PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Ozzisk8tr
05-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Who would be a good choreographer for Rachael?

Brett Favre...

kidding.

IceAlisa
05-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Brett Favre...

:rofl:

Sasha'sSpins
05-21-2011, 07:13 AM
OMG, that short program was gorgeous. What happened to that Rachael? OK, there were growth issues, but here there was a naturalness there that seems to have been replaced by overdone precious moves, posturing, and nauseating cuteness since then which seems to be "you're not skinny and balletic, so let's play up the cutesy factor."

Honestly, I'm a huge Dorothy Hamill fan, but I wonder if Dorothy was the best "mentor" for her during the last Olympic cycle. Dorothy is a legend, but she also has more than a bit of a chip on her shoulder regarding being a skating star, and her 2010 season attitude toward Rachael was "you're not like other skaters" (which I have read as "you're not skinny, you're not balletic and graceful") and I wonder if this fed into that let's be cute and adorable, roll our eyes, fan ourselves and overcome the fact that we can't carry off Kwan/Cohen/Czisny/Nagasu beauty and grace. OK, Rachael is far from the second coming of Janet Lynn, but I'm honestly beginning to think her coaches, choreographers and mentors (hello, Ms. Hamill) sold her short and didn't make changes that could have really benefited her, both technique and presentation-wise, or kept the best of her as demonstrated in that short program video.

I don't think Dorothy meant it that way at all. I saw the telecast when Dorothy said she basically told Rachael to forget about trying to be what she's not-I think she meant it as Rachael should be playing to her strengths, her fierce competitiveness, her consistency, her athleticisim. It's true Rachael will never be the balletic or flexible Cohen/Nagasu type so why kill herself trying-by perhaps God forbid starving herself, etc.

Iceman
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know if Rachael still plans on skating at Skate for Hope in June?

lilshorty
05-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know if Rachael still plans on skating at Skate for Hope in June?

According to this link posted in the D/C thread http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners she is still listed as one of the headliners, so I would hope that she still plans to skate and see no reason for her not to.

Iceman
05-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Geez, Emily Hughes is still skating. Is she planning a come back?

FSWer
05-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I hope that Rachael still continues to skate. BTW. what about Emily Hughes as Iceman asked too. Is she offically Retired?

Jenna
05-23-2011, 02:39 AM

I doubt Emily would ever consider coming back to the competitive scene. She''s doing shows and benefits now.

victoriaheidi
05-23-2011, 06:22 AM
I don't think Emily will compete, but there's no reason for her to stop doing shows, is there?

I think Rachael's on for next year. At least, she's said that a bunch of times.

RD
05-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Doubt it.

The trend that Kwan popularized (effectively retiring without officially making an announcement) is really out of control now. Although, I'll say it's likely better than retiring, then coming out of retirement, then "retiring" again, etc. (e.g. Favre).

victoriaheidi
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Doubt it.

The trend that Kwan popularized (effectively retiring without officially making an announcement) is really out of control now. Although, I'll say it's likely better than retiring, then coming out of retirement, then "retiring" again, etc. (e.g. Favre).

Yeah, but I'd rather that people retire...you can change your mind (within reason), but saying something would be nice!

RD
05-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but I'd rather that people retire...you can change your mind (within reason), but saying something would be nice!

Deep down, I wish this would happen too...

VIETgrlTerifa
05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Who cares?

Back then, skaters had to retire in order to take advantage of money-making pro opportunities on tours or competitions. Now, the skating landscape is so different with Olympic-eligible competitors able to make a lot of money, do shows, go on tours, etc. without having it affect their eligibility.

There is simply no need to make an announcement. If a skater isn't signed up for the GP, Regionals/Sectionals, Internationals, or Nationals, then it is likely that they aren't competing that season.

ilovesalchows
05-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Who cares?

There is simply no need to make an announcement. If a skater isn't signed up for the GP, Regionals/Sectionals, Internationals, or Nationals, then it is likely that they aren't competing that season.

And if they do come back and beat everyone, then more power to them!

Jot the Dot Dot
05-24-2011, 08:30 PM
And who else but this multifaceted cutie could win the "Celebrity Sports Apprentice"? http://cordillerablogs.com/ldouglas/?p=3504 And she's only 18!