PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52

kittyjake5
05-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Congrats to Rachael! She did great job.

Iceman
05-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I didn't realize until recently that Rachael had skated pairs for about three years. As young as she is, she could stay till Sochi, retire as a singles skater and come back in a
pairs team.

Cheylana
05-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I didn't realize until recently that Rachael had skated pairs for about three years. As young as she is, she could stay till Sochi, retire as a singles skater and come back in a
pairs team.
:)

RD
05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I didn't realize until recently that Rachael had skated pairs for about three years.

Really? I wasn't aware of that either.

Sylvia
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Rachael skated pairs until about age 12 with Andrew Speroff (8th in Senior Pairs with Gretchen Donlan at 2011 Nationals) and Flatt/Speroff won the 2004 U.S. Intermediate title (and Juvenile pairs silver the year before, IIRC).

victoriaheidi
05-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Rachael skated pairs until about age 12 with Andrew Speroff (8th in Senior Pairs with Gretchen Donlan at 2011 Nationals) and Flatt/Speroff won the 2004 U.S. Intermediate title (and Juvenile pairs silver the year before, IIRC).

What's so weird about the whole thing is that, at the same time that she won juvenile pairs, she placed 6th in singles, and when she and Andrew won the intermediate title, she didn't even qualify to nats, I believe.

I guess she and Andrew were pretty good. But I don't think she really has the pairs look now (although she and Ryan Bradley did some kind of duet at Improv-Ice last year [I think] and she looked great in a pairs lift!).

Sylvia
05-25-2011, 03:59 AM
What's so weird about the whole thing is that, at the same time that she won juvenile pairs, she placed 6th in singles, and when she and Andrew won the intermediate title, she didn't even qualify to nats, I believe.
Flatt won the silver in juvenile pairs with Speroff in 2003. She did qualify for 2004 Intermediate Nationals (in December 2003) but didn't make the final round in singles (USFS doesn't list Intermediate/Juvenile National results in the skaters' bios unless they make the final round) -- looking back, it was an interesting Intermediate qualifying group ;): http://usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200304/usjrchamps/interladies-1c.htm

Jot the Dot Dot
05-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Does anyone have links to vidclips of Rachael & Andrew? I can't seem to find one anywhere, not evern a photo.

olifaunt
05-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Back on the original thread topic, Phil Hersh said this on twitter earlier:

I asked USFS for update this week and was told the process taking longer than expected because people were scattered but something expected soon.

I wonder how long "soon" is.

victoriaheidi
05-26-2011, 02:33 AM
I wonder how long "soon" is.

I'm not holding my breath. We aren't going to get what we want, not with Tom's level of influence. I wish we could turn this into an excuse to provide better athlete monitoring in advance of major competitions and more specific rules about injuries and competition. I just don't think the US wants to admit that anyone was wrong here.

kwanfan1818
05-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Morosov.
Just kidding. :P
I wouldn't be joking, although it's not likely now. Morozov's skaters learn to use their blades and to gain power and speed. And Ando's posture has improved.

It's not like Flatt's choreography is so wonderful that Morozov's would be much worse.

euterpe
05-26-2011, 05:26 AM
I went to the NYC ballet tonight and they did "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue". It was a hoot from beginning to end. It is NOT a tragic story, but a comic sendup, and that was exactly what Flatt was trying to portray.

Sasha'sSpins
05-26-2011, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't be joking, although it's not likely now. Morozov's skaters learn to use their blades and to gain power and speed. And Ando's posture has improved.

It's not like Flatt's choreography is so wonderful that Morozov's would be much worse.

ITA.

kwanfan1818
05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I went to the NYC ballet tonight and they did "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue". It was a hoot from beginning to end. It is NOT a tragic story, but a comic sendup, and that was exactly what Flatt was trying to portray.
I'm not sure that ever was in question. The ballerina in "Slaughter" is playing a femme fatale straight with funny stage business, like slinking away a gun with her shoe, and comic timing: that's what makes it funny. "Slaughter" is not cutesy Charleston or faux sultry.

On the topic of skating hurt, I think that skaters should be monitored when there's any question of their health. She wasn't the only skater skating injured: Kevin Reynolds was getting much-needed rest for his injury, suffered in December, and with which he skated Nationals and Four Continents, when he was called to substitute and came back prematurely with only a few weeks on the ice. I know that the substitute list was small, and no one else was sent to an international to gain a minimum score before Worlds because Sawyer was supposed to skate, but in my opinion, there was no way he should have been allowed to jeopardize his recovery and readiness for next season as an insurance policy in case of a fluke accident to Patrick Chan, like Borodulin's broken blade two seasons ago. Because otherwise, if no one replaced Sawyer, odds were that Joey Russell wouldn't have had to qualify for the FS -- he would have been the second direct skater if no one had replaced Sawyer -- for Canada to earn two spots. Or Liam Firus, coming off a disappointing Jr. Worlds.

Ozzisk8tr
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
As a person who's performing career was ended due to an injury (the show must go on) I have so little respect for anyone in a position of authority who let's their skater/dancer/anything perform/compete injured. You only have one body and there are plenty more competitions/ performances to be had. Respect your injury is what I instill in my skaters. (I broke a bone in my back after being pressured by a stage manager to perform afer getting a diagnosis of a stress fracture). Shame on any coach who doesn't repect their skaters.