PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Triple Butz
05-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Who would be a good choreographer for Rachael?

I said this in the other thread, but I think Shae Lynn would be good. She did wonders for Kevin Reynolds (obviously he's still not there yet, but certainly a lot closer) so maybe it's time for her to take on another ginger.

aster
05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Both totally adorable. (requirements for alpha must have changed, or Mirai was doing all kinds of illegal Alpha moves. Waltz jumps? back spirals? Mohawks??? SHOCKING.)

The only thing that is illegal is the mohawk. I would call those "back spirals" back one-foot glides (her leg is not above her hip, and she's holding her blade -- it's pretty common to see something like that in ISI) and pre-alpha through delta have to do a FS1 element in ISI competitions (she does a waltz jump). Mohawks are in gamma, though, so, yes, that's illegal.

Jammers
05-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I said this in the other thread, but I think Shae Lynn would be good. She did wonders for Kevin Reynolds (obviously he's still not there yet, but certainly a lot closer) so maybe it's time for her to take on another ginger.

Well that would make sense since Kevin looks like a male Rachael Flatt. In fact i wonder if they are twins? :lol:

peibeck
05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Who would be a good choreographer for Rachael?

I vote for Tom Dickson.

aftershocks
05-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Here's a positive blog on the same subject: Rachael Rocks as the Celebrity Sports Apprentice (http://cordillerablogs.com/ldouglas/?p=3400)

Includes video: http://www1.newsfirst5.com/news/cheyenne-mountain-doubles-team-shares-athlete-of-the-week-award/

Hmmmm, not bad, Rachael obviously has a lot of poise, chutzpah, and the ability to smile and banter without saying anything too revealing or informative. Apparently a requirement of most broadcast anchors.

As a sportscaster, Rachael displays lots of potential, but boy does she need to work on her vocal delivery. She enunciates well, but she needs a voice coach to learn how to project, as her voice sounds a bit nasal and too small, as if it is being swallowed-up back into her throat. Also her tone/ inflection need work. There is a lot to understanding how to use one's voice to the best effect, especially in the media business (whether reading off a teleprompter, or speaking impromptu). There was an interesting bit in The King's Speech, with a BBC radio announcer shown going through a series of vocal gymnastics (i.e., warming up his voice before going live on air). Acting classes, voice lessons, and voice exercises might work wonders for Rachael (although if she plans to continue skating, she probably should pay more attention to on-ice training instead).

On the plus side, Rachael's a step ahead, as she's comfortable in front of a camera, and she doesn't seem to have any problems re knowing where to look. If you are not accustomed to being on camera, believe me, its easy to get a deer-in-the-headlights look. Anyway, props to RT on this fun effort! Also, great soft-pedaling by the host and Rachael re the Worlds fiasco. ;)

LilJen
05-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I vote for Tom Dickson.

She's worked with him before.

I still vote she works with the ice dancers in the Bay Area all next year while taking the year off.

Sylvia
05-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Dickson choreographed Flatt's 2008 short program to Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So" which I liked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7rv4_Eu4g4

edonice
05-20-2011, 11:14 PM
As the daughter of a scientist, and someone who wants to go into chemical engineering, it makes sense that her approach to artistry would be more cerebral and analytical. Some of her old classical programs really took advantage of that, especially the 2008 program Sylvia posted. She looked challenged, vibrant, and the emotion of the program suited her. I hope her programs this year take advantage of her analytic nature; this year she looked like she was pushing herself, which was good, but it never ended up looking natural on her.

Iceman
05-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Rachael does appear quite natural before the camera, below an example of her doing an ad and a PSA

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4805653/rachael_flatt_helps_rif_promote_children_s_literac y/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSjU1KNdDc

Many suggestions are being made here for Rachael. On her official web site, you can make them directly to her. I am suggesting a piece of music for a program for her.

I would like whoever choreographed her 2007 Allegro Molotform to do something for her again.

Here is the Rachael I would like to see come back, but with two bulging discs and whatever leg problems she has now, not sure it is possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

Yazmeen
05-21-2011, 01:23 AM
OMG, that short program was gorgeous. What happened to that Rachael? OK, there were growth issues, but here there was a naturalness there that seems to have been replaced by overdone precious moves, posturing, and nauseating cuteness since then which seems to be "you're not skinny and balletic, so let's play up the cutesy factor."

Honestly, I'm a huge Dorothy Hamill fan, but I wonder if Dorothy was the best "mentor" for her during the last Olympic cycle. Dorothy is a legend, but she also has more than a bit of a chip on her shoulder regarding being a skating star, and her 2010 season attitude toward Rachael was "you're not like other skaters" (which I have read as "you're not skinny, you're not balletic and graceful") and I wonder if this fed into that let's be cute and adorable, roll our eyes, fan ourselves and overcome the fact that we can't carry off Kwan/Cohen/Czisny/Nagasu beauty and grace. OK, Rachael is far from the second coming of Janet Lynn, but I'm honestly beginning to think her coaches, choreographers and mentors (hello, Ms. Hamill) sold her short and didn't make changes that could have really benefited her, both technique and presentation-wise, or kept the best of her as demonstrated in that short program video.

skatemommy
05-21-2011, 02:47 AM
^ wow, spot on, painful but wow...

Sylvia
05-21-2011, 02:49 AM
I would like whoever choreographed her 2007 Allegro Molotform to do something for her again.
This was the first program ("Scherzo: Allegro Molto from Trio No. 1 in B Major, Opus 8" by Brahms) that Lori Nichol choreographed for Rachael.

Angela-Fan
05-21-2011, 02:54 AM
That was a beautiful program and she was so cute lol. The hair, the dress, the music, everything :)

victoriaheidi
05-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Honestly, I'm a huge Dorothy Hamill fan, but I wonder if Dorothy was the best "mentor" for her during the last Olympic cycle. Dorothy is a legend, but she also has more than a bit of a chip on her shoulder regarding being a skating star, and her 2010 season attitude toward Rachael was "you're not like other skaters" (which I have read as "you're not skinny, you're not balletic and graceful") and I wonder if this fed into that let's be cute and adorable, roll our eyes, fan ourselves and overcome the fact that we can't carry off Kwan/Cohen/Czisny/Nagasu beauty and grace. OK, Rachael is far from the second coming of Janet Lynn, but I'm honestly beginning to think her coaches, choreographers and mentors (hello, Ms. Hamill) sold her short and didn't make changes that could have really benefited her, both technique and presentation-wise, or kept the best of her as demonstrated in that short program video.

Agreed. I think Dorothy probably wasn't the person for Rachael. Dorothy would have been really good for Mirai in the sense that Dorothy was great at putting everything aside while she skated-Mirai needs help with that. Ashley supposedly had Tara-I think Sarah would have been amazing for Rachael, but she had her own sister to worry about.

Don't think Lori and Tom help. Rachael needs people who can watch her old programs, see "it" in her, and use their belief in her to create programs that bring "it" out.

Triple Butz
05-21-2011, 04:51 AM
OMG, that short program was gorgeous. What happened to that Rachael? OK, there were growth issues, but here there was a naturalness there that seems to have been replaced by overdone precious moves, posturing, and nauseating cuteness since then which seems to be "you're not skinny and balletic, so let's play up the cutesy factor."

IIRC, Dorothy did most of her "mentoring" in the 2008/2009 season. I met her in person at worlds and she was talking to Peter Carruthers about her role with Rachael. It seemed their correspondence was mostly over phone and email. It wasn't until 09/10 that Rachael and co. went for the "cutesy wutesy" style. I think the "mentors" were there to give advice about mental strategy and the competitive mind set more than anything else. How could anyone think that Dorothy Hamill had anything to do with the monstrosities known as Flatt's programs the last several years? :confused: That kind of awful has Tom Z, Becky Calvin, and Lori Nichol written all over it.