PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Loves_Shizuka
05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
^I do think there's some truth to that. Also, don't skaters/athletes compete injured ALL THE TIME?! OK, Maybe this one was quite serious, but still, she's not the first skater to do this - it just didn't work out for her.

I know there's a big thing about spots in the US (heck, this conversation gets dragged into enough threads) but this is an indiviudual sport, yes, with team consequences. I do wonder if we were in the same position, if we'd be so quick to give our place at a world championship away. Alot of us seem to be the "bigger person" in this thread.

Whilst I do agree that in hindsight, Rachael and her team really should have gone about this differently (I'm not really defending or supporting her and her team on this one; I'm just responding to some posts in here - I am NO fan of Tom Z. at all, and would like to see some kind of appropriate response from the USFSA) I can understand how her positive, competitive mentality probably convinced her to push-on through the pain and that somehow, when it came down to it, her competitive adrenalin would kick in; but it was a gamble that clearly failed.

MR-FAN
05-04-2011, 07:26 AM
If the girls' roles had been reversed, if it had been Mirai who skated hurt and Rachael who didn't get the call, would we be having this same discussion? I bet people would be praising Mirai for her bravery and courage and "toughing it out."

Yeah. And I don't remember any outcry over Ryan skating with a broken foot last worlds either.

I'm not a fan of Flatt. At all. But a lady who went through what must have been a humbling and devastating worlds doesn't deserve all this hatred for the mere fact that Nagasu is so loved (don't fool yourselves, you may want to believe your feelings are based on principle, but they're not)

Rachael skated injured before and delivered great performances. I'm sure she believed she can pull it off, and she didn't. Others who weren't injured and were 100% prepared had worse showings. Noone can predict what will happen in this sport. Much as I love Mirai, she lost her spot with her Nationals LP performance.

Mayra
05-04-2011, 07:41 AM
If the girls' roles had been reversed, if it had been Mirai who skated hurt and Rachael who didn't get the call, would we be having this same discussion? I bet people would be praising Mirai for her bravery and courage and "toughing it out."

Mirai got a lot of flack during the 2008-2009 season from her coach and the media for skating while injured during the GP series. It was later revealed by Charlene Wong that Mirai had competed against her wishes and that the decision to compete had come from Mirai and her family. There was quite a brouhaha over it IIRC.

She had a rough go of it at Nationals, and did in fact "tough it out" to earn a spot on the Junior World team. She also later withdrew from JW as a result of the same inury. :shuffle:

Sasha'sSpins
05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Joshua Farris 2011 U.S. Nationals Free Skate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlz84B7pvL0)

:yikes: :( :mad:

The guy can skate. I hope he keeps competing.

Awww (((Joshua))). That was hard to watch. Awkward K&C-Tom looked surprized (and embarassed) by Joshua's answer. He looked the real fool. That kid has real talent, he's so very young still and I'm glad he ran for the hills and left Tom zzzzz. His other students should run for the hills too, before it's too late. :scream:

Sasha'sSpins
05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
The more I learn regarding what's quickly seems to becoming TomGate the angrier I get. :mad:

Marco
05-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah. And I don't remember any outcry over Ryan skating with a broken foot last worlds either.

Ryan was also coached by Mr Z.

Rachael skated injured before and delivered great performances.

Please enlighten me. As far as I know, the only two times she admitted to have competed while injured were GPF and Worlds this season. Which one did you consider 'great'? :shuffle:

Come to think of it, who was 1st alternate for GPF?

kwanfan1818
05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
If USFS had any balls, they'd develop and publish selection criteria that included current season international results and prior World's that would give them some wiggle room on the #2 and #3 spots.
They already have this. That was the basis on which Weir complained about being left off the World team in 2009, having won a World bronze the year before, one of the criteria in USFS' policy.

Mirai is something else! :rofl:
They may have won the short-term ballet -- Rachael went and 'skated' at Worlds -- but likely lost the war --
That's a wonderful typo.

Come to think of it, who was 1st alternate for GPF?
Korpi, followed by Nagasu and Wagner.

Ziggy
05-04-2011, 09:08 AM
They already have this. That was the basis on which Weir complained about being left off the World team in 2009, having won a World bronze the year before, one of the criteria in USFS' policy.

Why do they never use it then?

I mean sending Miner over Abbott because of 0.19?

Triple Butz
05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

SERIOUSLY. They are idiots.

brightphoton
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Jeremy Abbott is a headcase. He probably would've scored just as poorly as the rest of the American men's team.

Frau Muller
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
That's a wonderful typo......

Unintended hilarity!!! ;)

newbatgirl
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Didn't Miner and Dornbush end up placing higher than Bradley anyways? In that case, do we have to make the case that we should have left the champion home?

my little pony
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
^I do think there's some truth to that. Also, don't skaters/athletes compete injured ALL THE TIME?! OK, Maybe this one was quite serious, but still, she's not the first skater to

I agree that most world class athletes have competed at less than 100% at some point. However, if he or she chooses to compete, they should accept the results and not blame the injury when it doesnt go well. If you were healthy enough to compete, or so you thought, dont whine about it afterwards.

Thais
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I think it would be a dangerous thing to diminish the importance of the US nationals results. The USFS probably wants to make it clear to everyone that this results are the one that matters, thus all the pressure built in this competition. Of course, it may not always insure that the best overall season US skaters go further, but it shuts up all those that don't see figure skating as a sport with distinct criteria selection. I can already hear people say: in athletics we have this criteria; in swimming we have this criteria so why can't figure skating act like a real sport?!? :rolleyes:

As for Rachel case… I'm surprised by the tone of Mirai's coach. I think Mirai should have focused on getting it right at the nationals. All in all, talking about what a certain skater might have done has he/she been at the competition is pure speculation, and I don't think it's good to base any judgment on this.
However, Rachel decision to go on, even though injured, isn't quite surprising. I think most athletes would've decided to do so. I just hope people won't say she did it out of stubbornness and/or selfishness. She seems a pretty nice girl and I'm sure she just did what she thought was best at the given time.

Aceon6
05-04-2011, 12:50 PM

I think my key word was publish as in developing a criterion and making it available to skaters and coaches. If they're never going to use the options, say so. If they plan to use them, publish the weighting for prior year's Worlds, current year's GP and 4CCs. Now would be the time to develop a formula and not wait until 2013 when getting the maximum number of Olympic spots will be the goal.