PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

RD
05-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I think skating CAN have popularity (it is consistently the most watched event during the Olympic broadcasts) but I don't know how sustainable it is because it is such a niche sport that not everybody in the country can actually participate in. I personally don't live in a city that has an ice rink.

Hmm...I don't think that's true any more. During the 2010 Olympics more people watched Vonn in skiing, the gold medal hockey game, and Apolo Ohno than watched the women's skating event. Not having an American in contention (and more likely, having the event on so late) really hurt viewership- exposure, too, since NBC decided to show less of the skating event to show other events where Americans DID win medals.

olympic
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
^I wonder if there is any effect on Ice Dance, though, by the wild popularity of DWTS in the US. It's 'dancing' after all, just transferred to the ice.

Also, I recall that during Lillehamer '94, my whole office was talking about the ladies competition, men and women alike, which I'd never ever experienced before with the sport of figure skating! In fact, a delivery man came in, broke into the office's figure skating conversation and said he'd heard that Oksana was in a collision during practice [the one with Szewczenko].

The local news got in on it, went into a beer bar in NJ [I was living in Philly at the time] and asked the locals who they thought should've won the Ladies SP, Nancy or Tonya. LOL.

Those were good times just for the fact that my sport was wildly popular among so many *sigh*

WOW. We've veered way OT :scream:

VIETgrlTerifa
05-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Hmm...I don't think that's true any more. During the 2010 Olympics more people watched Vonn in skiing, the gold medal hockey game, and Apolo Ohno than watched the women's skating event. Not having an American in contention (and more likely, having the event on so late) really hurt viewership- exposure, too, since NBC decided to show less of the skating event to show other events where Americans DID win medals.

Are you sure about that? I've briefly tried to search for a link comparing the numbers but I haven't found one yet.

I did find this article talking about the huge ratings the pairs event had for NBC: http://dailycaller.com/2010/02/16/nbc-dominates-the-ratings-with-figure-stating-and-moguls/

Also, I don't remember the ladies event having less coverage than year's past. I remember that they showed the final two groups which is usually the norm (although they chacked Akiko Suzuki which pissed me off royally) unless I'm totally misremembering.

RD
05-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I suppose it's now Japan's turn (and Korea's, although I'm not sure how much of theirs is centered around Yuna the celebrity rather than skating itself) to experience the skating boom. The USA experienced it in the 90s (and don't think it's ever coming back), now Japan is in the middle of one. Whether it lasts over there remains to be seen.

RD
05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you sure about that? I've briefly tried to search for a link that the numbers but I haven't found one yet.

This link here shows the top rated sporting events of 2010. Keep in mind that the ladies' free aired as part of the 2/25/10 Olympic primetime package. It came in at #52 on the list, but you can clearly see several other nights of Olympic coverage above it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010/12/2010-numbers-game-broadcast/

As for the ladies, they showed us 10 skaters. (I have the HD recordings on my hard disk.) The entire last group plus Cheltzie Lee, the Turkish girl, Gedevanishvili and Phaneuf.

victoriaheidi
05-14-2011, 04:56 PM

ITA! The Olys hit me at a bad time last year-it was the beginning of my second semester of junior year (for any of the parents around here, you get where I'm coming from) and my grandmother had just passed away. I was hoping to catch some skating as a break from all the stress, but it wasn't ever on at a decent hour! The ONE time it was on at a "normal" time was the exhibition, but NBC only played 6 routines (Kim, Rochette, V/M, D/W, Evan, Plushenko). And they kept interrupting it with skiing!

It just irked me because I really wanted to watch skating, not what NBC considered worth watching.

NBC's coverage of skating basically stinks. We get a highlights show for the GPs (which is two hours long and pretends as though pairs and dance are non-existent disciplines), the last two warm-up groups of the senior FS at Nats (but I think they only do the last group for pairs/dance, and those two are combined?), a few choice performers at the EX at Nats, and...that's about it. :shuffle: Oh, and the Disson shows, but I'm more into the competitive stuff. Universal Sports is obviously the ideal coverage in the US, but I don't have access to it at home. I guess you get what you pay for.

If USFS wanted to improve the popularity of the sport, they could start by actually getting it played on US TV! I guess their contract is with NBC, fine-but it would be totally worth the money to increase TV coverage and publicity (I am saying this without regards to the USFS budget, which is irresponsible of me, but I'm really saying it more to make a point).

VIETgrlTerifa
05-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I found some numbers here:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/02/26/olympics-beat-idol-again-in-total-viewers-and-household-rating/43160/

NBC’s Olympic broadcast that featured figure skating’s ladies free skate later in the broadcast, drew an average audience of 22.9 million, with a peak of 25.0 million in the 9-10 p.m. hour, according to data provided by The Nielsen Company

Compared to http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/03/01/usa-vs-canada-gold-medal-hockey-most-watched-game-in-30-years-with-27-6-million/43413/

Sunday afternoon’s USA vs. Canada gold medal hockey game, that NBC’s Bob Costas called, “One of the greatest sports events I have ever seen,” was the most-watched hockey game in 30 years. Canada’s epic 3-2 overtime victory (3:20-6:13 p.m. ET) drew an average viewership of 27.6 million, the most watched hockey broadcast of any kind since the USA vs. Finland 1980 gold medal game in Lake Placid on Feb. 24, 1980 (32.8 million). For historical comparison, the “Miracle on Ice” USA-Russia semifinal game that aired on tape delay on Feb 22, 1980 from the Lake Placid Games drew 34.2 million average viewers.

Also this link http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/02/18/tv-ratings-lindsey-vonn-snatched-ratings-gold-away-from-american-idol-for-first-time-in-6-years/42324/

Shows strong numbers for the night Vonn was featured.

So you were right about the hockey and Vonn. But for hockey to get those numbers, it was contingent on the U.S. being a gold medal contender in a head-to-head match against rival Canada. Also, I don't know if skiing or speedskating overall gets the big numbers that figure skating usually gets for NBC even it's not always number 1 due to special cases like the Vonn gold medal or the stardom of Ohno. Figure Skating was consistently getting high ratings throughout the Vancouver games, so on average, I think figure skating still enjoys the premier spot as the most watched sport at the Olympics for NBC. Of course figure skating has the luxury of continuing for two weeks of the Olympic coverage and being featured heavily (even if the ladies only only featured a measly 10 skaters) on television over other sports, but there has to be a reason for that, right?

Marco
05-14-2011, 05:46 PM
And many of us have been saying this for several years.

Well if the judges were outrageous enough, they could give her the 2008 and 2009 title too, but they didn't, so they weren't that insane yet. Too bad her 5th place at 2009 Worlds + the Czisny bomb pushed them over the edge.

Iceman
05-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Her PCS at 2010 Nationals is evidence. For 2 continuous seasons I have said it's a mistake to prop her up and what do you know :shuffle:

At Four Continents 2011, International judges gave Flatt PCS scores that were close to those of Nagasu and/or Czisny

Short Program: Flatt/Nagau/Czisny: 28.80/29.23/28.94
Long Program: 57.14/60.07/58.05

I don't think there is a strong case that USFSA is propping up Flatt at nationals.

Coco
05-15-2011, 02:45 AM
But she's clearly #3, and Czisny did NOT have a good competition.

aftershocks
05-15-2011, 04:56 AM
At Four Continents 2011, International judges gave Flatt PCS scores that were close to those of Nagasu and/or Czisny

Short Program: Flatt/Nagau/Czisny: 28.80/29.23/28.94
Long Program: 57.14/60.07/58.05

I don't think there is a strong case that USFSA is propping up Flatt at nationals.

^^ Ultimately, a moot point (i.e., open to debate and irrelevant in the long run). In any case, 4CCs 2011 is not Nationals 2010 or 2011. What the international judges seem to consistently show is that they rate Nagasu and Czisny higher than Flatt most of the time, which is obviously not usually the case at Nationals.

victoriaheidi
05-15-2011, 06:12 AM
^^ Ultimately, a moot point (i.e., open to debate and irrelevant in the long run). In any case, 4CCs 2011 is not Nationals 2010 or 2011. What the international judges seem to consistently show is that they rate Nagasu and Czisny higher than Flatt most of the time, which is obviously not usually the case at Nationals.

Argh, why couldn't we have gotten three spots back?

[Don't say Flatt; Wagner, Liang, Meissner and Czisny have all played a role in this one.]

RD
05-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Argh, why couldn't we have gotten three spots back?

[Don't say Flatt; Wagner, Liang, Meissner and Czisny have all played a role in this one.]

Don't forget Nagasu also!

aftershocks
05-15-2011, 09:17 AM
I think its too bad that 3 spots for U.S. ladies were lost and that we've come so close in recent years, but haven't gotten there again. However, I am not blaming Flatt nor any skater for that, nor am I blaming Flatt for being favored to a degree by USFS. I think its a shame they felt it necessary to make her over. Cutting and dyeing her hair did not improve her appearance on the ice. The short length of her hair only accentuates, not detracts from her relatively short neck. Rachael, her hair, and her skating to me looked better in 2009-2010 than in 2010-2011. Even her programs were skated better at Nats 2010, than at Nats 2011. Still, I liked both Mirai and Ashley better overall at Nats 2010 than I did Rachael (although Ashley's fall in sp killed her chances).

At 2011 Nats, I was rooting for Alissa and was glad she won. For the silver medal, I preferred Mirai over Rachael, as Mirai performed better overall (despite her miscues in the lp). Mirai has also shown that she can beat top contenders internationally--the question is whether she can do it consistently in both sp and lp. In any case, Rachael did not perform that well either in her Nats 2011 lp. This is not vilification or bashing. Rachael has good skills and lovely attributes, but for some reason she has not seemed to further develop her skills in a way that makes her skating interesting to watch for me. I used to enjoy Rachael's skating and she seemed to have more promise than she has so far realized.

I think U.S. fans have definitely been spoiled by the Kwan years, when 3 spots seemed matter of fact, and taken for granted.

sbmeagain
05-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Not only Kwan, but a great back up US ladies as well, who pushed Kwan, and themselves to be on top of their game.