PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

mtnskater
05-06-2011, 04:02 PM
They also treated Johnny Weir this way and I suspect will do the same to Rippon. Both had or have world champion potential but USFS needs to back them, promote them and try to foster their prospects, not throw them to the wolves when they have a bad outing at US Nationals. Mirai is in this category too.

Cheylana
05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
And I would like to add that the USFSA has probably damaged Abbott's rep abroad by making him miss Worlds.
Slutskaya finished fourth at 1999 Russian Nationals and missed Worlds that year, but came back to win GPF and a Worlds silver medal the following year. Didn't seem to hurt her any. Hopefully Jeremy can achieve a similar kind of comeback.

They also treated Johnny Weir this way and I suspect will do the same to Rippon. Both had or have world champion potential but USFS needs to back them, promote them and try to foster their prospects, not throw them to the wolves when they have a bad outing at US Nationals. Mirai is in this category too.
Adam missed not one, but two elements in his short program. What were the judges supposed to do, ignore those giant mistakes? I was in Greensboro and Adam was heavily featured in the Jumbotron fluff pieces and other promotional stuff. I think USFS expected him to fight for gold but he did not. step. up this time around. Crossing my fingers for next year.

I do think that, after the successes of Evan, the USFS wants to back another Evan, i.e., a non-headcase skater. Someone who has a good head for competition and stays mentally focused, even if said person is not necessarily the most naturally talented skater evaaah. Not someone who has the "it" factor in spades but in competition makes everyone :wall: That's the only reason I can think of why they put Rachael over Mirai at Nationals.

mtnskater
05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
We aren't asking the USFS to manipulate results at Nationals. Only that the world team be based upon more than just U.S. Nationals results. Although I do think US Nationals judges are often crazy when it comes to marking PCS...and often don't seem to comport with how international judges mark the same skaters on PCS. Regarding Adam, he fits the mold of how the scoring seems to go at US Nationals, miss a couple of jumps and your PCS plummets, even if that mark should really be higher as Adam has devine skating skills, spins, etc. (as does Abbott and Mirai) as opposed to Bradley and Flatt.

RD
05-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree...but the flip side of the coin is that USFS would have to be VERY careful to not appear to be biased in the selection process. I think the real problem is lack of true depth in the field. In a truly deep field, sending the top 2 (or 3) at nats is the fairest thing to do.

Louise
05-06-2011, 06:22 PM
As always, it comes down to the second mark. And USN is notorious for overinflating the second mark for 'solid' skaters who deliver their best but are leagues below the better skaters who falter. The complexity in Abbott's program was bar none, yet Bradley gets higher PCS? Bradley is just a show skater with little to his programs except mugging to the audience. Great. Give him high marks for interp, but for darn sure give Abbott the highest PCS. Most people only see competitions on tv, I'm there most of the time. It is CLEAR who are the better skaters, and it has always tripped me up when the inferior skater who 'wins' the crowd gets lauded by the judges with the PCS. Rippon is mesmerizing live. Dornbush? Neh. I can't even remember who the third guy who went to worlds was. And that says something. But I know Abbott's program like my right hand, because it was so interesting.
I really wish that Flatt had made better choices with her music and choreo, because she's not a BAD skater. East of Eden was like having a heart attack on a gin bender. You felt bad, but numb to it all. And a little bit nauseous. Who is counselling her on her programs? Even without the injuries it was a mess. Poor Agnes needs to leave that one bedroom apartment and go to a training center that will make her a thousand times better. I love ColoSpgs in the winter but it's not a star-maker.
Anyway, this is about her injury. I think it's her last worlds, and she knew it was her last worlds. She had many 'slights' by the USFS so I don't begrudge her going for her sake and not USFS's. She'll be successful in everything she does, so we need not worry that she won't get Skate America or something. She'll be getting a 4.0 with PChem and Micro already under her belt.

RFOS
05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Abbott DID get higher PCS than Bradley for every component mark in both the SP and FS at Nationals, except for a tie for P&E in the free skate. In both the SP and FS, Abbott scored nearly a point and a half higher for transitions in the overall averages, and not a single judge gave Bradley higher than Abbott for SS, TR, or CH in either program (though there were a few ties).

Triple Butz
05-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Abbott DID get higher PCS than Bradley for every component mark in both the SP and FS at Nationals, except for a tie for P&E in the free skate. In both the SP and FS, Abbott scored nearly a point and a half higher for transitions in the overall averages, and not a single judge gave Bradley higher than Abbott for SS, TR, or CH in either program (though there were a few ties).

And the point is, there should have been at least a ten point difference in PCS overall, if not more. And no, I'm not exaggerating. If the camera cut out below Bradley's knees, I wouldn't even know he was skating. I'd probably think he was a comedian with a bad back doing stand-up.

numbers123
05-06-2011, 07:24 PM
An ER doctor, or other medical professional, can access your medical information to provide treatment... (HIPPA is not designed to endanger you)

The hospital, physicain, clinic etc can access the medical record for purposes of obtaining payment.

Technically, the medical professional is allowed access to that which you provide. If I don't tell you that I have been at clinic xyz or doctor z has diagnosed me with xyz, you don't have the right to go searching all medical databases to find out what I have or have not told you about my medical conditions.

And the medical professionals treating you do not have the right to disclose anything that you don't want disclosed. No one except me or in my child's case (them and me) is allowed to have access to my information unless I have authorized it.

RFOS
05-06-2011, 07:28 PM
And the point is, there should have been at least a ten point difference in PCS overall, if not more. And no, I'm not exaggerating. If the camera cut out below Bradley's knees, I wouldn't even know he was skating. I'd probably think he was a comedian with a bad back doing stand-up.

:rofl:

The overall difference in PCS score between the two programs was 9.84, which is pretty close to 10, and I won't disagree that it maybe should've been more than that, but Louise's post stated that Bradley scored higher for PCS than Abbott, which is completely untrue.

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 07:31 PM
And I would like to add that the USFSA has probably damaged Abbott's rep abroad by making him miss Worlds. He is out of the judges consciousness, not seen as a contender all year. ISU were already not giving him massive marks because he is inconsistent, not coming to Worlds will not help for next year, unless he starts next season off with a complete bang and arrives in Nice with a string of strong results, his pcs will be impacted.

Very good point!

Politically, Abbott has really suffered because of this.

ITA!

Bradley's basics were always weak and they were even weaker this season, probably because of the time he took off. He wasn't in the best shape and was really slow.

Louise
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I take that back. I was incorrect. But when you see the complexity of an Abbott program versus the, hmmm, hackness of a Bradley program you see such a difference that even a few missed jumps should not matter. I'm glad Abbott scored higher, thank god. I don't understand his missing Worlds though. He's absolutely the best male skater we have in the US. What's the point in holding him back for that (I think) blonde who placed third? How does that help USFS to deny him Worlds?

Triple Butz
05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
:rofl:

The overall difference in PCS score between the two programs was 9.84, which is pretty close to 10, and I won't disagree that it maybe should've been more than that, but Louise's post stated that Bradley scored higher for PCS than Abbott, which is completely untrue.

I meant ten points in EACH program.

SLIVER
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Cheylana;3173799]Slutskaya finished fourth at 1999 Russian Nationals and missed Worlds that year, but came back to win GPF and a Worlds silver medal the following year. Didn't seem to hurt her any. Hopefully Jeremy can achieve a similar kind of comeback.

Slutskaya was already 2 time Euro Champion and World medal winner so the comparison doesnt work but I do hope you're right!

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Slutskaya was already 2 time Euro Champion and World medal winner so the comparison doesnt work but I do hope you're right!

And Junior World Champion too. Plus she was extremely memorable, had a very identifiable perky style and became an iconic skater in the end.

BittyBug
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
People are still crying over Abbott? :rolleyes: If there was any year for US Figure Skating to send the young ones out, it was this one. Dornbush and Miner are the future of US Figure Skating. Abbott? Been there, done that, failed to deliver. :blah: