PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

FSWer
05-04-2011, 03:28 AM
From what I've been reading, Rachael has been in considerable pain for some time, some are speculating as far back as GPF.

She/her team says that on Friday, April 22 they found out that she has a stress fracture of the right tibia. Even though she was in quite a bit of pain and discomfort, she proceeded with the competition. And the result is widely known.

So we are here questioning the wisdom of a couple of things:

1. Not considering alerting the alternate, Mirai.
2. Not WD upon receiving the diagnosis.

Ok. I'd say that as LONG as there's NOTHING in the Rulebook...Then the Girl is over 18 GDM. If she can skate...let her. It just shows we have a trooper.

IceAlisa
05-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Ok. I'd say that as LONG as there's NOTHING in the Rulebook...Then the Girl is over 18 GDM. If she can skate...let her. It just shows we have a trooper.

Actually, she could not skate if you look at both of her programs and placement. That's the whole problem.

She/her team had overestimated her ability to perform with this injury. This decision not only affected her own skating career but denied Mirai her rightful place as an alternate and very likely cost us the 3 spots.

AliasJohnDoe
05-04-2011, 03:44 AM

Trooper? :blah:

A trooper "might" skate at Nationals injured for their own self-satisfaction. But not at an international competition where team spots are at stake and alternates are ready.

chipso1
05-04-2011, 03:46 AM
I believe last fall, Tom said he hoped to continue to work with Rachael in some capacity when she goes off to Stanford. I doubt that's going to happen now...Rachael has got to be aware of the backlash this caused, and I wouldn't be surprised if she disassociates herself with him as soon as possible. She has got to get away from him!

Sasha'sSpins
05-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Mirai taking a subtle jab at Rachael? ;)

http://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu
Coincidence: I'm going home the same day everyone from worlds is...and I had just as much fun as them!:)

I doubt it, Mirai does not do subtle.

Agreed. Mirai always seems to speak her mind quite spontaneously. :)

Sasha'sSpins
05-04-2011, 04:08 AM
This is the kind of analysis that USFS should do when selecting the world team. I'm still smoldering about the Flatt fiasco and USFS asleep at the wheel. Frank Carroll's comments about Mirai's readiness too are really adding fuel to the fire for me.

ITA. And to those who seemed to have suggested that Frank was 'talking up' Mirai I very much doubt it. Frank speaks his mind, either for or against his skaters-the man pulls no punches when it comes to his athletes who he feels aren't putting in the necessary work ie., (Bowman, Nagasu), but he's also quick to praise, and defend his athletes when he feels it's warranted (Kwan, Fratianne). Jmo.

Flatfoote
05-04-2011, 04:10 AM
I literally cringed when she reported on TV that she had a stress fracture of the right tibia. She's lucky her leg didn't snap on one of her landings. I know, that sounds dramatic. But last year at the drum corps World Championships, a member of one of the top corps went down when his leg snapped in one of the closing moves. He planted his foot to change direction in the high-velocity drill he was performing, and his leg just snapped. He tried 3 or 4 times to get back up, couldn't, and finally some staff members had to run on to the field to drag him off before he got run over by his corps mates (one of the people who dragged him off broke his own ankle in the effort to get him off the field). Anyway, it turned out he had been nursing a stress fracture (on his tibia) all season long, and his leg finally couldn't take it any longer. It was a horrifying sight.

escaflowne9282
05-04-2011, 04:15 AM
You missed my point entirely. Another poster stated that Michelle gave up her spot for the benefit of the U.S. team. I disagreed. If Michelle had been thinking of the team she would have given it up earlier so the alternate could have been better prepared. She was thinking of her own career by hanging on until the bitter end. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'm saying that it isn't customary for figure skaters to base their decisions on the good of the U.S. team or to consider themselves teamplayers.

The good of the US team? The results from the Olympics have no bearing whatsoever on future Worlds or Olympic spots. Kwan could have skated and swirled on her rear in place of doing jumps and wound up in last place ,and no future spots would have been in jeopardy. That, for me, makes Team Flatt's actions much more questionable.

Aside from which , Emily really was not capable of finishing any higher than she did in Turin.

Coco
05-04-2011, 04:34 AM
I believe last fall, Tom said he hoped to continue to work with Rachael in some capacity when she goes off to Stanford. I doubt that's going to happen now...Rachael has got to be aware of the backlash this caused, and I wouldn't be surprised if she disassociates herself with him as soon as possible. She has got to get away from him!

Beyond everything else, if I were her, I'd be very hurt at how he tossed her under the bus AFTER the fact. To blame her two skates on nerves and not the injury to her landing leg!?!?!

Who is buying that? So few that it makes the coach who tries to sell that bull just....stupid! I mean, to risk the relationship with Flatt, who has been so loyal to him while her skating is picked apart in the skating community, just to cover his own butt.

It's just one appalling decision by Tom Z. after another.

AxelAnnie
05-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Actually, Rachael is over 18 now. The contract is between her and Tom Z. Her parents can advise, but they're not responsible for decisions she makes.

Legally that is true. . . . But as long as they are footing the bills. . . They have a shout. . . Not just a say.

Louis
05-04-2011, 04:42 AM
I think this is a forgiveable mistake, though one that will have consequences.

Flatt's overall conditioning was not that bad -- she could still do triple flip, attempted a 2A+3T, and showed no evidence of stamina issues. She probably thought she could pull a rabbit out of her hat when it counted. She's 18, after all.

That said, I expect her PCS to be very tepid next season. I think her "default" slot at Nationals will be somewhere around 4th - 6th, and it will take a season of clean programs with triple-triples to convince the judges to consider more than that.

Mayra
05-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Flatt's overall conditioning was not that bad -- she could still do triple flip, attempted a 2A+3T, and showed no evidence of stamina issues. She probably thought she could pull a rabbit out of her hat when it counted. She's 18, after all.

She also had strong motivation to think the above was true. She starts Stanford in the fall and this could very well have been her last Worlds. If she was skating even halfway decently in practice, I could see her wanting to have one last hurrah and making the trip to Moscow on a hope and a prayer.

Obviously not the best choice to make in such a politically motivated sport, but if she's moving on, I'm not sure it will even matter in the long run.

IceAlisa
05-04-2011, 05:09 AM
She also had strong motivation to think the above was true. She starts Stanford in the fall and this could very well have been her last Worlds. If she was skating even halfway decently in practice, I could see her wanting to have one last hurrah and making the trip to Moscow on a hope and a prayer.

Obviously not the best choice to make in such a politically motivated sport, but if she's moving on, I'm not sure it will even matter in the long run.

I agree with this. I think if she knew she had other opportunities at Worlds she would have been more likely to WD. As it was, she wanted this last experience no matter what. Or perhaps--and I do think it's likely--she really did overestimate herself.

stjeaskategym
05-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Gutting it out through injuries, even ones more serious than Rachael's, is such a common occurrence in sports that I'm surprised so many people are shocked that she did not withdraw. I agree with those who believe Mirai should have at least been notified that Rachael was quite injured and that there was a legit chance of her withdrawing last minute. But I really didn't expect Rachael to withdraw over a stress fracture that didn't require immediate attention. To me, it seemed like her injury got a lot worse between the SP and LP... I believe Tom when he said Rachael was still skating fine enough leading up to Worlds. I know how hard it is to do a sport with an injury and I think Rachael showed a lot of character by trying to tough it out. If she had withdrawn after the SP, then there really would have been no shot at getting 3 spots. A situation like this reiterates how difficult it is to earn 3 spots with only 2 skaters. So many things have to go right for it to work out.

The Fly On The Wall
05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
If the girls' roles had been reversed, if it had been Mirai who skated hurt and Rachael who didn't get the call, would we be having this same discussion? I bet people would be praising Mirai for her bravery and courage and "toughing it out."