PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Vagabond
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
According to Phil Hersh's blog, the physician is affiliated with the Olympic Training Center. Presumably, he has some affiliation with both the USFSA and the USOC. These sports bodies are entitled to know how their doctors are treating their patients and whether skaters and their coaches are following doctors' recommendations.

I expect that, as part of the investigation, the USFSA will review Flatt's medical file and, possibly, interview the physician.

Cheylana
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
According to Phil Hersh's blog, the physician is affiliated with the Olympic Training Center. Presumably, he has some affiliation with both the USFSA and the USOC. These sports bodies are entitled to know how their doctors are treating their patients and whether skaters and their coaches are following doctors' recommendations.

I expect that, as part of the investigation, the USFSA will review Flatt's medical file and, possibly, interview the physician.
Dunno.... All of this strongly implicates HIPAA, doctor-patient confidentiality, etc. I think if there is responsibility to disclose, it belongs with Team Flatt, not the doctor.

IceAlisa
05-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Dunno.... All of this strongly implicates HIPAA, doctor-patient confidentiality, etc. I think if there is responsibility to disclose, it belongs with Team Flatt, not the doctor.

Absolutely. And I do hope Rachael does disclose. No one has a right to look at her records or question the doc (that is, they could question but s/he cannot answer). But if Rachael signs a release form specifying whom to talk to and what topics to cover, that would allow the doc to communicate. Or Rachael could just say it herself.

Vagabond
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Absolutely. And I do hope Rachael does disclose. No one has a right to look at her records or question the doc. But if Rachael signs a release form specifying who to talk to and what topics to cover, that would allow the doc to communicate. Or Rachael could just say it herself.

I was thinking about that before I posted.

Flatt may already have had to sign a confidentiality waiver at some point, perhaps as a condition for receiving USFSA funding. The fact that her physician is affiliated with the Olympic Training Center suggests (but may not establish) that she has signed such a waiver.

Does anyone know what the USFSA's rules are in this regard?

Maximillian
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, I do appreciate that at least USFS is being consistent and upholds a clear and transparent standard.

I would however make one crucial amendment to it:

US Nationals should decide who goes to 4CC.

But 4CC should decide who goes to Worlds (or at least the second/third spot).

Why?

Because it's different to perform abroad and it's different to perform at home.

Because international judges are going to mark you VERY DIFFERENTLY from national judges (I mean we all agree that US, Canadian and Russian Nationals judging is ridiculous).

This. Spot on and Brilliant!

floskate
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Flatt may already have had to sign a confidentiality waiver at some point, perhaps as a condition for receiving USFSA funding. The fact that her physician is affiliated with the Olympic Training Center suggests (but may not establish) that she has signed such a waiver.

This is what I'd like to know. Does the USFSA have some kind of a clause that states that any World team member funded by the federation should inform them of any injury issues that may affect their ability to perform at the said competition?

Aceon6
05-04-2011, 04:59 PM

I think you mean HIPAA waiver, and yes, one would expect that skaters would have to sign one to allow release of medical information to their coaches and to USFS.

berthesghost
05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, comparing a cheesfest to a world championship may not be the best example. All I'm saying is that usually when things go well we're like: Wow, she did all that while being injured. And now we're all like: she stole the place of someone else.Yeah, the whole Mirai aspect is exacerbating the problem, but...

it's not always so black and white. Some people still have a problem with Lipinski not disclosing her injuries before the Olys, and really judging by how she skated in Nagano alone, you'd never know she had a serious "career ending" injury.

Lots of skaters do skate injured when perhaps they shouldn't, but there are also many many examples of skaters who gave up a lot not to risk serious harm: Randy Gardner in Lake Placid comes to mind. I'm sure there were some who were pushing for him to skate anyways and hope for a silver, bronze, or even a top 5 finish, but he and Nicks chose his safety as the top priority.

So beyond the whole Mirai issue, I don't think one can dismiss the "is Tom Z potentially pushing his skaters into unhealthy situations?" aspect of this so easily.

Vagabond
05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I think you mean HIPAA waiver, and yes, one would expect that skaters would have to sign one to allow release of medical information to their coaches and to USFS.

If I am not mistaken, HIPAA applies to medical records but not to communications between physician and patient (except insofar as the communications are reported in the records). I would expect the USFSA to require its elite skaters to waive not only their rights under HIPAA but also their privilege to keep physician-patient communications confidential.

Mevrouw
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
We don't all agree that marking at all named Nationals is always ridiculous. One skater who won gold got higher scores than at their nationals.

By the way, a minor point:

trooper = lowest ranked soldier in a cavalry unit

trouper = member of an acting company. Thus someone who carries on in the face of difficulty is a trouper as in "the show MUST go on".

Carolla5501
05-04-2011, 06:06 PM
If I am not mistaken, HIPAA applies to medical records but not to communications between physician and patient (except insofar as the communications are reported in the records). I would expect the USFSA to require its elite skaters to waive not only their rights under HIPAA but also their privilege to keep physician-patient communications confidential.

HIPAA covers medical record and all other communications regarding your medical condition.

I can't imagine USFSA requiring this or, if I were the parent of a minor, me signing said waiver.

USFSA may have a right to know about an injury but I fail to see where they need the skater's Medical history etc....

I can see a skater and/or parent allowing the physician to discuss a SPECIFIC medical condition with someone within USFSA assuming they have SOME type of privacy controls.

I wonder if this thread would be NEAR as long if it wasn't Rachel... a skater FSU loves to "hate"

Aceon6
05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I can't imagine USFSA requiring this or, if I were the parent of a minor, me signing said waiver.

Well, the kids have to have a Medical Information document authorizing the rink/coach to get medical attention for anyone injured on a session. Having that isn't of any use if the adult acting in loco parentis doesn't also have authority to get the medical information relevant at the time. I would imagine the two go hand in hand.

Cheylana
05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, the kids have to have a Medical Information document authorizing the rink/coach to get medical attention for anyone injured on a session. Having that isn't of any use if the adult acting in loco parentis doesn't also have authority to get the medical information relevant at the time. I would imagine the two go hand in hand.
I don't think ER doctors routinely go rummaging through people's medical files before they treat a patient. I'm sorry but no way would I give anyone carte blanche to raid my medical files or grill my doctors whenever they feel like it.

Aceon6
05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think ER doctors routinely go rummaging through people's medical files before they treat a patient. I'm sorry but no way would I give anyone carte blanche to raid my medical files or grill my doctors whenever they feel like it.

Actually, the HIPAA release is quite specific as to purpose and the nature of the records to be released. If you want to give someone access to all your records, you have to write it in, as it's not a standard part of the form.

Cheylana
05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Actually, the HIPAA release is quite specific as to purpose and the nature of the records to be released. If you want to give someone access to all your records, you have to write it in, as it's not a standard part of the form.
I hope Rachael will not be pressured into giving the USFS consent to examine any part of her medical records, whether as part of their investigation or otherwise.