PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

chipso1
05-07-2011, 05:02 AM
What a breath of fresh air. She was gorgeous!

Maybe my favorite program of hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwPQJSZtdbo&feature=related

:swoon:

aftershocks
05-07-2011, 05:16 AM
OT:

And I would like to add that the USFSA has probably damaged Abbott's rep abroad by making him miss Worlds. He is out of the judges consciousness, not seen as a contender all year. ISU were already not giving him massive marks because he is inconsistent, not coming to Worlds will not help for next year, unless he starts next season off with a complete bang and arrives in Nice with a string of strong results, his pcs will be impacted.

Right on the mark. My thoughts exactly! And I think this is one of the biggest drawbacks and factors resulting from USFS gamble in not sending Abbott to Worlds. But let's hope he pulls something wonderful for next season out of the hat he's been performing with in exhibitions.

I was not against Richard and Ross going to Worlds or in Bradley being rewarded, butt Abbott had a great sp at Nats (too bad on him that he flubbed several moves in the lp), and with no Johnny or Evan, Abbott was the one with the most international experience --and Abbott had the more difficult lp than Ross who came in .019 ahead at Nats in the scoring, and arguably Ross would have been just as happy with his showing at Nats coming back from injury the season before, if he had scored .019 behind Abbott and won the pewter with Abbott winning bronze instead. But since Ross was scored .019 ahead of Abbott, Ross earned his spot, and he handled himself admirably in his senior Worlds debut.

It all comes back to USFS taking a gamble on Ryan and his quads, and the two young up-and-comers, Ross and Richard, who actually should have received better scores at Worlds than they did -- skate order in the sp also hurt the Americans.

USFS gambled and lost -- Now, another huge problem for Abbott, USFS, and the American men is the fact there are only 2 spots for Worlds next year.

... I don't understand [Abbott] missing Worlds though. He's absolutely the best male skater we have in the US. What's the point in holding him back for that (I think) blonde who placed third? ...

Boy this thread has strayed off in several directions, but interesting nonetheless. The "blonde" who supposedly the USFS "held back" Abbott for is named Ross Miner. "Yeah, remember my name ... fame! I'm gonna live forever..." Whether Ross ever makes it big or not, he's achieved great success this season and has a lot to be proud of -- please stop with the belittling. BTW, Abbott is now also a blonde. :P I don't get all the references to Miner being boring or lacking personality. He actually skated cleaner than Richard at both Nats and Worlds. It's just so easy for the judges to dump on the U.S. up-and-comers who aren't well known. Ross and Richard both were more consistent and as good or better than many of the men placed in front of them at Worlds from big names like Joubert and Verner, to younger guys like Gachinski, Ten, Gonzalez, and even Brezina who has great jumps, but is still trying to find his style. Seems to me the U.S. fed does not have great pull internationally (with part of that maybe having to do with the sport not being as highly regarded in this country as it is in Canada and Asia, but also b/c USFS does not have great leadership or vision, or a lot of things, above all, they are lacking in smarts).

mtnskater
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
BTW, any news on the supposed "investigation" by USFS regarding the Flatt team decision not to withdraw from Worlds????

Phil Hersh is keeping uncharacteristically quiet too.

I'd like a statement from USFS explaining why they were asleep at the wheel in this and also whether they are going to consider their selection criteria for the World team in the future. Is this a case of "the lights are on and nobody's home?"

DickButtonFan
05-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Everyone knew at the GPF and even nationals that Flatt was injured, so not sure why Mirai wasn't sent to Worlds just in case.

emason
05-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure this was ever "confirmed" information.

Sylvia,

Thanks for the added info.

victoriaheidi
05-07-2011, 05:06 PM
BTW, any news on the supposed "investigation" by USFS regarding the Flatt team decision not to withdraw from Worlds????

Phil Hersh is keeping uncharacteristically quiet too.

I'd like a statement from USFS explaining why they were asleep at the wheel in this and also whether they are going to consider their selection criteria for the World team in the future. Is this a case of "the lights are on and nobody's home?"

I've been meaning to say this, but it sort of fell off of the thread for a while.

I have yet to see the word "investigation" get used, save for this website. Phil said that they were "looking into it," which could even mean that USFS will trust Team Flatt on its word (not saying that's right, but just that it may happen).

Personally, I would love to see an investigation and a new plan for alternates. But I'm not sure USFS would.

Marco
05-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I am pretty sure this whole incident will be forgotten soon. What likely will be done is she or other Tom Z students won't be cut any slacks next year.

judgejudy27
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
People are still crying over Abbott? :rolleyes: If there was any year for US Figure Skating to send the young ones out, it was this one. Dornbush and Miner are the future of US Figure Skating. Abbott? Been there, done that, failed to deliver. :blah:

I agree. I think Abbott has already missed his window. His chances were the 09 Worlds and 2010 Olympics and he blew it, and now things have moved on. This year he actually skated more consistently than in the past and his scores arent that high anymore, including internationally. Does anyone seriously think he could ever be competitive with the likes of Chan or Kozuka in the future even skating his best.

Triple Butz
05-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I agree. I think Abbott has already missed his window. His chances were the 09 Worlds and 2010 Olympics and he blew it, and now things have moved on. This year he actually skated more consistently than in the past and his scores arent that high anymore, including internationally. Does anyone seriously think he could ever be competitive with the likes of Chan or Kozuka in the future even skating his best.

Didn't we say the same things about Czisny for the last two or three years? Her chance was 06 and she blew it? Tell that to 2011.

judgejudy27
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Didn't we say the same things about Czisny for the last two or three years? Her chance was 06 and she blew it? Tell that to 2009 and 2011.

Czisny's comeback was nice but she is 23, not 26, and she is competing in what has turned into an abysmal ladies field all of a sudden which just saw Miki Ando win the World title with performances that wouldnt have won a World title in any year since 1990 or Olympic medal since 1992. Abbott would be starting a "comeback" at 26, an age nearly all skaters are retired from amateur skating, in an insane field that is led by Chan and now even Kozuka setting World record scores. And even Czisny did not medal at Worlds and probably never will now (this year was her her best chance).

The U.S is surely looking for a man to get on the Worlds podium sometime again. I dont know if they have anyone who will do that anytime soon, but it does make sense to look at the younger ones like Dornbush and Rippon first, not someone who will be nearly 30 by the time of the next Olympics and whose stock is already falling despite that he isnt even skating that badly right now.

MR-FAN
05-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone seriously think he could ever be competitive with the likes of Chan or Kozuka in the future even skating his best.

Heeeeeeells yeah!

AliasJohnDoe
05-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Heeeeeeells yeah!

I second that "Heeeeeeells yeah"!!!

Triple Butz
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Czisny's comeback was nice but she is 23, not 26, and she is competing in what has turned into an abysmal ladies field all of a sudden which just saw Miki Ando win the World title with performances that wouldnt have won a World title in any year since 1990 or Olympic medal since 1992. Abbott would be starting a "comeback" at 26, an age nearly all skaters are retired from amateur skating, in an insane field that is led by Chan and now even Kozuka setting World record scores. And even Czisny did not medal at Worlds and probably never will now (this year was her her best chance).

The U.S is surely looking for a man to get on the Worlds podium sometime again. I dont know if they have anyone who will do that anytime soon, but it does make sense to look at the younger ones like Dornbush and Rippon first, not someone who will be nearly 30 by the time of the next Olympics and whose stock is already falling despite that he isnt even skating that badly right now.

Considering Gachinski made the podium this year, I think the bronze was wide open and with an extra month to train, Abbott certainly had a shot. Rippon would have, too.

bek
05-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Didn't we say the same things about Czisny for the last two or three years? Her chance was 06 and she blew it? Tell that to 2011.

Do you really think Alissa will ever be competitive technically with Kim or the Russian wonderbabies-nope. But in the case of Alissa, she had to make some significant changes, and start skating consistently before the USFSA would ever give her the scores again. But long term its the younger ones.

Given how much Alissa as improved its pretty darn clear her problem was coaching. The same cannot be said for Abbott, who has had more than one coach and is clearly a headcase. In the case of Abbott given he's 26, one wonders how much more pounding his body can take. So once again long term do you really think Abbott is a better bet than Dornbush, I don't. Eventually federations cut their loses. If a skater fails to deliver over and over again. This being said I think the USFSA should have never given Bradley the scores and should have sent Abbott regardless-this year.

Considering Gachinski made the podium this year, I think the bronze was wide open and with an extra month to train, Abbott certainly had a shot. Rippon would have, too.

That would have required Rippon to land some 3 axel and Abbott not falling several times. Sure these things could happen, but the chances of that happening under the pressure of worlds....

Asking Rippon to get his 3 axels in order and Abbott not to bomb, is sort of like the Japanese federation expecting Oda to learn how to count at a major competition. Sure it could happen and once in a while may, but at this point history isn't on any of the sides. Eventually federations cut their loses, and go with others. Watch the Japanese fed start backing Hanyu over Oda . The Japanese federation would be idiots not too.

Jammers
05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Rippon can't even land a triple axel anymore.