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I think there is probably wholesale violation of this rule. Maybe the result will be that in the future USFSA will be bombarded with reports of injuries from the skaters and their coaches.

FSWer
06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Please Please everyone read what is written above. Its common sense at its best. I love it, you summed it up perfectly, and yes it is just like an employment contact. Nice job !

What about her hair? Also,evenif she DID disobey the rules. She's hurt!!! I think it's alfully rotten to have her deal with a fine. Also,is she being fined because the rules REQUIRE her to pay a fine? Or did the Federation deside TO fine her?