PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

RD
05-17-2011, 03:42 AM
To get this thread back on topic- anyone have any updates on the situation discussed earlier in the thread? Hersh and posters made a big to-do about it, but the scene has gone strangely quiet ever since. Have people cooled off enough to forget about it? Odd.

olifaunt
05-17-2011, 03:49 AM
To get this thread back on topic- anyone have any updates on the situation discussed earlier in the thread? Hersh and posters made a big to-do about it, but the scene has gone strangely quiet ever since. Have people cooled off enough to forget about it? Odd.

The only Rachael/Tom Z news I've seen recently is that Tom Z was just nominated for coach of the year. That does not exactly inspire great hope for a USFSA-sanctioned investigation of the issue.

RD
05-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Back to Rachael Flatt, why the heck does she want to work on a 3A now? I can think of at least ten other things she needs to do/work on before she thinks about a 3A.

In Flatt's case I think she could definitely use one if she can do it. Her best isn't good enough for a medal- even when she was better- so any additional points she can get will be to her benefit. Ultimately she has to decide if it's worth the increased risk of failure and/or injury (look to Mao Asada, for instance) but at this point I wouldn't be against her trying.

The only Rachael/Tom Z news I've seen recently is that Tom Z was just nominated for coach of the year.

Really? Wow.

victoriaheidi
05-17-2011, 04:08 AM
The only Rachael/Tom Z news I've seen recently is that Tom Z was just nominated for coach of the year. That does not exactly inspire great hope for a USFSA-sanctioned investigation of the issue.

1. Yeah, I really wasn't expecting anyone in USFS to step up and try to investigate Tom. They like him too much.
2. Isn't it standard to nominate the coaches of the national champions? He did have one this year...
3. I also highly doubt that he has any chance of winning. I think Igor and Marina have that one in the bag.

In Flatt's case I think she could definitely use one if she can do it. Her best isn't good enough for a medal- even when she was better- so any additional points she can get will be to her benefit. Ultimately she has to decide if it's worth the increased risk of failure and/or injury (look to Mao Asada, for instance) but at this point I wouldn't be against her trying.

The only reason I'm concerned that she's trying is that it's so soon after her stress fracture diagnosis! Is it really safe to do a 3A under those conditions? And also, shouldn't she be using this time to find a coach by Stanford?

IceJunkie
05-17-2011, 07:07 AM

:lol: Well, I guess he gets results, at whatever the cost.

olympic
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Back to Rachael Flatt, why the heck does she want to work on a 3A now? I can think of at least ten other things she needs to do/work on before she thinks about a 3A.

Like something as simple as stroking / getting into her knees a little more? Finding the proper packaging and look? Just doing a tune-up to get her 3-3s consistent?

Since Rachael has all the jumps, learned to rotate them, and gets on the proper edge for the lutz now, it seems like she could spend all her time on the above and it would help her waaayyyy more and be less injury-inducing than just attempting one jump; a 3x :yikes:

leafygreens
05-17-2011, 02:41 PM
The only reason I'm concerned that she's trying is that it's so soon after her stress fracture diagnosis! Is it really safe to do a 3A under those conditions? And also, shouldn't she be using this time to find a coach by Stanford?

She's crazy, IMO. Is Tom Z pushing her to do the 3A?

victoriaheidi
05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
She's crazy, IMO. Is Tom Z pushing her to do the 3A?

Eh, I'm not sure that he has much influence anymore, but it's possible. It could also be the "international judges" who convinced her to cut her hair. :shuffle:

But seriously, Rachael should be looking for a coach right now. She should be planning programs (at least an LP) with her current technical content and which boost her PCS in a productive way. She should be meeting with a Stanford academic advisor to plan a reasonable schedule. She should be finding a place to live in the Stanford area (IIRC, she couldn't dorm because of the distance between the school and the ice). And she should probably be helping her mother pack, since her parents are trying to (or have?) sold the CO Springs house and are planning on going back to Del Mar (and, for the record, good for them! Again, IIRC, her dad was in Boston while she and her mom were in CO Springs. If the move means that her dad and mom get to live together again, good for them! Plus, they'll be closer to Rachael that way).

Instead, she's currently sequestered in Delaware, working on a 3A.

I love Rachael, and I love her spirit/motivation, but I just don't think the 3A is going to help her as much as it could potentially hurt her.

Sylvia
05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Instead, she's currently sequestered in Delaware, working on a 3A.
The recent Colorado Springs Gazette article didn't say when she was going to Delaware. I'm guessing the purpose of her trip would be to have her jumps analyzed by the motion capture technology there -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77905

According to her Twitter, today she will be on Colorado Springs' KOAA/Channel 5 as a contestant on "The Celebrity Sports Apprentice".

alilou
05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Coaches and U.S. Figure Skating champ are KOAA celebrity sportscasters
http://www.gazette.com/articles/figure-10678-colsprings-koaa-champ.html

Celebrity Sports Apprentice
http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/celebrity-sports-apprentice/

Iceman
05-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Well, for that matter, why is Mirai working on a 3A and practicing it at an important competition like nationals? She has other things she needs to work on too. Of course, I remember Michelle was supposed to introduce a 3A in competition, but that never materialized. I thought Frank's remarks about the Flatt situation were ungalant, esepcially considering that he really didn't know all the facts.

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Well, for that matter, why is Mirai working on a 3A and practicing it at an important competition like nationals? She has other things she needs to work on too.

But is Mirai currently dealing with the aftermath of a stress fracture? If she'd been practicing 3As in early September of last year, I would have felt the same way.

When I said "things to work on," I didn't necessarily mean skating or on-ice things.

mrinalini
05-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Mirai's much more likely to land a 3A than Rachael. In any case, when it's reported that Mirai is working on a 3A, one feels that it's something that she's working on for fun, in her spare time. Rachael is far behind Mirai in so many aspects of her skating that you'd think she'd be concentrating on fixing those deficiencies rather than practising 3As.

And Frank being ungallant, my arse. I actually thought he was quite measured in what he said; I'd have been much more vocal about it.

pinky166
05-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Rachael's 2a is very small and whippy, I just don't see her getting a 3a....

Sasha'sSpins
05-18-2011, 03:48 AM
PCS for this season on Flatt, Nagasu and Czisny:

Flatt:
NHK SP-25.40 LP-52.48
SA SP-26.74 LP-53.99
GPF SP-25.31 LP-46.91
4CC SP-28.80 LP-57.14
WC SP-29.09 LP-51.94

Average SP-26.96 LP-52.49 Internationally
US Nats. SP-30.77 LP-61.60

Czisny:
SC SP-27.58 LP-61.47
TEB SP-27.42 LP-56.40
GPF SP-30.14 LP-61.31
4CC SP-28.94 LP-58.05
WC SP-30.14 LP-61.13

Average SP-28.84 LP-59.67 Internationally
US Nats. SP-29.69 LP-64.55

Nagasu:
CoC SP-27.03 LP-53.65
TEB SP-27.63 LP-55.09
4CC SP-29.23 LP-60.07

Average SP-27.96 LP-56.27 Internationally
US Nats. SP-30.41 LP-60.46

Yes-as the stats show Rachael consistently places BEHIND Mirai and Alissa internationally. The judges clearly seem to see her as number 3. (Or number 2 in the case of the Olympics/Worlds in 2010 behind Mirai.)

Mirai's much more likely to land a 3A than Rachael. In any case, when it's reported that Mirai is working on a 3A, one feels that it's something that she's working on for fun, in her spare time. Rachael is far behind Mirai in so many aspects of her skating that you'd think she'd be concentrating on fixing those deficiencies rather than practising 3As.

And Frank being ungallant, my arse. I actually thought he was quite measured in what he said; I'd have been much more vocal about it.

Rachael's 2a is very small and whippy, I just don't see her getting a 3a....

Both posts-ITA. And Mirai imo has a lot less to work on as far as aspects of her skating i.e. basics versus Rachael.

I still don't think it's triple 'axels' the reporter meant-unless Rachael has said so to other sources.