PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 08:17 PM
If there was any year for US Figure Skating to send the young ones out, it was this one. Dornbush and Miner are the future of US Figure Skating.

Dornbush, maybe.

Miner seems to impersonate mediocrity, though. Sorry. ;P

SLIVER
05-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Nah not crying over Abbott at all, just the principle of it...And let me tell you Dornbush and Miner will do very well to achieve half of what Abbott has or become anywhere near as good. Personally I don't see it happening with either...

Carolla5501
05-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Technically, the medical professional is allowed access to that which you provide. If I don't tell you that I have been at clinic xyz or doctor z has diagnosed me with xyz, you don't have the right to go searching all medical databases to find out what I have or have not told you about my medical conditions.

And the medical professionals treating you do not have the right to disclose anything that you don't want disclosed. No one except me or in my child's case (them and me) is allowed to have access to my information unless I have authorized it.

Well. yes and no.

if you come into the hospital ER and have been there before then the record is accessible. Now you are right, that does not mean they can "rummage" and for that reason most systems actually "lock" somethings. (For example, the nurse in OB can't see your info from your inpatient stay for depression) However, they can't start calling around town to see where else you have been treated etc.

But realistically if you show up bleeding in the ER they are going to look for "conditions" that might be something to consider (allergies, recent surgery etc...) and you would probably want them to be able to see that...Making them "hunt in the dark' only delays your treatment.

But we are WAY off topic here :) (And if someone asked me "should I give USFSA access to my kids Medical Record I would say NO! Unless they can give you a HIPAA privacy statement indicating how they protect, what they use etc....which I somehow doubt! And if the statement said something like "we will use your info for press releases to make people on internet message boards happy" :eek: LOL!)

Triple Butz
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
People are still crying over Abbott? :rolleyes: If there was any year for US Figure Skating to send the young ones out, it was this one. Dornbush and Miner are the future of US Figure Skating. Abbott? Been there, done that, failed to deliver. :blah:

You really think Ross Miner is the future of US skating?

I don't know whether to :rofl: or :scream:

Ross is a nice kid, but if a style-master like Mark Mitchell can't inject some personality into him or fix his rounded shoulders after several years...it ain't going to happen.

BittyBug
05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
At least Ross lands his jumps. :P

Cheylana
05-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Slutskaya was already 2 time Euro Champion and World medal winner so the comparison doesnt work but I do hope you're right!
How does the comparison not work? The point is that being left off a World team doesn't mean your career is over. Irina wasn't without her critics at that time, and I recall commentators were saying that the puberty monster hit her hard and would be the death knell for her career. But Irina worked hard the following season and made a big comeback.

But ok, how about Jeff Buttle - wasn't he left off the 2004 World team? And he came back and won Worlds silver the following year. And then Olympic bronze. And then World gold. :)

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM

And he still wasn't able to place top 10, despite of that. :P

Triple Butz
05-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Wasn't that the same thing they said about Mroz over two years ago? At least he has a quad. Future of US skating, indeed.

:blah:

VIETgrlTerifa
05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
The negative attitudes towards Abbott's record make me happy that Jeffrey Buttle skated for Canada. Maybe, Abbott may have a magical Worlds the way Buttle did in 2008. We know Abbott CAN skate clean...his 2010 Nationals performances was probably the best (or at least in the top 3) performance by a male skater that season.

I'm not saying Abbott should be entitled to a spot at Worlds, but those scores at Nationals for Bradley were really ridiculous and I really didn't see any reason why there's a difference in the situation when the USFS decided to send Meissner in 2008 over Hacker with the Abbott situation where he lost to Miner by .18.

Oh well, this might be the best thing for Abbott because he gets to recover from his numerous boot issues, bleach his hair, and hang-out for a bit longer and relax before the next season where people will hold their breaths and hope he proves the nay-sayers wrong (though not expecting it) while his critics will be skeptical until the LP at Worlds (if Abbott qualifies).

Jammers
05-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Problem is for Abbott is he's going to be 26 this year and he doesn't have many years left. Even with Jeremy at Worlds most likely the US loses 1 spot for next year. As for Rippon he better start landing his jumps or the kids will overtake him.

Sylvia
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Jammers, you have such a positive outlook in so many of your posts. ;)

I highly doubt the US will go down to one men's spot at Worlds no matter which 2 guys end up competing in Nice next year (ETA: I just realized you meant if Abbott had competed in Moscow... well we'll never know, will we?)

Abbott may have more left in him than you think, particularly since he only started competing on the Senior Grand Prix in the fall of 2007. I also think Rippon knows exactly what he needs to do (besides land his jumps) in order to be competitive with the talented youngsters. Go USA men! :cheer:

centerpt1
05-06-2011, 11:57 PM
When just a fan (like me) sees a result like Bradleys marks at Nationals -as compared to his usual international scores- it gives the impression of a put up job. It looks bad. It makes me think "Who would benefit by his win?" "Who set up this fake feel good comeback story" Skating has spent years trying to get fans to think things are not "fixed". This just sets skating in the US back. Now, I believe that's not true- the judges were just misguided. But the thought is still there.

Then the World team.
Abbott and Mroz medaled at both their GP events. Abbott medaled at 4CC. Rippon also medaled on the GP. All these men have had top 10 finishes at Worlds.
Yet none of these 3 was on the World team. Not a one.

Don't get me wrong- I don't believe any of our men are top 3 Worlds material right now. But there has to be a way to get our top international guys and gals on our Worlds team.

PDilemma
05-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Don't get me wrong- I don't believe any of our men are top 3 Worlds material right now. But there has to be a way to get the top international guys and gals on our Worlds team.

I think the problem is that no one is head and shoulders above the rest. Like them or not, when Nationals featured Sasha and Michelle (or back a bit further Michelle and Tara circa 1997 and 98) against everyone else, they stood out above the field and were consistently placing on the World team without any need for manipulation of results. Sure, there may have been arguments over who was in what spot, but not over the two of them making the team.

Now there just isn't anyone standing above the field. Using ladies, not men's--arguments can be (and have been made here over and over) for Rachael or Mirai being named to the team based on this year's Nats. Neither has stood out enough to make the spot automatic. And no one else has either.

Yazmeen
05-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Only one thing has kept Jeremy Abbott from being on the world team, from world medals, hell, from an Olympic medal, and that one thing is Jeremy himself.

Sorry but I just don't see the "magic" because as soon as he screws up the jumps he gets the deer in headlights look and the air goes out of the program. Is he a better skater than Ryan, Richard or Ross? Yes, at this time, but he doesn't bring it when it counts most. I was glad to finally see USFS NOT hold him up. He hasn't proved himself at Worlds yet, he didn't deserve breaks to try nd do so again this year.

stjeaskategym
05-07-2011, 12:40 AM
He hasn't proved himself at Worlds yet, he didn't deserve breaks to try nd do so again this year.

He was 5th last year. And finished top 10 at the Olympics with a bad performance. Where did Miner finish this year with perfect skates? :rolleyes: Our 3 guys had respectable finishes, but we didn't try to send our best team there... That's what's frustrating to me.