PDA

View Full Version : Flatt hurt for Worlds but skates anyways !

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

floskate
05-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Wouldn't the USFSA as a matter of caution, apply for visa's for all the alternates, knowing the amount of red tape involved? Minimal expense to cover something so important. Then, if an alternate were called up, it would just be a case of packing and getting on a plane.

aftershocks
05-03-2011, 07:47 AM
RE above comments/ query by Marco, those Kwan examples occurred under different circumstances that were known by all well in advance. However, Flatt and coach should have been more forthcoming about her nagging injury, so at the very least all concerned would have had a heads-up and Flatt could have been closely monitored, and Mirai could have (quietly if possible, so as not to build up media attention) flown to Moscow as a precautionary measure.

Right two different things: Flatt being gifted at Nationals, and her nagging injury being kept hidden/ denied by her team, until she was on the ice, and it was too late. I felt sorry for her watching her skate at Worlds, and sad again when she pitiably crossed her fingers (as if hoping she'd get slack from the judges). It was all way too late to do anything. Far too late even to "stick with the program," because that's the poor decision that led to her disastrous skate.

I like Hersh's different tack of stating the facts without embellishments. Flatt's comments make her just seem confused. Hurting and confused about what jump to do in the short to avoid feeling pain; and just plain hurting throughout her long program. Coach Tom Z sounds like he wanted to believe Rachael could do all her elements and get three spots for the U.S. ladies, rather than wanting to accept the fact that maybe she was hurting and maybe there might be a problem with pushing her, or encouraging her to push herself.

IceAlisa
05-03-2011, 07:48 AM
If Flatt's condition was apparent April 22, that was ample time for Mirai to get there. If Tom Z.'s response is merely that Rachel could do the elements of her programs, that's a very tepid defense to Rachel's abilities.

Well, the argument is that there wasn't enough time to obtain a visa for Mirai. The question is, did team Rachael know this for a fact? Perhaps there are expedited procedures for a visa in that situation?

agalisgv
05-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Well, the argument is that there wasn't enough time to obtain a visa for Mirai. The question is, did team Rachael know this for a fact? Perhaps there are expedited procedures for a visa in that situation? My guess is this:
Wouldn't the USFSA as a matter of caution, apply for visa's for all the alternates, knowing the amount of red tape involved? Minimal expense to cover something so important. Then, if an alternate were called up, it would just be a case of packing and getting on a plane. I think the only issue would have been getting a flight, and that was entirely doable.

To me the tell tale sign is Frank's response--he's given the dates and details, and he is saying Mirai could have been there. That says to me logistically it was entirely possible.

Sasha'sSpins
05-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Flatt was injured so much of this season, I wondered if it was due to her skating 'full time' and pushing her body too far too fast. Comments?

I've been wondering if it was training those triple lutz/triple loops.

Not suggesting the result is her fault, but this may come back to get her next year.

Yes it may-if she comes back.

Frank isn't pleased: http://bit.ly/kvxxgX

I don't blame him. He's got a right to be just a tiny bit pi$$ed off if it's true Flatt's camp knew she had a stress fracture and still decided to go ahead and let her compete, thereby denying Nagasu the chance to compete healthy, and possibly helping to gain the U.S. those 3 spots. I'm a little p.o.ed myself. Frank is pretty well frank imo, like when he stated Mirai 'gave it away' at Nats, and that she had only started training hard just a few weeks before the competition. I totally believe him when he states Mirai was training triple axels, and triple toes/triple loop combos and was ready.

The more I learn the more I'm doing a slow boil..

Marco
05-03-2011, 08:01 AM
And didn't Moscow stick its head out to say they will expedite everyone's visa application for Worlds? (in the event that she hasn't applied for a visa yet?)

aftershocks, my Kwan / Lillehammer example is to prove Frank is always prepared for his students who have been named as alternates.

This is again totally a separate matter, but given the level of skating of the final 2 groups, it seems to me a 3loop2toe, 3toe, 2axel short program and a 2 3loops, 2 3toes, 1 3sal and 2 2axels free skate could do the trick for her already.

Sasha'sSpins
05-03-2011, 08:10 AM
OK, this says they found out on April 22 which was a week before. Is a week not long enough to WD and be replaced by Mirai, not long enough to get Mirai and team visas?

This. Although in case of MK and Emily, it was well known in advance that MK may not be able to compete having not skated the whole season and being a generally a question mark. So it was known that Emily had her bags packed. Mirai most likely had not a hint of Rachael's condition.

That seems to be the story from what I've gathered so far- Frank and Mirai weren't given a clue, or told to be ready just in case. Hopefully they'll be some clarity in the next few days since it seems the officials finally appear to want some answers (helped along by Hersh it would appear).

IceAlisa
05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Well, we can only sit here and :wall: over the needlessly lost opportunity for Mirai and the US.

Sasha'sSpins
05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, we can only sit here and :wall: over the needlessly lost opportunity for Mirai and the US.

Sigh.Yes. Think I'll go have a drink now.:summer:

Then I'll go :wall: some more :lol:

Yukari Lepisto
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Mirai taking a subtle jab at Rachael? ;)

http://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu
Coincidence: I'm going home the same day everyone from worlds is...and I had just as much fun as them!:)

newbatgirl
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Coincidence: I'm going home the same day everyone from worlds is...and I had just as much fun as them!:)

I doubt it, Mirai does not do subtle.

Oldsk8ter
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I doubt it,.Mirai does not do subtle.

:lol:

Wyliefan
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I doubt it, Mirai does not do subtle.

Agreed. :lol:

Frau Muller
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Mirai is something else! :rofl:

This entire episode is most unfortunate, esp. for Camp Zakrajcek. They may have won the short-term ballet -- Rachael went and 'skated' at Worlds -- but likely lost the war --he & his skaters will no longer be given the benefit of the doubt by USFS.

Aceon6
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
The more I think about this, the more likely it is that Rachael is angry, too. Along the lines of "I defer college and what do I get? Overtrained, injured, pushed on to the ice, and ripped a new one in the skating media."