PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Carolla5501
05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Ryan Bradley skated with a broken bone at last year's Worlds, Joshua Farris also finished his LP at Sr Nationals on a broken ankle...all Tom Z students. I never was a big fan of Rachael Flatt, but I'm sorry this is how her last Worlds outing would end.

Ryan's injury was public knowledge.. USFSA could have "pulled him"

Now, for all we know USFSA knew about Rachel's injury too. They generally seem to let the skater and his/her team make the decision to skate or not skate.

(I realize that Phil Hersh says is now being quoted which has me :lol: When folks don't like what he says he's horrid and now he's a good source... I don't think Phil's interview with one person is exactly "conclusive" )

yunasashafan
05-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Didn't Rachael also skate injured at the GPF?

RockTheTassel
05-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Didn't Rachael also skate injured at the GPF?

Yes (she was fighting tendonitis), and it went about as well as Worlds went for her. That's what makes me angry with Rachael's team. They already knew from prior events of the season that she couldn't compete well with that kind of an injury.

Rottie
05-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Why wouldn't first alternates, or for that matter all alternates, get visas just in case? After all, being an alternate means possibly having to make the trip on short notice.

Triple Butz
05-01-2011, 01:03 AM
If the injury was indeed aggravated after the SP, there is nothing the USFSA could have done to get another skater there. I think it likely she thought she could manage just like Michelle thought she could do it in Torino. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Only the person on the ice knows.

It was not aggravated in the sp, it had been nagging for quite some time. In the interview right after her sp, she said she was contemplating replacing the lutz with a loop. Team Flatt let the USA down big time by not carefully monitoring Rachael's health and making sure she was fit to compete in a world championships. If this doesn't end the ridiculous love affair that the USFSA has with Rachael and Tom Z I don't know what will. I lost a lot of respect for Tom and Rachael over this championship and I didn't have much respect for them to begin with. The way they handled this competition was downright embarrassing.

ioana
05-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Now, for all we know USFSA knew about Rachel's injury too. They generally seem to let the skater and his/her team make the decision to skate or not skate.

Yup, that was my point. Tom Z has a pretty long history of making questionable decisions when it comes to his skaters 'playing hurt.'

SkateFan66
05-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Evan Lysacek won the 2009 World Championships with a stress fracture to his left foot. The foot began bothering him after 4CC and was diagnosed shortly before the WC.

IceAlisa
05-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Evan Lysacek won the 2009 World Championships with a stress fracture to his left foot. The foot began bothering him after 4CC and was diagnosed shortly before the WC.

Well, one fracture isn't like the other, innit...

rfisher
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Xue Shen was injured when she won a World's championship. IIRC, it was her foot or ankle. MK competed with a stress fx in her foot.

IceAlisa
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Xue Shen was injured when she won a World's championship. IIRC, it was her foot or ankle. MK competed with a stress fx in her foot.

Like I said:

Well, one fracture isn't like the other, innit...

RD
05-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Well, it's not so much that you competed injured, but you competed with an injury that clearly had a strong negative effect on your performance?

Vagabond
05-01-2011, 02:43 AM
How would the U.S.'s spots for next year have been determined if she had withdrawn after the SP?

http://www5.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-202745-219968-166758-0-file,00.pdf

Championships Single & Pair Skating & Ice Dance and Preliminary Rounds

However the Competitors who withdrew because of:
- illness or injury, (provided this illness or injury is certified by the ISU Medical Advisor) or
- unexpected damage to the equipment during the warm up or the performance (provided this damage of the equipment is certified by the Referee), are not considered as entered for the purpose of this Rule in the following cases:
i) Competitors who were assigned to the Preliminary Round, but did not start it;
ii) Competitors who did not start or finish the Short Program/Original (Short) Dance, but were among the top ten (10) in the Preliminary Round;
iii) Competitors who did not start or finish the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were among the top ten (10) in the Short Program/Original (Short) Dance.

Since Flatt finished eighth in the Short Program, spots for next year would have been assigned as if Czisny had been the only American entrant: three spots for a Top Two finish, two spots if she finished elsewhere in the Top Ten, one spot if she finished eleventh or lower.

LilJen
05-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Ummm...timing is a real consideration here. It's not as if Mirai could have obtained a visa and jumped on a plane from California to Russia overnight. If this happened Friday, there was no way she could have replaced Rachel. If Rachel withdrew, we'd have had only one skater. Unless there's a physician's report that states otherwise,meaning this occurred over a week ago, Rachel was pretty gutsy to skate and try to get that 3rd spot. She knew exactly what was at stake.

Well, a stress fracture doesn't happen overnight. It's one of those things that develops over time, so she HAS to have been in pain for quite a while. Enough pain to see a doctor. What would have been the REALLY sportsmanlike thing to do (and I commented on this in the PBP thread) is for Rachael's people to be in touch with Mirai's people (and perhaps those of the second and third alternates) putting them on alert that there might have been a problem and alternates may very well be needed. (And USFS could have been kept in the loop as well, so they could have visa issues taken care of ahead of time.) This is what happened with Evan & Jeremy in 2008 so that Jeremy had a sufficient heads-up that Evan might have to withdraw.

Flying Camel
05-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Rachael said she only found out last Friday that she had a stress fracture. I don't think that was enough time for them to fly in Mirai. Who knows if she was still training. Athletes compete injured all the time. It's unfortunate but it happens. I feel bad for Rachael. This was suuppose to be her big year as a skater, but she had nothing but trouble. Maybe she should take a year off and be a student.

Made4Dancin
05-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Why wouldn't first alternates, or for that matter all alternates, get visas just in case? After all, being an alternate means possibly having to make the trip on short notice.
Yeah I don't understand that either. Are we 100% sure they don't do that? Why would you even have an alternate if they couldn't get to the venue because they didn't have the documents ready?